Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2010, 18:54   #31
God Member

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I assume then, that unlike many Countries in Europe there isn't an extensive network of cycle paths in UK for the pedalists to use & domineer ?

Believe me they're tinging their bell at you good style over here if you so much as step on their red denoted pathways, even old dears with sixteen stone of shopping & a zimmer frame aren't spared this harassment.
C'mon ... on that tiny island with a population density of about 1,000 sq/km there just ain't room for cycle paths ...

What pees me off is when there are cycle paths available, and there is no shortage in Kingston, the morons still prefer the sidewalks (over here the pavement is reserved for cars, trucks and buses).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2010, 18:58   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just a warning for people thinking of taking a stroll in Ossy in the near future, I'm digging my wheelchair out and am contemplating terrorising the footpaths
I think I may have offered before, but I still have a fairly decent motor from a '92 Harley Road King. With a few modifications it might just fit your wheelchair

All you will need is a badassed brain bucket, tastefully decorated with skulls and demons, and you will be good to go
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 01:10   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Coming out of Levenshulme last night, spotted (just about) a cyclist on a busy, but not that well lit road, no lights, dark clothing and on his mobile.. it didn't help that he was dark-skinned too ...

Agree, some very bad cyclists on the road, but can work both ways. My son cycles to work everyday and saw a comment on his Facebook page that he had developed a super hero power .. invisibility, which is only activated when he's on his bike and pedestrians are crossing the road or drivers pulling out of junctions. Yes, he wears all the gear including hi-viz waistcoat, etc.

Will always be disrespectful people on the roads and that can includes pedestrians.
I got abuse from a woman crossing the road because I didnt stop for her - when infact she walked out infront of me! I asked if she would have done that if I were a car and she replied of course not but I was on a bike so should have stopped...
and even if you are lit up like a christmas tree some drivers still wont see you..I have been nearly knocked off my bike by some drivers undertaking other motorists and coming up behind me in the cycle lane and then forcing me kerbside to get past, I have had cars overtaking on the other side of the road and coming at me head on ( but hey thats my fault he said?), I have also had car drivers open their doors onto cycle lanes when I have been going full pelt down the road and I can tell you its a hairy few seconds to then have them say 'oh I didnt know you were there - even though they passed me a few mins previous to get where they were at..
I could go on but its only the minority who dont pay attention, are rude and have no consideration to cyclists, likewise you get idiot cyclists who I do shake my head at when I see them as sometimes its cringeworty - I used to pass a girl on a bike during the winter on manchester road ( I am heading to accrington) and at rush hour she never had lights on her bike, wore dark clothing and no helmet.. and I used to want to shout at her to get off the road as she was a danger to herself and car drivers! scary brainless people out there!!
I dont use pavements, dont jump red lights, have insurance, observe the highway code and in winter I have 600 watt front lights which can be seen for miles (they look like light sabres on a foggy morning!) as well as high viz cycling jackets and I have my bike serviced more often than not..
does that stop me getting nearly ran over - of course it doesnt..but you could say the same for the car driver - they have their car, lights etc - does that stop someone hitting them - of course not..
I actually bought a little video camera (muvi) for the front of my bike so I can record my daily jaunts and pick up any dangerous driving as I go along..as I never know when it may come in handy..

Last edited by glasgow guy; 24-07-2010 at 01:18.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 01:45   #34
God Member

Less (original poster) , just be glad you dont live in a major metropolitan area otherwise you would have to put up with the clowns from 'Critical Mass'

Critical Mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:32   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think I may have offered before, but I still have a fairly decent motor from a '92 Harley Road King. With a few modifications it might just fit your wheelchair

All you will need is a badass brain bucket, tastefully decorated with skulls and demons, and you will be good to go
Sorry Eric, but I've never ever been into Motor bikes at all, in fact I've only been on one once, when was a teenager and a mate took me down Ewood for a night match, the game was good but the travel was bloody horrifying
Old 24-07-2010, 09:55   #36
God Member

of course cyclists should reclaim teh road and as soon as they pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for all the crap our roads are painted with to accomodate them i will be right behind them ( at 30mph so they better pedal fast)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 10:48   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
of course cyclists should reclaim teh road and as soon as they pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for all the crap our roads are painted with to accomodate them i will be right behind them ( at 30mph so they better pedal fast)
I don't think taxing the cyclist is the way forward at this particular moment in time Accyman.

