Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2011, 17:35   #1
God Member

It's budget time ....

No doubt you are all glued to your tvs watching the Chancellor deliver his budget. Our Federal Govt. brought down its budget yesterday .... and I thought it might be interesting to compare notes and comments.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2011, 17:39   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: It's budget time ....

Glued to the telly, Eric, don't think British TV has got that bad just yet there's a few hundred channels which allow us to miss these things
Old 23-03-2011, 18:05   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Glued to the telly, Eric, don't think British TV has got that bad just yet there's a few hundred channels which allow us to miss these things
Good ... that should come in handy on the day of the royal wedding
Old 23-03-2011, 18:09   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Good ... that should come in handy on the day of the royal wedding
Got it in one Eric
Old 23-03-2011, 18:15   #5
God Member

Doesn't look like our budget will make it thru the Commons. The Liberals have introduced a motion of "no confidenece" and it looks like the NDP (labour .... where my vote will be going) and the Bloc Quebecois will support it. We will be heading to the polls in May .... mmm, Maypolls
Old 23-03-2011, 18:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Doesn't look like our budget will make it thru the Commons. The Liberals have introduced a motion of "no confidenece" and it looks like the NDP (labour .... where my vote will be going) and the Bloc Quebecois will support it. We will be heading to the polls in May .... mmm, Maypolls
Looks like there leading you a merry dance Eric
Old 23-03-2011, 18:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Looks like there leading you a merry dance Eric
Yup, in both official languages
Old 23-03-2011, 18:43   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yup, in both official languages
Like it is here then
Old 23-03-2011, 18:48   #9
God Member

according to teh calculator we will be 1000 pounds worse off.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:32   #10
Senior Member+

Petrol 1p off a litre , thats a joke !
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:08   #11
Senior Member+

I did the calculator and was shocked that Ian is £1000 worse off and I am only £230 worse off plus inflation. I believe the average is £405 so does that mean those on higher incomes take less of the pain? Can't be right. Ian (entwi) is consierably richer than I!!!!

One thing seems clear, most people if not all are worse off by a considerable amount. What is worrying is growth has been downgraded 3 times now just for this year. From 2.6% to 1.7% and falling.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:12   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
Not a very funny one either....I don't think many folk will be laughing
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:52   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I did the calculator and was shocked that Ian is £1000 worse off and I am only £230 worse off plus inflation. I believe the average is £405 so does that mean those on higher incomes take less of the pain? Can't be right. Ian (entwi) is consierably richer than I!!!!

One thing seems clear, most people if not all are worse off by a considerable amount. What is worrying is growth has been downgraded 3 times now just for this year. From 2.6% to 1.7% and falling.
Before I read your budget in detail, I'll hazzard a guess that it contains corporate tax breaks ... it wouldn't be a tory budget without those. I think that was the sticking point over here, although our economy is healthy and getting better. That and the billions earmarked for new fighter jets. When only 700 to 800 million would help poor pensioners, it seemed to Jack Layton (I think you two would see eye to eye on most things) leader of the NDP, that the government has its priorities wrong. Thing is, nobody, apart from the Liberals, seems to want an election. The country is in great shape economically, and the minority government is working as it should. If the tories win a majority, there is an ugly, ultra-right wing section of the party that would try to re-visit things such as gay marriage, privatised medical care, tax breaks for the rich who want their kids in private (that's "public" for you guys) schools, access to abortion, government subsidised day care, etc. ... well, you get the picture. All in all, I have to say that ours was not a bad budget. Most Canadians would benefit to some extent. And I for one would rather have seen it pass than have an election. The tories could face a no confidence vote at any time. I don't think that this is the right time.

How do you think your Lib-Dems will respond?
Old 24-03-2011, 00:33   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
thats the equivalent of kicking somone in the balls and giving them a lollipop to ease the pain

what a joke hes raised fuel astronomicaly since coming into power just so he can knock a penny off and look like a good guy

aint worked

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 06:54   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

Its Entwisi BTW what is it with people shortening my nick?

Am I richer? I doubt it, the calculator I did was the BBC one and was a joint effort with Julie and my details included, make sure you do similar Graham to compare accurately.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..