Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree235Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2020, 21:36   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Isolation calendar.

Things are serious when a trip to the launderette is considered exciting.
Though to be truthful watching the washing go round would be preferable to some of the stuff that is on TV right now.
Ryewolf90 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2020, 01:27   #77

I went out yesterday as I had some business to do. This was only the 4th time in a self-isolating period of some 4 weeks as I am doing the ‘right thing’ because of my age. While I was out I went to one of the bigger shops as I needed a couple of things. This was the first time I had actually been in a supermarket in those four weeks.

I did not enjoy that ‘excursion’ at all. I dislike shopping at the best of times but walking round the shop with a lot of zombies is not my idea of fun. That’s what it seemed like – not that I have ever been in the company of zombies before of course. No-one smiled (sadly that’s not unusual even in better times) and everyone walked at a slow and steady pace with fixed looks on their faces – dead-pan looks. No-one spoke. No-one smiled. Okay – maybe it isn’t such a happy time but surely it wouldn’t hurt to exercise the zygomaticus major muscle now and then (of course everyone knows that’s what it’s called – the muscle that makes us smile – thanks Safari, where would I be without you). Maybe even a bit of laughter thrown in wouldn’t hurt.

There were plenty of goods on the shelves, no need for despair there, but it was all quite depressing. Have to say I was very happy to get home again. I think I might be turning into a hermit by choice. At least at home I can look in the mirror and laugh at what I see there…albeit hysterically.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 02:02   #78
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Things are serious when a trip to the launderette is considered exciting.
Though to be truthful watching the washing go round would be preferable to some of the stuff that is on TV right now.

You can't even sit in the launderette and watch your washing or anyone elses for that matter you have to go home or sit in your car....
Old 17-04-2020, 02:22   #79
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
No-one smiled (sadly that’s not unusual even in better times) and everyone walked at a slow and steady pace with fixed looks on their faces – dead-pan looks. No-one spoke. No-one smiled.

I found that most people are talking to each other because they've lost their usual means of chatting to people. Yes the shuffling along, in a queue to get to the shops is pretty weird, I talk to people because it might be the only other person they talk to that day. And we're all in the same boat.... So the next time you're queuing to get in the supermarket talk to the person around you, it might be the only person they've spoken to in days.
Old 17-04-2020, 07:37   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

everyone speaks when we take freddie for his walk, most of em ive never seen before so aint bad at all here.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:57   #82
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
You can't even sit in the launderette and watch your washing or anyone elses for that matter you have to go home or sit in your car....
Nice thing to try but launderette here in my local was all closed.
monarchylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 13:06   #83
Beacon of light

apparently, it is OK to drive somewhere to enjoy a country walk...so there you are Hill Walker...you CAN enjoy a moorland walk....it is NOT illegal, it is permitted and it is probably a lot safer than going to the supermarket.

Likewise Ryewolf...if you want to go somewhere on a country walk...and take your camera...you can do that too...so these pleasures are not denied you...and they migh just make this isolation a bit more bearable.
They will certainly make it more pleasant for us because we get to see what you captured with your camera.
Old 17-04-2020, 14:34   #84

Quote:
apparently, it is OK to drive somewhere to enjoy a country walk...so there you are Hill Walker...you CAN enjoy a moorland walk....it is NOT illegal, it is permitted and it is probably a lot safer than going to the supermarket.

You are quite correct for England. Unfortunatly I'm in Wales where the restrictions are somewhat different. They are regulations not recommendations and do have the force of law. See:-

https://gov.wales/staying-home-and-away-others-guidance

Additionally I'm in the National Park which is closed and all off-road access is currently prohibited to the general public. The lunacy which I referred to was when just before the lockdown started, more people decended on various mountains and beaches in North and Mid Wales than had ever been seen on a single day before. They not only disobeyed what was at the time good advice but blocked many roads (with illegal parking) in a way that would have prevented access by emergency services had they been needed.

One twerp who had to be rescued from a mountain even asked his rescuers "where can I go tomorrow to take photos?'!!!!" see the 2nd incident report:-

https://ogwen-rescue.org.uk/incident-details/

I'm sure it was this sort of behaviour that caused Cardiff to introduce a stricter situation than London.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 14:59   #85
Beacon of light

Oh, that's a shame....I could just see youstriding over the Yorkshire moors.....with sheep looking balefully on.

In truth, I had not realised that the regulations in Wales were different.

Thank you for the links...they were enlightening.

We will both have to rely on Ryewolf then with his pictures of the outdoors.
Old 17-04-2020, 15:03   #86
Beacon of light

I had not heard of the Ogden Valley...I had to look it up.
The pictures I have looked at are very beautiful.
I can see why you miss your walks.
Old 17-04-2020, 15:08   #87

Quote:
Oh, that's a shame....I could just see youstriding over the Yorkshire moors.....with sheep looking balefully on.

In truth, I had not realised that the regulations in Wales were different.

Thank you for the links...they were enlightening.

We will both have to rely on Ryewolf then with his pictures of the outdoors.

No problem. Have a look at the video which I think was taken from a SNP warden's van and contemplate what the situation would be for a fire engine or ambulance trying to get through that lot and thats not the worst example that we saw that weekend. Remember also that for quite a few places in NW you are 45-60 minutes away from the nearest hospital and thats with blue lights and no traffic problems.

https://twitter.com/visitsnowdonia/s...32182394851328

All the cars on the right are illegally parked.

Last edited by Hill Walker; 17-04-2020 at 15:11. Reason: clarity
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 16:43   #88
Beacon of light

Yes I have spent time in Snowdonia .....Llyn Padarn, Llanberis pass, so I know there are some very isolated places...places that are very difficult for rescue vehicles to get to.
Old 17-04-2020, 21:15   #89
Full Member+

Day 25: A bit of history

1. Stanhill Hall
2. Old Stanhill Post Office where James Hargreaves invented his Spinning Jenny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stanhill-hall-9675.jpg (763.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg stanhill-post-office-9674.jpg (534.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 18-04-2020, 10:35   #90
God Member

[QUOTE=Ryewolf90;1239143] Earl Crag is on the main road from Colne to Keighley,

on my doorstep but never been. another occasion when you know less whats on your doorstep than you do miles away or in another country.
cashman and Ryewolf90 like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..