Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2006, 06:39   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It's over a week since the start of a new 'Karma' thread!

Yes, I would like to talk today about that evergreen subject Karma, It does seem a while since any-one made enquiries about what it's about.
The pro's and cons of it have been talked to death in a variety of threads and while I have an idle moment I would like to give my two pennorth.

If you notice (at the moment), I have quite a large amount of karma, (no I don't know why either), however perhaps this post will go someway to relieving me of this awesome burden.

I can hear the stunned silence now, a high karma is a burden you are now asking yourself. Yes it is, is the reply.

Have you any idea what it's like for those of us that come on regularly and have to watch our P's & Q's just to be able to keep our levels up so high?

We suffer! There are times when we have to be polite to people we disagree with just in the hopes of gaining that little bit more.

Even if our standards slip and we do throw in the odd insult just to break the monotony what happens? People that you don't expect dash to the thread and further up the karma trail you go thanks to comments such as,
Yeah, you tell em I never did like him/her/it anyway!

You might find this hard to believe but very occasionally someone will come on site and disagree with what I have said and physically attack my karma, at last I think the message is getting accross then what happens? Another two people come on and give me even more karma so frustrating!

Well here is point one of why I started this thread:-

From now on no more Mr. Nice guy!
If I don't like what's been said I will say so.

Point two is this:-

We get alot of new members on and by the looks of it no matter what they do they haven't much chance of catching up with the rest of us, so how about once a year everybodys karma is cleared back to zero so that we can start again from a level playing field?

I suggest that April the first would be the ideal because this just happens to be Wingys Birthday, so we could perhaps at the same time Have a day to commemorate the birth of one of accywebs longest serving members.

Any suggestions as to what we could call this day can be posted below.
:engsmil:

Last edited by Less; 31-01-2006 at 18:14.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2006, 08:07   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: It's over a week since the start of a new 'Karma' thread!

Not sure how I feel about the idea Less. Maybe it gives the newbies something to aim for. I've recently joined a board where you start off with a zero karma rating and I was soooooooooo excited to get my first karma point! How sad it that?

You think having a high karma rating is a burden? Look at the hefty responsibility that goes with having a high power rating! I've got to be careful who I give karma to and really, really, really mean it because they get a whole 16 in one fell swoop!

Nah, instead of losing karma I'd rather have the power to split my 16 up a bit more between pople and decide on how many to give them. It would be nice to have the bank back too so we can play games for ackers like we used to with A-b's photo quizzes. It's more fun when you have the chance to win something.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 08:39   #3

I feel inferior and naked (but that doesn't mean I haven't got no clothes on) I think I should be endowed and flattered with karma.

The Proletariat....The Workers...

Removals - no Job too small....or BIG

Last edited by mantrabooks; 31-01-2006 at 09:15.
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 08:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrabooks
I fell interior and naked (but that doesn't mean I haven't got no clothes on) I think I should be endowed and flattered with karma.

The Proletariat....The Workers...
You've to get over that 100 post hurdle to gain your first taste of power, but be careful or you could end up power mad like Willow.
Old 31-01-2006, 09:39   #5
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Not sure how I feel about the idea Less.
, instead of losing karma I'd rather have the power to split my 16 up a bit more between pople and decide on how many to give them. It would be nice to have the bank back too so we can play games for ackers like we used to with A-b's photo quizzes. It's more fun when you have the chance to win something.
good idea willow.that makes a lot of sense ... but I would never take any karma unless it was something REALY REALY bad , it just stops people saying what they realy feel,and i am all for free speech,i know that i personaly have a big gob,although most of it is tongue in cheek....
Old 31-01-2006, 10:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Not sure how I feel about the idea Less. Maybe it gives the newbies something to aim for. I've recently joined a board where you start off with a zero karma rating and I was soooooooooo excited to get my first karma point! How sad it that?
.....And i gave it to you for posting regularly on the quizzes and helping the new board grow.
I think people do abuse the karma system,and sometimes it's a waste of time,if it gets abused on my forum i can simply turn it off.
If it causes such a stir on here,then why have it on??

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 10:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
.....And i gave it to you for posting regularly on the quizzes and helping the new board grow.
I think people do abuse the karma system,and sometimes it's a waste of time,if it gets abused on my forum i can simply turn it off.
If it causes such a stir on here,then why have it on??
I think some people abuse the brains that were given them at birth but what the hey? Like the bad penny they keep turning up on here!
It is a discussion about karma, part of the enjoyment of 'karma' is the fact that it causes a stir.
Like it or loathe it we have it, but we can discuss it at any time we want without it being a waste of time.
Now simply follow what you can do with the karma on your own site.
Old 31-01-2006, 10:26   #8

Angry Re: It's over a week since the start of a new 'Karma' thread!

Sorry...... i thought this was a community forum where anybody could post....i didn't know you had to be live in accrington to post here.....not a nice way to treat a member that has been here for over 2 years.
I was making a point,if you dont like it tough,get over it.
People have opinions,you have yours i have mine,if you dont like mine,dont reply to my post.
Easy!!

I come back from time to time as i am busy with other things,it's just half the things on here are not worth a reply.
No-one posted about karma for over a week?..........good,it should have been left like that!!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 10:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Sorry...... i thought this was a community forum where anybody could post....i didn't know you had to be live in accrington to post here.....not a nice way to treat a member that has been here for over 2 years.
I was making a point,if you dont like it tough,get over it.
People have opinions,you have yours i have mine,if you dont like mine,dont reply to my post.
Easy!!

I come back from time to time as i am busy with other things,it's just half the things on here are not worth a reply.
No-one posted about karma for over a week?..........good,it should have been left like that!!
Jason why don't you read the first post on this thread?

The whole idea of this thread is tongue in cheek, I don't give a monkeys about having karma or not but as I have already said,
Quote:
From now on no more Mr. Nice guy!
If I don't like what's been said I will say so.
That in itself was a dig at me because I don't tend to be Mr. Nice guy

Don't attack me attack my 'karma' that is what it is there for and so far today I have only had one lump taken.
Old 31-01-2006, 12:43   #10
Senior Member+

[quote=Less]Don't attack me attack my 'karma' that is what it is there for and so far today I have only had one lump taken...[quote]

MAKE THAT 2 ............

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 12:45   #11
Senior Member+

OH WELL MAYB NOT ...IT WONT LET ME

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 12:57   #12
Junior Member+

Thumbs down Re: It's over a week since the start of a new 'Karma' thread!

THOUGHTLESS

I WAS TOLD this was a friendly site,

YOU MUST BE A SAD LONLEY GUY

I guess you want this site all to yourself

miserable git
krex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 12:59   #13
Senior Member+

Jason I thought you did Burnley web and now I see Blackpool web, have you moved or do you just love that fun loving Viva Los Blackpool? this is a thread wander and shouldn't be allowed, but as its on Less's thread he won't mind I'm sure.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 13:28   #14

What is all this garbage about 'Karma'? Does it give you some great feeling of power or something? I'm not a regular contributer to the threads ,and as Jason says, over half of them are not worth replying to anyway,and are mostly tittle tattle about articles that have already been aired in the press sheets. But even though I don't contribute, I am on sight every day reading the points of view of other subscribers, from which I derive great pleasure. So whatever this 'Karma' is, I cannot see the point of it,as it won't induce me to make pointless replies to pointless threads so that I can have a load of numbers at the side of my name.
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 13:32   #15
Resident Waffler

As Jason isn't here at the mo can I nip in and tell you he has moved to Blackpool, the Las Vegas of Lancashire.

Ooooh who's been knocking lumps off Less? He's too lickle to stand too many lumps being knocked off him.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..