Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 23:51   #1

IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father

I have just read the daily mail online and the headlines are that women going though ivf can now name anyone as the father. From what I understand this can include anyone who is willing to be responsible for the child. I am really not sure about this, I do think that for lesbian couples it does give the other parent more rights which can be beneficial for the child involved. I think this is a very controversial issue and am interested to know what your thoughts are.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father

Quote:
Originally Posted by magily View Post
I have just read the daily mail online and the headlines are that women going though ivf can now name anyone as the father. From what I understand this can include anyone who is willing to be responsible for the child. I am really not sure about this, I do think that for lesbian couples it does give the other parent more rights which can be beneficial for the child involved. I think this is a very controversial issue and am interested to know what your thoughts are.
Well it's a trap for the male ego, I'm getting to the age where if someone named me as the Father I'd be so proud of being accused I'd just have to say I am!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well it's a trap for the male ego, I'm getting to the age where if someone named me as the Father I'd be so proud of being accused I'd just have to say I am!

So long as they don't make you say I DO Less
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:

sorted Less.... i'll let you know when we have to go and register her

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
sorted Less.... i'll let you know when we have to go and register her

Not a problem, just one more accyweb cock-up being blamed on me!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 13:27   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: IVF mothers can name ANYONE as father

Quote:
Originally Posted by magily View Post
This event raises so many issues it is difficult to know where to begin.

Women in need of IVF treatment need this service because they cannot conceive naturally. The reason could be that their partner is infertile or he has a low sperm count. If the latter then IVF is the only way. If the former and if she is desperate to conceive she should either dump the partner and find someone else or adopt.

However IVF could be storing up problems for the future. Meaning that if the woman is unable to conceive for genetic reasons then there is a fifty-fifty chance that any female offspring will have the same defect. It is not improbable to consider that at some time in the future there will be more women in need of IVF that those who do not.

Then there is the potential danger of ‘designer’ babies. It has already happened where a couple have had IVF treatment to bring into this world a child whose existence is mainly to become a donor (bone marrow) for a sibling.

In the animal world, if a female animal is unable to conceive her imperfect gene pool dies with her. That is nature’s way and you defy nature at your peril.

If the sperm donor is anonymous then the woman’s partner should adopt the child in the same way that a female divorcee with children can have her new partner adopt her children with the natural father’s consent. How you get consent from an anonymous donor is a riddle for the courts to solve.

Lesbian couples should not be allowed to have IVF treatment – FULL STOP!

In the first instance children learn from their parents and with no male parent they could easily grow up thinking that same sex partnership is the norm, when in fact it is not. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.

Then what happens when it comes to mixing with other ‘normal’ kids in school? I know that kids are resilient and tend to accept life as it is but they can also be very cruel. Imagine what a child of a lesbian couple is likely to go through once it becomes known that it has two mothers and no dad? There is enough bullying in school for all sorts of other reasons without giving the bullies another arrow to their bullying bow.

I would finish with that the needs of the human gene pool as a whole outweighs the desires on an individual.
Old 02-03-2009, 13:36   #7
God Member

We need the knowhow to do this IVF because pollution is reducing male fertility
BBC NEWS | Health | Traffic 'damages male fertility'
Pollutants 'damage men's fertility' | Society | The Guardian
..so that the men who aren't affected can continue to provide the next generations

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 15:16   #8

Wow jambutty good response. In my opinion I think their is a decline in the family uniy and traditions in general and I do not think this is going to help in anyway whatsoever. I do disagree with you on the issues of lesbian couples being entitled to ivf treatment. I think the bigger issues for lesbian and gay couples who adopt or use ivf are the rights of the second parent if they do separate. As for kids being resilliant I agree that kids may be bullied by other children but I think you have to remember that kids are growing up in a much more tolerant time. I know at my children's school there are a couple of same sex parents and their kids do not get teased. I have to also say that there are far more screwed up kids out there from hetrosexual parents who separate and spend lots of time and money fighting over their kids just to retaliate at the other parent.
For those who wonder no I am not a lesbian I am happily married with 4 children.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 17:55   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
We need the knowhow to do this IVF because pollution is reducing male fertility
BBC NEWS | Health | Traffic 'damages male fertility'
Pollutants 'damage men's fertility' | Society | The Guardian
..so that the men who aren't affected can continue to provide the next generations
Its not just pollution it is also lifestyle. Mind you in the future a fertile man could make a comfy life for himself and have make a fortune when selling his little swimmers. Women would treat him as a god. The shoe would be on the other foot then.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 18:23   #10
God Member

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Name of Father: Mr. T. Baster

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:33   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Then what happens when it comes to mixing with other ‘normal’ kids in school? I know that kids are resilient and tend to accept life as it is but they can also be very cruel. Imagine what a child of a lesbian couple is likely to go through once it becomes known that it has two mothers and no dad? There is enough bullying in school for all sorts of other reasons without giving the bullies another arrow to their bullying bow.
I belive this view is one that is incredibly out of touch with reality.
First of all, bullies will attack for reasons of personal cowardice, fear, and ideas of social gain. They will pick on any peer they view as weaker than themselves.
Secondly there's such a wide variety in family diversity on a modern day playground that any one child's family circumstance is very likely to differ greatly from that of any other respective child. For this reason I think the "I'm in a regular 2.4 children family and you are not" view of a bully is non-existant. There's more lone-parent families, inter-racial families, young families etc. than ever before and if anything I think it's the safest time for a child to be born unto a same-sex couple.

Last edited by shakermaker; 02-03-2009 at 20:35.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:38   #12
God Member

this is all a bit de ja vu, werent we talking the other week about the kid who supposidly fathered a baby? i'm sure the mother to the baby thought the same, i thought she was naming ANYONE as the baby's father anyway
Old 02-03-2009, 20:48   #13
God Member

Quote:

. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.

that is the absolute bigget load of tripe I have ever heard/read, following that logic , lesbians give birth to lesbians, so every mother of a lesbian is also a lesbian ........likewise the father of every gay male is also a gay ..............grow up ........go back to oogling/drooling over your childhood hero Stanley Mathews
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:11   #14
I am Banned

Quote:

Ok but you would'nt have had the pleasure.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:52   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Lesbian couples should not be allowed to have IVF treatment – FULL STOP!

In the first instance children learn from their parents and with no male parent they could easily grow up thinking that same sex partnership is the norm, when in fact it is not. In the main a lesbian is a lesbian because of her genes and these would be passed on to any female offspring.
I'm afraid you've rather contradicted yourself there.

You say 'in the first instance children learn from their parents', implying lesbianism is something that is taught by example, i.e. nurture.

You then give the contradictory statement that 'a lesbian is a lesbian because of here genes', and that lesbianism is a genetic quirk of nature. Which today is the more accepted understanding when it comes to the sexual orientation of the animal kingdom.

Rather odd, and a little bit creepy, that you seem so preocupied with lesbianism. As the same issues you talk about apply equally to both men and women when it comes to same gender parenting.

Perhaps it's just some genetic defect that makes you see things this way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..