They do not have the same wear and tear on road surfaces as motorists, are not guilty of any carbon emissions (except maybe a fart now and then with the seat position... ), and also at a time when the Government is trying to get people out of their cars and on to public transport; not only because of the increasing congestion, but for environmental and health reasons.

It is not going to get any better now either ... the transport cuts have been horrendous by this new government and lots of new roads/improvements now put on hold, which the Labour Government approved.

You'll be campaigning to tax wheelchairs next !

It's a difficult one too when our children are very young and on their three wheelers we instruct them not to go on the road, but then later not to ride on the pavement.

Last edited by katex; 24-07-2010 at 10:52.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:36   #38
Resting in Peace

Tax Wheelchairs Kate and I've just oiled my wheels
Old 24-07-2010, 13:16   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
then I will reclaim my section of road as I pay my road tax etc on the car thats left at home whilst I cycle to work and I also have a stand alone insurance policy for my bike.
so my money has gone into the system.

over to you.
Old 24-07-2010, 13:28   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't think taxing the cyclist is the way forward at this particular moment in time Accyman.

They do not have the same wear and tear on road surfaces as motorists, are not guilty of any carbon emissions (except maybe a fart now and then with the seat position... ), and also at a time when the Government is trying to get people out of their cars and on to public transport; not only because of the increasing congestion, but for environmental and health reasons.

It is not going to get any better now either ... the transport cuts have been horrendous by this new government and lots of new roads/improvements now put on hold, which the Labour Government approved.

You'll be campaigning to tax wheelchairs next !

It's a difficult one too when our children are very young and on their three wheelers we instruct them not to go on the road, but then later not to ride on the pavement.
if a cyclist hits my car it cost me not them so they should have insurance period and although they may not cause as much wear and tear on the roads a lot of money goes on making roads safer for them like cycle lanes for example and it isnt free so i dont think its unreasonable for cyclists to pay their way these days.Only today i have had to swerve out the way of some idiot on a pushbike because they decided they wanted to cycle in the middle of the road and swerved out without even looking yet if i had hit him my car would be damaged and my insurance would be footing the bill at my expense with excess and extra premiums when i renew my policy.

mind you if i had my way bycicles would have number plates like cars and cyclists given the same 12 points a driver has to go at.Just because they are smaller dosnt mean they cant cause lots of damage

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 24-07-2010, 13:32   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
then I will reclaim my section of road as I pay my road tax etc on the car thats left at home whilst I cycle to work and I also have a stand alone insurance policy for my bike.
so my money has gone into the system.

over to you.
road tax dosnt actualy go on the roads so you cant claim jack but i dont see why cyclists shoudnt have to pay into the same pot motorists or motorcyclists do.

if you run 2 cars you pay 2 lots of road tax so if you have 1 car and one bike you shoudl still pay 2 lots of road tax

naturaly at a lower rate im not a total meanie lol

Old 24-07-2010, 14:24   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
if a cyclist hits my car it cost me not them so they should have insurance period and although they may not cause as much wear and tear on the roads a lot of money goes on making roads safer for them like cycle lanes for example and it isnt free so i dont think its unreasonable for cyclists to pay their way these days.
Again, cycle lanes are just a way that we are being persuaded to get out of the car Accyman ... to accommodate them better ... a carrot so to speak, so taxing cyclists would just cancel out the campaign.

Like I have already stated, congestion is going to be a huge issue in the future if it is not being addressed now.

