Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2004, 12:46   #1
God Member

Is Rugby Legalised Thuggery?

Is the game of rugby (union more than league) a form of legalised hooliganism?
Where else could you get away with the levels of violence witnessed on a rugby pitch without being charged with an offence? Football fans and saturday night drunks have been charged and sentenced for lesser acts of brutality and thuggery than those committed every week-end on rugby pitches the length and breadth of the country whilst taking part in this so-called gentlemans game. What do you think?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2004, 12:58   #2
God Member

Re: Is Rugby Legalised Thuggery?

I take it, Yerself, you have never experianced the delights of the mans game?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 13:18   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I take it, Yerself, you have never experianced the delights of the mans game?

I fail to see how a broken jaw or nose, or possibly having a few teeth knocked out could possibly be construed as being a delight. By the way, whats happened to your name? Are you a teabag as opposed to a tealeaf these days?

Old 15-06-2004, 13:51   #4
God Member

The names got mucked up through mucking around with Roy's latest innovation - i was trying to get a "mirror" effect on the name & it's a complete mess (although if you think mine's bad, have a look at pussycat's.)

Back to Rugby....it's a physical contact sport so you're going to get a few breaks, bruises and a bit of claret. Remember, you don't have to play - there are risks but like in any other activity, you know them in advance.

in contrast to footy, there is no messing around with the ref, and apart from the occaisional bun fight, disipline prevails. You question the ref if he awards against you and it's 10 yards back, matey...any further argument and you're off. So called footy hard men like Roy Keene would'nt last 2 minutes on a Rugby field...he'd be laughed off before he'd be sent off.

The great thing is the social side...although you may be involved in a pugilist exchange one moment, 20 mins later you're the best of mates and having a few jars togeather....it's also nice to hear the supporters, which unlike in footy are usually able to profer objective critisism without constant recource to the F word verb, noun and adjective.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-06-2004 at 14:02.
Old 15-06-2004, 13:59   #5

So bloody-well there!

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 14:20   #6
God Member

And also players when interviewed tend not to speak entirely in tabloid cliche, thus proving that they also have brains as well as brawn. I agree entirely with Teabag. That bunch of pampered jades in portugal would no doubt be wetting themselves and calling for mummy at the prospect of facing the English national rugby team.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2004, 14:37   #7
God Member

They're not the same games, Bob, which means they're different.
Old 15-06-2004, 14:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The great thing is the social side...although you may be involved in a pugilist exchange one moment, 20 mins later you're the best of mates and having a few jars togeather
Exactly what I was saying...Legal Thuggery. If you did this outside the Stag on a saturday night or after a Manchester United match you'd be locked up.
It's little more than an excuse for public schoolboys and hooray henrys to beat each other up and escape being convicted, thereby not harming a future career in the city.

Old 15-06-2004, 14:51   #9
God Member

What are you on about, Yerself.........you were my school mate all those years ago & there is no way I'm a Hooray Henry. As for smashing each other up, at least it's done when we're sober, by mutual consent and we don't go round smashing bottles in other's faces.
Old 15-06-2004, 15:15   #10
God Member

Just trying to provoke debate Tealeaf, playing devil's advocate. I cast a fly upon the water and it seems you rose to take it. I've nothing against rugby really, it's just that somewhere on here I read that you were a rugby fan. London Irish?

Old 15-06-2004, 15:36   #11
God Member

Wasps & England.....and don't mention last saturdays result.
Old 15-06-2004, 19:39   #12
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Just trying to provoke debate Tealeaf, playing devil's advocate. I cast a fly upon the water and it seems you rose to take it. I've nothing against rugby really, it's just that somewhere on here I read that you were a rugby fan. London Irish?
Come Tealeaf you should know all about casting flies into the water and waiting for someone to bite you've been doing it on Accy Web for ages.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2004, 05:46   #13
God Member

Duhh! Thanks for straightening me out on that one mate, I had no idea that Association Football and Rugby Football were different. What a dope I am. Here's me been watching Rugby for years under the fond delusion that it was something else.
Old 16-06-2004, 05:49   #14
God Member

I suppose you are going to shatter my delusion that Sir Steven Redgrave is a pole vaulter next. And that fish dont really live in trees or that if you buy haddock on a wednesday it won't rain?
Old 16-06-2004, 07:55   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Duhh! Thanks for straightening me out on that one mate, I had no idea that Association Football and Rugby Football were different. What a dope I am. Here's me been watching Rugby for years under the fond delusion that it was something else.

Bob....this was supposed to be a pun on the linguistic nonsense that passes for TV and radio football commentry, - "Colemanballs" - I thought you would have picked it up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..