Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 00:35   #31
God Member

Re: Is this Tesco Director right

The system of teaching in 'sets' is just one of the aspects of modern education that I feel leads directly to Ms Neville-Rolfe's complaints. I'm only going off my own experiences but the whole set-up of teaching pupils in different ways, while well-meaning, I found entirely backward. Perhaps it's a different case at other schools (also consider that it's been five years since I left) but there was very little movement between sets throughout my time there.
I was in the 'top set' (for want of a better term) throughout high school, as were most of the class I started with in year seven. One of my good friends in my registration form was in the 'bottom set' (again, for want of a better turn of phrase) from day one and stayed there throughout his secondary education, as did most in his set. We in the top set were encouraged and expected to go on to get A-levels and attend university while those in the bottom set were prepared to take part on vocational courses. Those teaching the bottom set were expecting bad behaviour from the students and this in turn encouraged bad behaviour. Again, vice versa with the top set.
I hate to sound like a sociology text book but this set up leads to self fulfilling prophecies in many cases. Of course there are foundations to be laid at home for a child's approach and attitude towards education but seeing as 11-16 year olds spend most of their time at school, big changes should be made to better craft the future for young people.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2010, 03:02   #32
God Member

re. shakermaker's above comments about kids being placed into 'top set' and 'bottom set' classes , I was one of those who failed the 11 plus and thus ended up at a Secondary Modern (Top Council in Gt. Harwood, later after amalgamation the Norden at Rishton) can only speak from experiance but in those days 'sets' were designated as streams A,B,C and D , A being the brightest kids and D being 'the not so bright' there was also an X class , which I suppose in these days would hold the "educationally retarded" and had kids in age ranging from 11 thru 15 in one class (seem to remember they had responsibility for the schools flower beds)
But, the way things operated at the Top Council/Norden was similar to the modern day football league , every year a number of lower performing pupils in one stream were relegated to a lower stream , and the better performing pupils of a lower stream moved up to a better ranking (and better teachers) this happened in every year . I don't belive anyone suffered PTS from being relegated .
I have to agree with Shakermakers arguement that kids are channelled into their futures at this early age .... in my case , kids in the A and B streams were sent for skilled apprenticeships whilst the kids in the lower grades were encouraged to find factory work, no idea what if any career advice was given to the kids in the X class .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37   #33
God Member

Maybe we should look beyond the schools and consider the value society in general places on education and associated intellectual pursuits.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 22:10   #34
God Member

I've worked in a few industries that employed school leavers on the basis that the employer could pay them lower wages... most of those youngsters at least had the wits to go out and get a job to earn a living and worked hard... you would get some older new starters in there first job that maybe had a degree in history or other and they would be placed in management.. most of them did not have clue and were useless.

Last edited by Mancie; 12-03-2010 at 22:13. Reason: spellin
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 13:16   #35
Resting in Peace

Just been listening to the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2.One of the callers to the show was a man who marks GCSE papers.
"Standards have declined dramatically. At one stage I thought I was marking an 11 plus paper"

So there you have it.Just as I thought.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 13:27   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe we should look beyond the schools and consider the value society in general places on education and associated intellectual pursuits.
as a general rule of thumb i think that is correct, also general i reckon the numpties come from parents of the same ilk.
Old 15-03-2010, 15:02   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as a general rule of thumb i think that is correct, also general i reckon the numpties come from parents of the same ilk.
You've been watching shameless too cashy
Old 15-03-2010, 19:08   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You've been watching shameless too cashy
what is that?
Old 16-03-2010, 09:15   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what is that?
Prog on Channel 4 cashy
Old 16-03-2010, 09:35   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Prog on Channel 4 cashy
Like me Cashy you don't need to watch it,We lived it.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 09:36   #41

You're not missing much cashy......it's a load of rubbish

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..