Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 11:48   #1

Just arrived home from Accy............

Hi y'all,

Well, here I am back in the good old southern USA after a few days in the mother country. I hadn't been 'home' for six years so, of course, I wondered what changes I would be likely to see. One thing for sure hasn't changed and that's the bloody weather! We arrived on the 26th. June and stayed until 3rd. July. We had two nice days. Happily, these were the days which we had chosen to spend time in the Lake District (Sunday and Monday) so that was obviously a slice of good luck. At last my American wife saw the Lake District in all of its beauty. I certainly was not disappointed with what I saw up there, it is as lovely as ever though somewhat busier than I recall.

We stayed with my eldest son at Hesketh Bank nr. Southport and only managed to get over to Accrington/Baxenden for about three to four hours to see a couple of old friends. I purposely drove the 'old routes' to see what changes there were. We came through Euxton, Pleasington and Blackburn arterial road. Driving along Blackburn Rd. when we finally arrived in Accrington I was really disappointed to see that most shops had metal grilles pulled down over their windows. As this was about 11 am. on a Thursday I can only presume that the shops were empty/out of business. I have to say, sadly, that the place looks really run down. I could use some help to understand why this should be. Are there a disproportionate number of people unemployed in the area? Have the old industries, particularly relating to cotton, not yet been replaced by other businesses?

The drive up the hill to Baxenden was more pleasing as it hadn't seemed to change much. What little I saw of the parks gave me the impression that they looked reasonably well cared for but we didn't have time to go in to confirm that. We were meeting some friends at the snack bar in St. John's church to have coffee with a view to going over to the Bay Horse for lunch. On our arrival, we saw that the Bay Horse was closed so that put paid to that plan. Our friends were waiting for us in the church and so we decided to eat there. Atarah, I finally got my Hollands meat pies and peas with gravy and I have to say, they were just as good as I remember them. I really enjoyed them so perhaps the Bay Horse being closed was a stroke of luck. Baxenden doesn't seem to have changed much in the last six years. The people we were introduced to in the church snack bar were very friendly, just as you would expect Lancashire folk to be. I believe there are a good few yobs living there now, but I suppose that is just part of the very sad 'British disease' that seems to be affecting every part of the country. All in all, we had a really nice half-day due to the fact that we were meeting friendly people. We drove back down Hollins Lane which is still a very nice part of the village and down to Woodnook/Nuttall Street where my paternal granparents and my uncle had shops. Here again, the area looks somewhat depressed and has not retained the hustle and bustle of the busy area I remember as a child/youth.

We were warned not to go into Southport town centre on a Friday or Saturday night after dark as people are attacked and beaten for no apparant reason every week on those two nights. We were told that police in riot gear are standard policy at the weekends there. This was really sad for me as much of my youth was spent living there and it was a really nice town.

We had some very good meals out at various places dispelling the myth in America that English food is 'disgusting'. My wife considered the meals we had to be amongst the best ever. Two particularly good places were, the hotel we stayed at in the Lake District, the Low Wood on the eastern shore of Windermere. The food was excellent there. But the best place was the High Moor at Wrightington, wow, the lamb there is awesome! Also very nice was lunch at the Craven Heffer in the Ribble Valley. Still very much unspoiled and beautiful.

All in all we had a great time and it was good to see old faces and places. It is always good to see family of course. Living so far away from them is the hardest thing I have to bear.

I see on another thread there is talk of upgrading the Market Hall. I have to agree with much of the comment there, many other places around the town look as if they could do with a cash injection. The Market Hall is fine.

I look foreward to my next visit when I intend to stay for two weeks rather than one and hopefully get along to one of the many 'get togethers' that you seem to have throughout the year.

Cheers from sunny Florida,

JohnW.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2004, 16:15   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Just arrived home from Accy............

The food at the Low Wood is excellent, had a couple of good meals there myself. We look forward to seeing you next time you are here. If there is no meeting arranged, we will arrange one just for you.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 17:42   #3

Thank you Lettie, that is very kind of you. If you liked the Low Wood you will go crazy about the High Moor. Give it a try and let me know how much you enjoyed it.

JohnW
Old 07-07-2004, 19:00   #4
Resident Waffler

I have to agree with you John about the depressed appearance of some parts of the town. It's rather sad with the empty shops etc too.

Also one thing we've found to be a problem for someone moving into the area is the inability to get dental treatment around these parts.

We must investigate your recommendations for meals.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 21:23   #5
Accy Goddess

We are very good at arranging short notice meetings John.
Just name the time and place and a lot of us will be there.
We Love to meet new people and put a face to the name.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 21:32   #6

Thank you, at least the true Lancashire people haven't changed their friendly ways.

JohnW

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..