Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 18:19   #1
God Member

It won't be me..

As a fully paid up, out and proud, card carrying member of the Friends of Dorothy (uphill gardeners division), I would just like to say that the comments offered by HE Keith Cardinal O'Brien at the weekend on the subject of Gay Marriage are a complete load of cack. Moreover, they display a typical, reactionary, wilful misunderstanding of the intention of the proposed legislation. But then, like the press, the Church has never allowed the facts to get in the way of a good story/condemnation/witchhunt.

Similarly the justification for all this meddling by Call-me-Dave, gets up my, ever so slightly retrousse, nose as well. If he was a fellow Friend of Dorothy, I suppose I could understand it. But he isn't. And therein lies the problem.

For all of my life we happy breed of shirtlifters have been protesting our little pink socks off for the right to be treated just like anyone else. We are not victims, though some of us, I do admit, can overdo the martyr bit (Miss Tatchell) and end up being an embarrassment to everyone.

The vast majority of us would simply like to get on with our lives without let or hinderance, just like everyone else. We didn't need hate speech and we didn't need bullying. We didn't need the police breathing down our necks at every turn and we didn't want to feel the need to have to apologise for who and what we are. All that is now sorted. And now that we have Civil Partnerships the problem of wills, inheritance and tax is sorted too. And that's it really. It's taken 50 years to achieve but it is now all enshrined in law and it is something everyone should be proud of; all of us are equal-hallelujah!

Then Call-me-Dave comes along and drops a fly in the ointment with his pathetic insistance that marriage is the universal panacea and homo's, however stately, anti-social or promiscuous should have their fair dose of it.

Well I'm sorry Dave, but we just don't want it. We never asked for it and apart from a few disco addled halfwits like Elton John, we have no need for it. Marriage, old son, is a contract between members of the opposite sex for the primary purpose of creating an ideal environment for the raising and education of children. It has nothing to offer us benders, apart from the chance to dress up in a ridiculous frock for a day, and we can already do that whenever we like anyway. We don't need some uptight straight bloke telling us what is good for us, we are more than capable of making that decision for ourselves and it is something that we could manage with a damn sight more style than you could ever hope to achieve. So, instead of trying to fix something which is not broken why don't you drop this stupid idea and try and fix something that is really broken; like the economy, you fat head.

Last edited by Neil; 06-03-2012 at 18:13. Reason: swearing
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2012, 18:37   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: It won't be me..

It does seem an odd battle for Cameron to want to take on.

Gay couples can legally have all the same rights now as a married partners.

This will be opposed by most churches, and you'd think Cameron had rather more pressing issues to address, like the economy.

The church in Scotland is very powerful.

I've faced them in a legal battle, and won, but it was very vicious, and I don't think the Tories are made of the same mettle.

I'm not sure I like all this new, hug-a-lezzy, embrace a rainbow hoodie, Tory Lite stuff.

It's unsettling.

You knew where you were in the old days.

With the hang 'em, and flog 'em brigade.

It's the M.P.s' rent boys you have to feel sorry for.

At this rate they could soon face redundancy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:43   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well Acrilic, I can tell you are a touch liverish, about this, cos' otherwise you would have broken that into paragraphs.

Meanwhile, may I thank you?

So far as gay marriages were concerned I have whispered similar myself, (whispered because we don't want to upset the gays, after all you know what they are like).

How sensible,

You have a partner, friend, companion, but without some legal piece of paper you can't be by their bedside because you aren't a relative.

How cruel is that?

Nobody should go through it!

I have 'gay' friends they deserve the same but expect no more than my 'straight friends'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:44   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
As a fully paid up, out and proud, card carrying member of the Friends of Dorothy
Perkins?

I always wondered where you managed to get outfits in your size.

Old 05-03-2012, 18:46   #5

I think that religion should keep its blood stained hands away from politics full stop. A government can't possibly make decisions beneficial to a multi-cultural nation if it panders to the whims of any one faith.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:47   #6
Give, give, give member

I'd kill for a ring on my finger.

Old 05-03-2012, 18:50   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is that said with a frankie howard voice g?
Old 05-03-2012, 18:50   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well Acrilic, I can tell you are a touch liverish, about this, cos' otherwise you would have broken that into paragraphs.
But on my screen it is Uncle Less. Honest.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:50   #9

Quote:
Hahahaha , that cracked me up
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:51   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Is that said with a frankie howard voice g?
No, with more of a lily savage twang.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:56   #11
Senior Member+

Its a tad hypocritical of the RC church who seem to think harbouring perverts and paedophiles is ok,but to give the right of marriage to a loving and consenting couple of adults of the same sex is abhorrent, and terrible no wonder the "modern" church is losing punters they need to come out of the dark ages.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:57   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

You have a partner, friend, companion, but without some legal piece of paper you can't be by their bedside because you aren't a relative.

How cruel is that?

Nobody should go through it!

I have 'gay' friends they deserve the same but expect no more than my 'straight friends'.
Think your spot on with that Less, I have a few gay friends, why should they be treated any different. The Church (of any denomination make me sick on this subject)there should be consideration shown to all levels of society, when are these puritanical prats, who know very little about life, because to be quite honest, they have never lived it going to get a life. Homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice, a 11 or 12 year old doesn't suddenly wake up one morning and say hay I've decided I'm going to be gay, its time these clerics took time out and relies that we're all gods children and stop treating gays as the spawn of the devil

Last edited by jaysay; 05-03-2012 at 19:00.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:57   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes should have known that
Old 05-03-2012, 19:04   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That's' Lillian' to you, Miss Acidic-babs.

Old 05-03-2012, 19:07   #15
God Member

Quote:
That's' Lillian' to you, Miss Acidic-babs.

She can be very touchy around this time of the month. But we love her anyway.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..