Not averse to some type of insurance for cyclists, and lots do have some form of Public Liability insurance, but not quite sure how it would work with younger riders ... lots of under 18's out there on the road. Does need looking into. Not compulsory at the moment though. It would cover the cyclist too if hit by a car and allow legal fees to cover any claims.

Yesterday myself, was driving around the estate at Clayton and three children (8 >> 13 years) were meandering in and out of the road ... playing over the road humps, etc., just having fun really. The youngest came on the inside of me and he had to stop before he hit me ... I did mouth a few choice words to him.

Then I parked up opposite the Woodlands on Whalley Road. Within a minute a lad of about 16 came belting along the pavement followed by another youth on a skateboard ! Minute later, cyclist was travelling very fast on the road ...nothing illegal, but no cycling gear whatsoever and the road is up for repair there and ironworks on display .. could easily have hit one of these bumps.

Faults on both sides ... can just imagine you cussing if a cyclist is proceeding correctly and not going quick enough for you ...
Old 24-07-2010, 14:26   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
road tax dosnt actualy go on the roads so you cant claim jack but i dont see why cyclists shoudnt have to pay into the same pot motorists or motorcyclists do.

Of course road tax goes to maintaining and building new roads ... just difficult to tell just how much as goes into the one pot as with Income Tax.
Old 24-07-2010, 14:31   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Quote:
road tax dosnt actualy go on the roads so you cant claim jack
hmmm in your top post you seem to say that cyclists should pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for the roads and whats painted on them but in your second post you say that roadtac doesnt actually go on the roads..

you have me confused now either it does or it doesnt but it looks like your contradicting yourself there..

and why should I pay road tax for a push bike -
do those motorised wheelchairs pay road tax? and they are a danger on the road - 5mph all the way..
and if I hit a car and it was my fault then my insurance would pay out 100% - like wise if a car hit me and I was to survive it I would claim on there insurance..
and you cant tar every cyclist with the same brush - if someone pulls into the middle of the road without looking over their right shoulder then they are fair game in my eyes - its the same principal when sitting your bike test - always look over your right shoulder as it may save your life one day.
this argument has been going on for decades and may continue to for years to come but one thing I do think that should be implemented is the following...its kinda the same as when you buy a moped..

when you buy a new bike you should have to sit a basic cycle test so you know your highway code - the cost of this £20/25? would be included in the price of the bike and test carried out at a local police station.
where you would be taught by a professional.
if you were to buy said bike and not go then its your loss as you would have already paid the money and its therefore gone into the system.

now that I wouldnt have a problem with as I see far too many idiots cycling down roads and going round roundabouts with totally no idea what lane they should be in..

what I dont get is a pcso on a pushbike pulling me over telling me I was going too fast - when I asked him what the speed limit was for a cycle he just looked at me blankly - I told him if I was going faster than the 40mph+ moving traffic then I would be fair play but the fact I am on a bike like him then its a waste of time stopping me..and off I went leaving him there looking a tit...
surely if the (ahem) law and I use that term loosely for pcso's are trying to uphold then they should really know what they are talking about..
Old 24-07-2010, 15:18   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
hmmm in your top post you seem to say that cyclists should pay insurance and roadtax to help pay for the roads and whats painted on them but in your second post you say that roadtac doesnt actually go on the roads..
for most of my life like many others i was under the false impression that road tax was collected for the maintainance and buildning of new roads and that myth has been deep routed into my memory.I later remembered that road tax is not used for that and is merely a tax which gets spent on anything but roads.This argument arose a few years ago on here about road tax and somone fished out the relevant information proving road tax isnt for road maintainance and is merely the name given to the tax and not a descriptoion of its purpous.Hence my two contradicting remarks

regardless cyclists should have cover to protect people from the damage they do to cars or personal injuries they cause to pedestrians,i dont see why cyclists shoudl get off scott free when they are negligent on teh roads

Last edited by accyman; 24-07-2010 at 15:23.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..