Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2014, 18:20   #1
Senior Member+

It's a good job it's only money!

The richest 1% own 50% of the worlds wealth.

BBC News - Top 1% 'own half global wealth' - Credit Suisse report

Not a lot left for the other 99% of us is there?
Notice the comment- the UK is the only G7 country where inequality has risen?

Time for that revolution?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2014, 19:39   #2
God Member

Re: It's a good job it's only money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
The richest 1% own 50% of the worlds wealth.

BBC News - Top 1% 'own half global wealth' - Credit Suisse report

Not a lot left for the other 99% of us is there?
Notice the comment- the UK is the only G7 country where inequality has risen?

Time for that revolution?
Look on the bright side ... in the Middle Ages, the top 1% owned everything. So, things are improving
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 20:24   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I really wish we could get back to the good old days, the glorious days when I and the rest of the ruling classes could make you suffer for thinking.

How dare you put your thoughts out here to stir the rest of the yokels?

Last edited by Less; 16-10-2014 at 20:29.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 20:35   #4
Senior Member+

Come the revolution, Less, I've just moved you to the top of my list.
I've already found a nice group of ladies who can knit.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 20:56   #5
Beacon of light

You know, when you have nowt you are in no danger of losing it or having it stolen.
When you are rich(financially I mean) you are in fear that someone or something will come and relieve you of your wealth......and a rich man is just the same as a poor man....just better fed and better dressed.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:20   #6
Senior Member+

Isnt being rich simply a case of being able to use poorer folk to do all the work? Getting them to build/create a idea that a already well off person has had, then use the backs of the underpaid workforce to turn this idea into a reality without properly sharing the rewards and wealth generated from the it?(I believe it's called exploitation).
Controlling other folk is ultimately what wealth is about though. Always has been, always will be.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:18   #7
Beacon of light

I was going to post that a poor man lives by his wits and a rich man lives by a poorer man wit too.
Old 17-10-2014, 06:20   #8
Beacon of light

My idea of being rich is to have enough money , not just to make ends meet, but to tie a bow......have family and friends and a life which is healthy,fulfilling and peaceful.
Am I asking too much?
westendlass likes this.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:28   #9
Full Member+

Health, health and happiness, a roof over your head and food in your belly is all we need. Anything else is just a luxury!
Old 17-10-2014, 08:50   #10
Senior Member+

If I had a pound for every time Cameron said he was going to sort the country's problems out, I'd be rich (rich enough to live happy under a Tory government).

password--Accyweb
Old 17-10-2014, 10:07   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
If I had a pound for every time Cameron said he was going to sort the country's problems out, I'd be rich (rich enough to live happy under a Tory government).
Jason, the thing is every other government has done the same and not made inroads........The last government spent money they didn't have on things we didn't need......now I am no financial wizz, but I know that doesn't work.

Worse still they raised the expectations of many people...but failed to deliver(like most governments)...they fostered a dependency culture......rather than a culture of responsibility and 'can do' attitudes.

A hedonistic leader who wanted his name in the history books rather than tackle the important stuff......immigration, porous borders, EU meddling, Human rights Issues, financial dodgy dealing etc, etc, etc...all should have been tackled and wasn't....which is why we are in the place we are.......and believe me it could have been an awful lot worse!
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 17-10-2014, 23:32   #12
Senior Member+

Why does a slight tax increase cost me £500 but a 'substantial' tax cut only saves me £50?

password--Accyweb
Old 18-10-2014, 07:32   #13
Beacon of light

Next time the prospective MP's are canvassing for your cross in their box......why don't you ask them?
I am sure they will be able to come up with some perfectly plausible answer(it might baffle you though)......or they may do what they usually do....and that is answer a question you haven't asked, but seems much more relevant to the prospective MP.
After all, they know far better than us what we need, what we should have and what is good for us.
Old 18-10-2014, 09:31   #14
Senior Member+

After my first (voting is Irrelevant) thought,I'd ask "will my vote change my thoughts on those that govern us and the way they seem careless at best and sadistic at worst with our trust?"....they may have a answer that makes me want to start voting

"Total Revolution of consciousness and our entire social, political and economic system is what interests me, but that's not on the ballot"--Russell Brand (I don't particularly like him but he does speak some truth.....alongside his nonsense ).

The problem I have with revolutions though is that they tend to just result in another form of tyranny.
Folk like Brand etc don't seem to grasp the tragic consequences of a revolution for millions of folk over the past 100 years or so.
The Terror, famine, dysfunction, corruption, death on a grand scale the things that are synonymous with a revolution.I'm more for 'evolution' than revolution. We need to evolve beyond our pathetic incumbent political system, and fast.

password--Accyweb
Old 18-10-2014, 10:16   #15
Beacon of light

of course voting is irrelevant. I have said many times...'if voting changed anything the would not allow us to do it'.
Voting just gives you the feeling that you have some control over the people who are there to represent the issues which are important.
But in truth it gives you nothing......it gives the MP's someone to blame when everything goes belly up(well, that is what you said you wanted)....but in most cases decisions are made for us with no thought of the consequence they may have for us.........and this is democracy?

Politics is corrupt at its core(they, the politicians, believe that there are different rules for them,) the judiciary are corrupt,(ditto) the police are corrupt because they can be persuaded not to pursue convictions of those people who see themselves as better than us(otherwise the Jmmy Savile, the Cyril Smith issues would have been dealt with long ago).
There is a huge loss of faith in politics and politicians......faith which will be difficult to regain/replace.

So what is the answer?
I am damned if I know.
Alan Varrechia likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..