Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2010, 18:18   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

When I ask this I don't mean kiddies just starting out, I mean the full blown acrylic short & Dick head safety helmet wearing cyclists that are into their Mid-life crisis.
The number of times we, the ordinary people are walking along pavements only to hear, (if your lucky), 'excuse me, can I get Past'? Often it's, 'will you F' off out of the way'.

Well excuse me? of course you can get past, your all kitted out for YOUR safety, but you seem to have omitted the little bell that the highway code suggests you should have, so I as a pedestrian haven't much choice, HAVE I?

Silly me you only need a bell as a road user, not someone on the pavement!

If confronted and asked why not use the road, they claim it's too dangerous! Well let me tell you it was dangerous in the 50's, the 60's and every other decade but it's your choice, if you want safe roads for cyclists then form a protest,

DON'T EXPECT MYSELF AND FELLOW PEDESTRIANS TO HAVE TO PUT UP WITH YOU!

You kit yourself out in protective gear but don't seem to care about our safety, you're a big boy/girl now, live with your choice leave the pavements for those it's meant for.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2010, 18:21   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

One of my pet hates that, Pavement Cyclists of the adult species should be shot.
Old 22-07-2010, 18:27   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
One of my pet hates that, Pavement Cyclists of the adult species should be shot.
Thats to good for um
Old 22-07-2010, 18:42   #4

Of course, for cyclists to re-claim the road, they will have to obey the rules of the road, no more cutting through traffic lights when they are on red, no more jumping off the road onto the pavement to take short cuts.

What they will have to become is responsible road users, somehow I can't see that happening, the rest of us are left having to consider them as horses and other animals, they are dumb & unpredictable, always give them a wide birth and whatever you do, don't knock one off his bike, it's your insurance that will suffer, he/she hasn't got any.
Old 22-07-2010, 18:55   #5
Senior Member+

My understanding is that it is against the law to ride a bike on the pavement - nor are you obliged to stop -as a motorist, for a cyclist on a pedestrian crossing.
Perhaps some of our politico members should take this problem up with the police?
Old 22-07-2010, 18:55   #6
God Member

I do cycle and not on pavements. Though I did end up on one on Tuesday after work thanks to some skidmark in a car. Got a buckled wheel out of it. I have protective gear but it would have done me no good.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
My understanding is that it is against the law to ride a bike on the pavement - nor are you obliged to stop -as a motorist, for a cyclist on a pedestrian crossing.
Perhaps some of our politico members should take this problem up with the police?
The laws are already in place, it is up to the police to ENFORCE them, please don't try to turn this into a political thing just because that is what you are like.
Old 22-07-2010, 19:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The laws are already in place, it is up to the police to ENFORCE them, please don't try to turn this into a political thing just because that is what you are like.
Seen the police riding on pavements as well. Even they aint daft enough to take their chances on the road. Never seen anyone pulled for it either.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 19:12   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

For all you little pedalists out there :-

Rules for cyclists (59-82) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Less this should please you, rule nr 64.

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:14   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Seen the police riding on pavements as well. Even they aint daft enough to take their chances on the road. Never seen anyone pulled for it either.
Well known philosophy that, quite often used by your average plod

Do as I say & not as I do !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I nearly got run over on the pavement by the imitation policeman, (one of those warden thingamajigs), I notice that now if ever he sees me he moves back onto the road, quite right too, they should set the example of how our laws should be obeyed.
Old 22-07-2010, 19:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
For all you little pedalists out there :-

Rules for cyclists (59-82) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Less this should please you, rule nr 64.

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]
It doesn't please me, it would please me if the plod took the time to apply the law, if I drove my car on the pavement I would soon see the brown stuff covering an artificial wind device, cyclists aren't above OR exempt from the laws of the road, (or the land).
Old 22-07-2010, 19:23   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Have you taken it up with the police or is this just another of your mindless whinges? If you are only prepared to whinge about it on here and not complain to the police yourself then why not make your views known directly to a Council Member, have you done that?
I am not turning this into a "political thing" - as you do not know me how can you say that this is what I am like?
I do not indulge in politics in any way as invariably the people that do have inflexible ideas and beliefs, I speak my mind, that is all, and if you do not like my points of view you always have the right to ignore them, just as I shall ignore all future comments/whinges of yours.
Old 22-07-2010, 19:31   #14
God Member

Quote:
It doesn't please me, it would please me if the plod took the time to apply the law, if I drove my car on the pavement I would soon see the brown stuff covering an artificial wind device, cyclists aren't above OR exempt from the laws of the road, (or the land).
Yet it is seems to be ok for motorists to force you on the pavement with their irresponsable actions. Me I am quite happy using the road but if a driver cannot see me despite lights and reflective clothing then they need their eyes tested. I would be quite happy to pay for insurance a bike mot etc. That seems to be the motorists biggest gripe.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 19:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Have you taken it up with the police or is this just another of your mindless whinges? If you are only prepared to whinge about it on here and not complain to the police yourself then why not make your views known directly to a Council Member, have you done that?
I am not turning this into a "political thing" - as you do not know me how can you say that this is what I am like?
I do not indulge in politics in any way as invariably the people that do have inflexible ideas and beliefs, I speak my mind, that is all, and if you do not like my points of view you always have the right to ignore them, just as I shall ignore all future comments/whinges of yours.
My words, what a wonderful phrase,
Quote:
another of your mindless whinges?
Please ignore the rest of your post where you go on to tell us that you speak your mind, (you went to full capacity on that when you introduced yourself some time ago), you wanted to blame the politicians, well yes, perhaps your right, it's their fault because they haven't nagged the Police to enforce the laws that we have, OR perhaps it isn't their fault, the laws are in place with no excuse for the Police not to enforce them.

P.S. Love you too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..