Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2004, 12:49   #1
God Member

Karrimor in Receivership...

I've just had a look at the Telegraph website...they're reporting Karrimor has been called into receivership & jobs to go. Surely this company with all it's mountaineering history can't be allowed to go under? We can't lose this company.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2004, 12:56   #2

it's already been bought out, look here http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=3692
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 13:02   #3
God Member

That was quick...

....it still means job losses though. I wonder if Lonsdale will transfer manufacturing abroad & just keep the sales/marketing here?
Old 24-02-2004, 14:28   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
My friend works for Karrimor, and was told at 3pm on friday that she no longer had a job, and not to bother coming in on Monday. She says that roughly 20 of them were told and made redundant on friday afternoon. Charming!!!
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 14:47   #5
God Member

As the old song goes...

...Did she pack up her troubles in her old karrimor bag and smile?
Old 24-02-2004, 14:51   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Not exactly, as she did enjoy working there but she's not too worried about it, she'll easily get another job, so she's going on holiday then doing the job hunting when she gets back.
Old 24-02-2004, 14:59   #7
God Member

Maybe she'll get a job in the new Starbucks in the Arndale....
Old 27-02-2004, 09:33   #8
Junior Member+

Hopefully the new owners will keep the manufacturing in Accy and transfer the sales and Marketing abroad, Tealeaf!!!
Jo in Bolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2004, 16:40   #9
God Member

...possibly some self-interest, there, Jo?
Old 28-02-2004, 16:45   #10

Very good. I dont suppose the people loosing their jobs would find it so funny.
Have you allways been inconsiderate or is it something that you practice?

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:36   #11
Junior Member+

Wingy by name, wingy by nature!!
Life is b**tch Wingy, i wouldn't wish anyone to lose their jobs, but when Karrimor sacked their sales team here in South Tyrol, many lost theirs. I'd be happy to see a sales team set back up again here, that's all. there's a great market for their goods, being in the Alps....and yes, I would be personally interested in leading their sales and marketing team, no harm in that is there?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:39   #12
Junior Member+

Also, if you analyse the labour market in the North West, there is far more request for manufacturing jobs than for sales aand marekting graduates, so by tailoring the sales and marketing teams to the needs of the local markets, you would in the medium term create more work back in Accy, as better marketed products sell better, therefore, more products need to be produced. Inconsideration was not what motivated my reply, it was actually a desire to create a win-win situation!
Old 03-03-2004, 15:24   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Jo. Wingy's post was aimed at another post from one of our weightier, Rishton based members, who put a post on here the other day which fortunately has been deleted as it wasn't very nice. Unfortunately it seems that Wingy had already replied to it, and I have to say I was very tempted myself, but had been on another thread where this persons posts had been deleted, so I didn't bother. You have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch our moderators. Which is a good job considering the insulting drivel this person has been posting.ops:
Old 03-03-2004, 16:23   #14

Thaks for the deffence Lettie, and sorry to Jo for any offence but as Lettie pointed out there was a tasteless post before mine, and as i cannot moderate in this section i thought i would reply. Unfortunatly i had not viewed the thread since the offending post was made, so didn't realise how the thread read. (i'm a poet!!). Hope no offence was taken :-)

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 14:27   #15
Junior Member+

Oops,
Sorry Wingy, I thought you were being a bit hard on me!!!
I have very red cheeks and am hanging my head in shame.......
I also was too touchy!!!
No hard feelings, I hope!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..