Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2008, 15:21   #31
God Member

Re: just heard this...

[quote=blazey;662770]I had to laugh when I saw your message about the area going downhill a bit Pip! Like murderers are a product of a bad area... or even a bad upbringing.quote]

You said that not me, i was simply commenting on the area and how it used to be, you came to your own conclusion.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2008, 16:47   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Police have released a pic on telly of the guy they are after, known him a long while, not one to mess with.
Old 24-12-2008, 16:54   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The surname of the victim rings a bell with me - but the age (26) means that he is likely to be the grandson of that person I knew of
Theres a concert Secretary with the same name, which confused me somewhat, could this be the same person you might be referring to?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 17:06   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Police have released a pic on telly of the guy they are after, known him a long while, not one to mess with.

They are after 2 of them, picture of them on BBC website. Rest assured if I see em I won't be making a citizens arrest

BBC NEWS | England | Lancashire | Manhunt in 'no body' murder probe
Old 24-12-2008, 17:13   #35
God Member

Hmm, post 22, looks like there after the father as well then

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 18:39   #36
God Member

[quote=pipinfort;662819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I had to laugh when I saw your message about the area going downhill a bit Pip! Like murderers are a product of a bad area... or even a bad upbringing.quote]

You said that not me, i was simply commenting on the area and how it used to be, you came to your own conclusion.
My point is that something happens and all of a sudden there is someone commenting on the area. Like it correlates. Either that or you were making irrelevant points. Take your choice!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 18:44   #37
God Member

[quote=blazey;662858]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post

My point is that something happens and all of a sudden there is someone commenting on the area. Like it correlates. Either that or you were making irrelevant points. Take your choice!

So am i not allowed to comment on the area...............? be it relevant or not..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 20:10   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No type of murder is particularly specific to a certain class or area. Especially not in this economic climate when there are a lot of desperate people.
I hate to say it, season of goodwill and all that, but you're wrong again.

Your chance of being a victim of crime very much depends on your 'class' (wealth/poverty), and which area you live in. All recorded data on the subject back this up.

Murder: an example of crime and inequality

The risk of being murdered is not equally distributed across society. Instead, the poorer the place you live in, the more likely you are to be murdered.
  • People living in the poorest 10% of wards in Britain are about 5.7 times more likely to be murdered than those living in the least poor (richest) 10%.
  • This ratio is increasing with time: people living in the poorest 10% of Britain, are 182% more likely than average to be murdered, while the likeliness of those in the richest 20% being murdered has been falling over time.
crimeinfo.org.uk

Mosside or Malmesbury?

Wonder where I'd feel safer?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 20:18   #39
God Member

Never mind bad area or bad upbringing. You're not left-handed are you blazey?

Behavioural scientists claim that there is a strong positive correlation between the number
of left-handed people and violent crimes, specifically murder. The recent report suggests
that left-handers have the advantage in hand-to-hand confrontations. This competitive
advantage may explain why levels of homicide and left-handers in society show such a
strong link.

http://www.saasta.ac.za/sciencewrite...nolds_s_02.pdf

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 21:30   #40
God Member

Tell that to that family who had to bury their daughter and granddaughter the other day after their son in law decided to kill them all in their mansion with a bullet to the head and a blazing inferno.

You're never going to have an equal balance of statistics relating to ANYTHING in society, nothing ever works that way.

And no I'm not left handed and funnily enough I'm not a murderer either. Thou shalt not murder and all that jazz.
Old 24-12-2008, 23:31   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Tell that to that family who had to bury their daughter and granddaughter the other day after their son in law decided to kill them all in their mansion with a bullet to the head and a blazing inferno.

You're never going to have an equal balance of statistics relating to ANYTHING in society, nothing ever works that way.

And no I'm not left handed and funnily enough I'm not a murderer either. Thou shalt not murder and all that jazz.
The facts are there, plain and simple.

The lower down the socio-economic scale you are, and poorer the area you live in, the greater the risk of you being a victim of crime, including being murdered.

Therefore your sweeping statement was wrong.

Old 25-12-2008, 06:50   #42

Blazey, do you run around with your eyes closed, and fingers in your ears singing 'I cant hear you'????

Of course violent crimes and murder are more likely in poorer areas. Look at Brixton, Hackney, Moss Side....., also the term 'desperate times for desperate measures'.

In a low crime area, house prices go up so only wealthier people can afford to live there. High crime rate, prices go down.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 11:48   #43

Quote:

The odd exception hardly disproves a whole load of statistics.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 14:25   #44
God Member

I suppose it depends on what type of murder you are referring to I guess. Obviously in areas with gang crime you will get more murder by stabbing for instance, and the odd gun crime.

I reckon its a given that you get more middle class people killed with shotguns

I studied sociology at college though and recall how statistics like that are manipulated by people to make it look like there are drastic differences in the numbers between classes, but murder, rape, and other high end crimes only make up a small percentage of our crime rate in the first place and the small the number the less the percentages are that different.

I don't think it particularly matters what class you are though when someone is on a serial killing spree, so we've all got a chance. Same with terrorist attacks.

And I can see why poorer people may commit crime, but I don't see why poor people would be the targets... its not like they have anything substantial to take... the only benefit is poorer security I guess. Don't hear of many homeless people getting mugged though.
Old 25-12-2008, 18:10   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Don't hear of many homeless people getting mugged though.
Yes you do, it happens all the time.

I take it you haven't spoken to many homless folk?

They are amongst the most vunerable people in society when it comes to being victims of crime, when the only security they have is that they hope they wake up when someone steals their meagre possessions from under them.

Blimey, it must be ever so cosy living in a bubble, rather than in reality.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..