Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 10:37   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archive View Post
Let common sense & consideration rule !
Cyclist should be allowed to ride on the pavements, as long as they are aware and considerate to pedestrians, and of course it depends on the locality. I ride on some single carriage rural roads (A585 fleetwood to the M55 ) where cars and HGV belt past you at 50+ mph, whilst the pavements alongside remain some of the most unused I've ever seen.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-safety-row.do
Common sense and consideration rule
cycles should be on the road, the pavements is for pedestrians end of
Old 10-08-2010, 12:39   #122
Junior Member+

The highway code is not the law but an advisery.
Laws made should be policed .
You can complain for ever but unless the police are doing their job you are wasting your time.
I refuse to drive in the cycle lanes , people look a bit miffed in the rearview mirrow.
I don`t park on the pavement, ( i was fined for parking my motorcycle on the pavement.The pavement was at least 2 cars wide) I walk in the road to get around . I have not seen the police do anything.
Mini roundabouts are a pain ,I go around them.
The problem IS the people , they just don`t give a dam. I`m alright Jack.
I stick to just below the speed limit....

Last edited by Mick; 11-08-2010 at 04:51. Reason: language
s.pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 14:05   #123
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.pollard View Post
The highway code is not the law but an advisery.
Wrong.

Quote:
The Highway Code

Introduction

This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.

The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as much as to drivers and riders.

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. An explanation of the abbreviations can be found in 'The road user and the law'.
Taken from:-
Introduction : Directgov - Travel and transport
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:02   #124
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Manners maketh the person" (Note the PC bit) So to get Cyclists off the streets they can use canal towpaths & here's how they're expected to behave.

Debrett's issues Code of Conduct to cyclists and other towpath users - Telegraph
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 08:55   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
"Manners maketh the person" (Note the PC bit) So to get Cyclists off the streets they can use canal towpaths & here's how they're expected to behave.

Debrett's issues Code of Conduct to cyclists and other towpath users - Telegraph
Quote:
Debrett's has told cyclists ring their bells
Around here, firstly they would have to nick a bell.
Old 01-01-2016, 20:52   #126

So yet again, walking home in the dark someone on a pushbike tried to push me into the gutter of a busy road, why, because he was on the pavement behind me and impatient.
When I protested it seems I was at fault, he claims it was my fault, no doubt it was my fault after all, I'm a pedestrian using the pavement, he is on a bicycle and I was in his way.
Try to explain to these people that you have right of way on a pavement, he and others just come straight back with abuse!
When is the actual law going to be applied to stop these folk creeping up behind us?

I do at times use my own pushbike but always on the actual Rd. the way it used to be when I first taught to ride one.

As the title say's, Cyclists should re-claim the Rd. NOT use the pavement just because the Police won't tell them to.
Old 01-01-2016, 21:13   #127

How's this, Less. Not sure what the law is over there but here in South Australia they brought in a law last October which states that motorists have to keep 1 metre away from cyclists when passing them and that cyclists ARE ALLOWED TO RIDE ON THE FOOTPATH!

As most of them do not carry a warning device (although they are supposed to) just imagine some poor old dear (me, for instance!) suddenly having a bike come up behind the old bod and whizz past on the footpath. It's enough to cause an accident, an apoplexy - and who pays any expenses related to this if it happens, cyclists are not insured. Is that the next thing planned - that cyclists have to be insured?
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 21:54   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
How's this, Less. Not sure what the law is over there but here in South Australia they brought in a law last October which states that motorists have to keep 1 metre away from cyclists when passing them and that cyclists ARE ALLOWED TO RIDE ON THE FOOTPATH!

As most of them do not carry a warning device (although they are supposed to) just imagine some poor old dear (me, for instance!) suddenly having a bike come up behind the old bod and whizz past on the footpath. It's enough to cause an accident, an apoplexy - and who pays any expenses related to this if it happens, cyclists are not insured. Is that the next thing planned - that cyclists have to be insured?
It doesn't matter love, just re-read the whole of this carp, it started with a similar post, no-one and nothing has changed except...

...I find it harder to jump out of the way of the oncoming traffic I've been forced to share a gutter with by the ignorant pavement cyclist.
Old 01-01-2016, 22:37   #129
I am Banned

Some thing never change eh? Wizz
You not wanting to share the gutter you are in.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 22:40   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Some thing never change eh? Wizz
You not wanting to share the gutter you are in.
Oh joy of joy's you arrive back to prove your worth, which has never yet met the plus side of zero.
I do hope your attempts at humour (insult?) Improve if you mature.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:25   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

They "cyclists" like that learn quicker with a punch in the gob.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:24   #132
God Member

theres a new craze now where some cyclists get themselves a head camera and deliberately put themselves in dangerous situations then upload their video to facebook of their own stupidity calling the driver they set up an idiot

if this goes wrong i can assure you its more than likely no car , van or truck driver will be seriously injured but there will be on less idiot on the road or pavement

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 02-01-2016 at 10:27.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:58   #133
God Member

clearly the bus driver is completely in the wrong if this goes badly for the cyclist

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/cycl...100000867.html

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 13:12   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
clearly the bus driver is completely in the wrong if this goes badly for the cyclist

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/cycl...100000867.html
For that to work around here the bus would have to be on the pavement.
Old 02-01-2016, 15:07   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
For that to work around here the bus would have to be on the pavement.
And I always thought that pavements were installed so that certain ethnic minorities/majorities, (take your pick), could park their cars on them with impunity.
silly me.

Stay happy, Your's Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..