Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2008, 14:16   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Karma Award Scheme

It is about time that this awarding Karma thing be either discontinued or no award could be made without the person making the award signing it with their forum user name. I should imagine that it would be a relatively simple thing to amend the script so that any award is automatically accompanied with the awarder’s forum user name. Surely only those members prone to making anonymous nasty comments would object?

As it is now it allows people, who I can only describe as cowardly children or maybe toe rags, to post insulting comments anonymously. I equate such action as akin to someone creeping up at the dead of night and chucking a brick through your window and then running away. In other words the scum of the earth.

Not one of the anonymous posters would dare say what they do to my face or in open forum.

My last ten received awards are these:
Well Done Eire - You really are an ignorant waste of space!! (anon)

Crop Circles - Loved your topic, it made me laugh. (Signed)
and well wrote . you should write a book.. (signed)

Free Swimming For Pensioners - Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan Moan , GOD SHUT UP! NO1 WANTS TO HEAR YOU! SHUT UP U NON STOP MOANING USER! GET A LIFE! (anon)

The Taliban Will Only Lift 2 Fingers - because you are cute when you show your age! (anon)

Food Glorious Food - You sir, are a credit to this site. You make fine points and I always look forward to reading your posts. I also love your homepage. (anon)

Asda Doing Their Bit - Loved the bit about the toilet roll .. made me laugh .. (signed)

The Island UK And The EU - Totally agree with you, Jambutty, but, as you say, alas it's probsbly too late! (signed)

Who Remembers? - you are a grade A buffoon (anon)

CONGRATULATIONS To All AccyWeb Members - sad git, jealous are we? (anon)

I have removed the names of those who were quite happy to sign their comments to avoid them being identified and maybe become targets themselves.

There are some really nasty pieces of human excreta on this forum masquerading as members.

Previous negative comments were much worse than those but I chose to ignore them and treat them with the contempt that they and their authors deserved.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:13   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Karma Award Scheme

I'm always forgetting about the karma system but I do give it out when I remember. I only give the good stuff - and I sign it. If I've got something not-so-good to say about someone's posts (very rare) I'd rather tell them in the forum - with my identity there for all to see.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:17   #3
God Member

Don`t think i`ve ever given negative Karma yet, only bother with the good stuff but if i really wanted to leave a cheeky comment i would certainly sign it, must agree ALL karma must be sign for.......
Old 15-06-2008, 15:17   #4
Senior Member+

They seem fair enough to me. You do moan a hell of a lot and you complain about people insulting you, yet throw around insults like a baby with a pram full of toys.

I suppose this thread will just become yet another 'merits of karma' discussion, as if there haven't been enough already.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:27   #5
God Member

I have a different view point to this but on the same lines.

Whilst I do not mind negative karma that is anonymous, I find it unfair when it is abusive rather than some valuable constructive criticism. I can't fix what I have done wrong if you just call me swear words and other horrible things, so it needs to be monitored by the moderators I think.

Offensive and insulting behaviour against other users is against forum rules anyway so why is it allowed in anonymous reputation? I believe abusive reputation should be cleared off a persons reputation, but the person who did it should not get their point back, they will just have to accept they wasted it for the sake of being nasty.

That's my view anyway, and if I remember rightly one of those green ones was off me
Old 15-06-2008, 15:43   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Karma Award Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
They seem fair enough to me. You do moan a hell of a lot and you complain about people insulting you, yet throw around insults like a baby with a pram full of toys.

I suppose this thread will just become yet another 'merits of karma' discussion, as if there haven't been enough already.
I don’t start the throwing of insults around.

But I reserve the right to retaliate if I want to.

Then you won’t be taking part in this thread anymore.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:59   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Karma Award Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I have a different view point to this but on the same lines.

Whilst I do not mind negative karma that is anonymous, I find it unfair when it is abusive rather than some valuable constructive criticism. I can't fix what I have done wrong if you just call me swear words and other horrible things, so it needs to be monitored by the moderators I think.

Offensive and insulting behaviour against other users is against forum rules anyway so why is it allowed in anonymous reputation? I believe abusive reputation should be cleared off a persons reputation, but the person who did it should not get their point back, they will just have to accept they wasted it for the sake of being nasty.

That's my view anyway, and if I remember rightly one of those green ones was off me
Good point. However I would add to it that if a negative Karma award is made with offensive or insulting comments then as well as being removed from the recipient’s total, at least double the points should be deducted from the sender.

The problem there is that someone – a mod – would have to decide what is offensive and insulting and what is not. And different people will have different views. I don’t think that it would be workable.

The only workable solution would be to have the username added automatically or dispense with this Karma nonsense altogether.
Old 15-06-2008, 16:05   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The problem there is that someone – a mod – would have to decide what is offensive and insulting and what is not. And different people will have different views. I don’t think that it would be workable.
Mods do this anyway, I have had infractions for being 'insulting to other members' so it's not like it would be beyond their usual scope.
Old 15-06-2008, 16:12   #9
God Member

This 'nonsense' karma doesnt half cause a stir on here with regularity, especially as most claim to ignore the negative and not to be offended by it, the problem I can see with changing the signature of karma to a compulsory system is that, like when you change your avatar, the change would be made throughout the history of posts, therefore naming past negative senders, I feel it would be unfair to change those posts without warning, if karma were scrapped altogether, then the post additions may come down, this may make a difference to the big board status which most on here acclaimed.
Old 15-06-2008, 16:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
This 'nonsense' karma doesnt half cause a stir on here with regularity.
and roy wouldnt have it any other way i bet lol

the answer seems quite simple , if you dont like the way the site is run then ****** off lol

i think the karma system should have to have the senders name on regardless if its good or bad but it dosnt and i dont make the rules so i have the option to either put up with it or leave

theres been loads of these type of threads and nothing has changed , im not saying you shoudl leave but if its getting too much for you to handle and nothing is getting changed then you should decide if putting up with the crap you get is worth what you get out of been a member here

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 15-06-2008, 16:21   #11
Senior Member+

just leave it as it is

end of the day not everyone will agree to it - there's ppl who dont agree with most of my ideals etc and if they wanna do it by neg karma fair enough.

but lets not lose sight of the reality

its only a website. god wont refer to mick b4 making his judgement.

*i dont think he will - maybe a mod could clarify that for us?*
Old 15-06-2008, 16:26   #12
God Member

Perhaps it would be good if you could have the karma system personally disabled for you if you don't like it, that way you can't give or receive anything nasty. I don't know if that is possible though.
Old 15-06-2008, 16:28   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

god wont refer to mick b4 making his judgement.

actualy i heard god let mick have a look at the 10 comandments before passing them to moses just to check they were within accywebs policy of acceptance

they are a lot closer than what you think

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 15-06-2008, 16:34   #14
God Member

I have heard that the site owner sometimes dishes out karma just to 'stir things up a bit' -so he is not likely to change this system

Old 15-06-2008, 16:36   #15
God Member

I love Roy!
Closed Thread

Tags

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..