Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2008, 21:51   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Is the Accy accent changing?

I've never heard anyone in England refer to petrol as gas but a few American words are creeping in. One thing I have noticed locally is the increasing absence of the letter "t" in words. When I was younger milk came in bottles. Now it comes in "boh'ulls" or even "cahr'ons" Small ones are referred to as "Lih'uw"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2008, 21:53   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I've never heard anyone in England refer to petrol as gas but a few American words are creeping in. One thing I have noticed locally is the increasing absence of the letter "t" in words. When I was younger milk came in bottles. Now it comes in "boh'ulls" or even "cahr'ons" Small ones are referred to as "Lih'uw"
Not in my world.....English will do for me.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 10:37   #18
Resting in Peace

Well my accent has changed and I don't seem to use americanisms either, to me gas is something you cook with not put in your car
Old 28-08-2008, 10:48   #19
God Member

When you return home from USA with your accquired american twang, you will find that we, being polite and hospitable, will use the words that you understand, and avoid those that you won't. This doesn't mean that our language has changed - just that we are accommodating your lack of knowledge of ours (language).

When I had a penfriend in Montana, I wearied of explaining that a fortnight is 2 weeks, and that holidays are vacations and not just Christmas.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 11:50   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

i dunno about gas though. i've never heard ppl sayin that.
I do but then again I really do mean gas!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 13:59   #21

I don't see how an accent can change, the only thing that has changed is the slang, I,v noticed there is a lot more americen slang used today then there was when I was growing up.
Nori Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 14:40   #22
I am Banned

I think the way that people talk has changed - I dont know if it is the accent or as has been mentioned different use of slang -
I remember my elderly neighbours and how they used to talk it was what you would call broad lol
cup o'tai
goin ower t'hill
not many people talk like this in accrington now ( that i know of anyway ) but it did used to be "the norm"
as for petrol being called gas - some people do actually use gas not petrol.
so i dont know maybe it has changed over the years
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 14:55   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori Brick View Post
I don't see how an accent can change, the only thing that has changed is the slang, I,v noticed there is a lot more americen slang used today then there was when I was growing up.
yup our accent hasnt changed its just the words we use , this becomes more eveident if you jump over the boarder into yorkshire where they look at us funny because we pronounce 1 as beging with a W like won and they pronounce it with a U like wun

we still sound the same we just use different words like we dont use terms like "put woodt int ole" any more

if TV effected accents we woudl all be speaking like scousers with all teh scouse TV we were subjected to not so long ago like brookie and harry enfields calm down calm down lot lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 23:46   #24
God Member

When Americans mention gas I thought they were referring to the cause of flatulence.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 05:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsood99 View Post
I don't remember people commonly using the words 20+ years ago

guy - meaning bloke or chap
gas - meaning petrol
"like" - as a pause in sentences (he was, like, really cool)
cool - meaning great or wonderful
guy - regularly use guy over bloke or chap, but probably use bloke more when back in Lancs.
gas - never use or hear used
like - not as in "he was, like, really cool" (that's, like, really annoying) more as in "you know like, he was really cool, like"
cool - I'm cool with that.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:11   #26
God Member

Something that Canadians don't have is a variety of regional accents, unlike the English or, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Americans. The only distinctively different accents are those in the Maritime Provinces, particularly Newfoundland and Labrador, and Cape Breton. In most of the rest of Canada there is sort of a homogenised accent. I could not differentiate between a British Columbian and a Manitoban to save my life. Quebecois, of course, speak French; but it is a French with uniquely Canadian qualities.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 05:12   #27
God Member

Something that Canadians don't have is a variety of regional accents, unlike the English or, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Americans. The only distinctively different accents are those in the Maritime Provinces, particularly Newfoundland and Labrador, and Cape Breton. In most of the rest of Canada there is sort of a homogenised accent. I could not differentiate between a British Columbian and a Manitoban to save my life. Quebecois, of course, speak French; but it is a French with uniquely Canadian qualities.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:13   #28
God Member

Oops ... did I really do that?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..