Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2017, 20:12   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Is it time to bring back national ID cards?

The thread title says it all. We need a way of proving who people are and what entitlements they have in this country. It's over 10 years since the liberal do gooders whinged and moaned about us becoming a police state if we had to have and card ID cards. Look at what has happened in the last 10 years, we need to bring them back.
Old 26-05-2017, 20:30   #2
Full Member+

Re: Is it time to bring back national ID cards?

I could not agree more Neil. I would be ok I still have mine !!!! I do not see how any right minded folk could oppose bringing them back. Anything that makes us safer certainly has my backing.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 20:59   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

100% sure Neil.
Old 26-05-2017, 21:13   #4
Beacon of light

No, I do not want an ID card...we have had this discussion before in the past.
Nothing has happened that changes my mind.

How will having ID cards change anything?
If I need hospital treatment I have proof of my NI number (and a hospital number too)which proves my entitlement.
What else would I need identification for.
The HMRC know who I am and where to find me...the DWP also have all my details. The DVLA too.

I do not consider myself a hand wringing liberal...in fact I am so far from that I couldn't be any further away if I tried.

Neil what is it that has happened in the last ten years....what precisely is it you are referring to?
Immigration, security?

I do not see how having and ID card would improve things...after all if they can clone bank cards, then an ID card would be small beer....who is going to looking at these ID cards? Who is going to be checking who you are? For what reason?

They are something that is totally unnecessary and I am sure they would come at a cost...would have to be renewed.
There are many ways already in existence which allow you to,prove who you are, you do not need to add another one to the mix.
kestrelx, Foreigner and hilleluk like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 26-05-2017 at 21:16.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 21:33   #5
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I could not agree more Neil. I would be ok I still have mine !!!! I do not see how any right minded folk could oppose bringing them back. Anything that makes us safer certainly has my backing.
You would be OK because you still have yours.
In the time that you have had it, how many times have you been required to present it?
Who was it who wanted to see your ID?
Could you have presented an alternative...say a driving licence, a passport?
I carried ID on a daily basis when I was working. I cannot say that my identity was ever challenged...or that I was ever asked to prove who I was.
So I do not see any point at this stage of my life in being required to carry an ID card...but if you WANT to carry one, if it makes you feel in any way safer, then that is fine...but don't make them compulsory because I won't use one.
Foreigner likes this.
Old 26-05-2017, 22:18   #6
Senior Member+

I carried a gas safe card with me when I was working .I only got asked for it once in 30years
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 23:32   #7
Senior Member+

Never had a problem with ID cards - had one for 18 years in the RAF, Company and Saudi ID cards for 17 years whilst in Saudi Arabia, plus my Company ID card when visiting Company plants in Maryland and Puerto Rica. No different than a UK photo Driving Licence really. Anybody with nothing to hide should have no fears whatsoever about carrying one. It will make security a lot more effective.
Old 26-05-2017, 23:33   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

There are many ways to ID yourself to different organisations but it makes sense to have one way acceptable to all.
Old 27-05-2017, 07:01   #9
Beacon of light

No Neil, the ways we have now should be acceptable to anyone who needs to know who you are...though the only place I have been asked for ID is in the bank...and that was only because I was acting as agent for my Ma...and they accepted my bank card as ID...oh, I lie...I have been asked for ID at the post office when picking up a parcel...and they also accepted my bank card.

I have not been required to present ID for dental treatment(which I pay for anyway), or for hospital treatment...or for anything else.
As I said previously, if coins and bank cards can be easily faked, then it would present the criminals with opportunities to set up a lucrative market for those who needed one.
I will not carry one.
The authorities can all find me, they know where I am, they know who I am.
I am not the one going about with my face covered.
We do not need another level of bureaucracy.
Foreigner likes this.
Old 27-05-2017, 07:13   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Never had a problem with ID cards - had one for 18 years in the RAF, Company and Saudi ID cards for 17 years whilst in Saudi Arabia, plus my Company ID card when visiting Company plants in Maryland and Puerto Rica. No different than a UK photo Driving Licence really. Anybody with nothing to hide should have no fears whatsoever about carrying one. It will make security a lot more effective.
Barrie, I have nothing to hide...but see no valid reason for having one.
I also carried ID whilst working for the NHS...it NEVER needed presenting.
I was NEVER asked for it.
How will it make security more effective?
We do not know who is in this country and that is a fact. This is because our border controls are laughable
Not only that, for those who have malicious intent, those who want to do us harm...they would easily get faked documents. So it makes a mockery of the fact that law abiding people carry something which they feel makes them legitimate, and those who are illegals can fake them to thwart the authorities.

If they are voluntary, if you actually want to carry another bit of stuff.If it,makes you think a terrorist bomber won't blow you up in some public place while you are going about your daily doing...then you have one.

I can prove who I am without one...in more than one format...so I will not be having one.
Here endeth my input to this thread. I have said it all before...I'm done.
maxthecollie and Foreigner like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-05-2017 at 07:18.
Old 27-05-2017, 07:14   #11

I personally do not think that we need an ID card. Agree with nearly all of MP comments.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 12:18   #12
Beacon of light

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-47273-7.html
Old 27-05-2017, 16:33   #13
God Member

great idea

no id card

back down the tunnel you go son

used to be against the idea but we let that many unknowns in to teh country something needs doing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 20:19   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

There is no good reason to not have one. If you ever watch those police stop type TV programs you often see people giving false names and the police spending ages trying to find out who they really are.

I really can't understand why some people think they are a bad idea. I've no problem either with the police having the power to stop people for no reason at all except to check their ID.
Old 27-05-2017, 20:20   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
great idea

no id card

back down the tunnel you go son

used to be against the idea but we let that many unknowns in to teh country something needs doing
Maybe not down the tunnel but detained until you can produce ID to prove who you are.

We are too soft in this country and need to get tough.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..