Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2005, 04:26   #16
God Member

Re: It's the look of the thing.

I take your point Less, but I stand by the obserations made in my original post. At a Time when we need all the help we can get, we have what may best be described as a Frump for a Mayor. And, if Pixie is to be believed, not a very friendly one at that. Hyndburn could do better. But I suppose we shall have to wait and see what she does, the proof of the pudding etc.etc.

Personally I think Councillor Parkinson should have been elected for a second term, at least he looks the part.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 31-05-2005 at 04:32.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2005, 05:30   #17

I have to agree with Less on this, lets not judge a book by it's cover.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 09:51   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
I do not know nor am I interested in knowing our latest mayor, a lot of money was wasted by a few in celebration of her gaining this position.

However I find it shameful that so many people would take these cheap shots. O.K. so she wouldn't make it as May Queen, but would you be so cruel if she was in a wheel chair for example?
I doubt it! Let's stick to calling these people for being idiots if thats the way they act, but to pick on them because of how they look? and in such a cowardly manner as this? That is not what I expect to find from fellow members of Accyweb.
Lets stick to being we do not need to go any lower than that!
Yes I agree--- And what is a Women doing as Mayor anyway?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 10:19   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Yes I agree--- And what is a Women doing as Mayor anyway?

Oh dear...I have to agree with Less. I do not think we should judge our politicians on the basis of their weight, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, accent, age or disability. Rather we judge them on how well they do their job.

The fact is this mayor-making weekend has been an absolute waste of money; I am not sure who is responsible, the new mayor or Britcliffe. I am pretty certain it is the latter - he is, afterall, the man with the HBC chequebook.

If a mayor-making ceremony is really neccessary (which I doubt very much), would it not be better to defer it until June so it coincides with the Accy Carnival parade weekend? (I'm thinking a bit here of the London Lord mayor's Show)

We could always show our appreciation of the new mayor by having her/him driven around the town on the back of a float and we could bombard them with garlands of flowers or rotten eggs and tomatos.

When will Councillor Jones be Mayor, I wonder?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 10:36   #20
I am Banned

well i got to admit i could do with loosing a few pounds myself but then again i didnt waste thousands of council tax payers money and even if she wasnt personaly resposible for the money spent she could have said no to it

it just sickens me that OUR money was wasted this way when quite a lot of people realy do struggle to pay the extortinate amount of council tax and get threatened with jail or bailifs taking away the few possesions they own

anyone fortunate enough to be able to easily afford council tax wont underestand but there arer plenty of people in accy who have to choose some weeks between feeding their kids or paying the council tax under threat of bailifs or prison

anyway if she cant stand a bit of name calling she shouldnt have become a public figure

thats the nearest to an appology your going to get from me on this matter
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 11:09   #21
God Member

I don't know if the Mayor has the power to do as you suggest, Chav. If he/she is given a certain budget for the year, some of which must be spent on the ceremony, then there is little they can do.

However, if they are given a set amount of money to spend as they wish over their year in office, I would have assumed that any sensible mayor would cut out the ceremony. Lets face it: everybody sees this as no more than a costly exercise in flattering their vanity, with the exception of the politicians themselves.

The mayor who ignores it all, signs on for the year, goes over the road for a pint and then announces the otherwise thirty-five thousand quid cost is going back to the ratepayers is the one who gets respect.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 31-05-2005 at 14:11.
Old 31-05-2005, 14:22   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie J
I have to agree with Less on this
Don't say it like you would never have thought you could ever agree with me on anything!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 14:42   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
The mayor who ignores it all, signs on for the year, goes over the road for a pint and then announces the otherwise thirty-five thousand quid cost is going back to the ratepayers is the one who gets respect.
exactly

HBC is in a hell of a lot of debt so if money HAD to be spent couldnt it be spent clearing debts so that our council tax bills need not rise so much each and every year instead of pampering the vanity of the mayor

ime sure her circle of friends an aquaintances are praising her and telling her how good an idea the fair was

i hope she reads accy web so that she can see the disgust the people of accrington had for it not that i think for 1 second she would give a damn

if i was the mayor and found that i couldnt stop the money been spent i would have not turned up to the swearing in ceromony in protest and left a lot of red faced people to face the press

Last edited by chav1; 31-05-2005 at 14:46.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 15:56   #24
I am Banned

is that a swastica round her neck?
the real michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 16:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Don't say it like you would never have thought you could ever agree with me on anything!
I didn't mean it like that! we will probably agree on more things in the future & disagee on others
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 16:15   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Oh dear...I have to agree with Less. I do not think we should judge our politicians on the basis of their weight, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, accent, age or disability. Rather we judge them on how well they do their job.
Yes, well we already know that HBC is composed of the sort of people one would not trust to sit the right way round on a lavatory (even if you gave them illustrated instructions). Criticising their lack of sense, wisdom, morality and ethics is getting a bit tedious. So I thought that I would take the opportunity presented by the new mayorality to ratchet up the flack, as it were, and go straight for the jugular. It is my hope that soon they will not dare to appear on the streets without wearing a bag over their heads.
Old 31-05-2005, 16:24   #27
God Member

I've just had a look at the Mayor(ess's) uniform. Is'nt her tricorn hat of the sort that Highway Robbers once wore? Is there any significance in this?
Old 31-05-2005, 16:33   #28
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Although unfair to have a go at this lass for being a minger, I can't help but wonder if she will actually do a good job. I have my reservations following the debacle that was the Mayor Making 4 days worth of wasted cash.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 17:43   #29
God Member

It seems that folk are missing the point here. Plain Jane(t) does not actually have any other function other than chairing full meetings of the council, which are few and far between these days thanks to the introduction of governance by cabinet, and occaisionally appearing at local charity bashes. Oh, and she gets the opportunity to hob nob with the great and the good at one of the summer garden parties at Buckingham Palace. (I wonder what H.M. will think when presented with this year's version of Hyndburn's Brightest and Best. ) Not exactly what you might describe as a taxing schedule.

I note that Plain Jane(t) describes Councillor Parkinson, the outgoing Mayor, as "A hard act to follow". As though the prospect of opening a couple of womens institute tea mornings was something which might keep her awake at nights.

It used to be that the mayorality was something that was bestowed as an acknowlegement of an outstanding contribution to public life. Nowadays they just take it in turns and, following a row about it a couple of years ago, they also alternate between conservative and labour incumbents. A devalued office of a morally and ethically bankrupt council.
Old 31-05-2005, 17:59   #30
Give, give, give member

Hitler was always very smartly turned out.

The Queen Mother always a little frumpy.

Go figure.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..