Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 15:07   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Question Katrina- Aftermath

weve all seen the devastation caused by sundays hurricane in the usa, what i can,t understand is when these disasters occur in the world,Britain, and other countries usually within 48 hrs announce that they are sending aid teams etc to assist= as in the tsunami in the far east, subs at the bottom of the sea etc, sofar i have not heard one country announce anything, WHY? is it cos the usa is the richest country in the world? cos if thats the reason something is sadly wrong in my view. AID means for anyone surely! these people in this catastrophe certainly are not all rich. plus its obvious to anyone watching the news although the usa government are doing all they can,the magnitude of whats happened is to much to deal with this as quickly as they would like, i always thought we were allies!
Old 01-09-2005, 15:11   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Katrina- Aftermath

Maybe cause america is way too big headed and believes it "doesn't need help" blah blah blah america is so0o0o great , we can do it all ourselfs.

America's pride is going to be the death of them, personally I don't care it's there own fault.
Old 01-09-2005, 15:52   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samael
Maybe cause america is way too big headed and believes it "doesn't need help" blah blah blah america is so0o0o great , we can do it all ourselfs.

America's pride is going to be the death of them, personally I don't care it's there own fault.
What a complete pratt!!!!!!!!!

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 15:54   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
What a complete pratt!!!!!!!!!
Seconded......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 15:56   #5
Give, give, give member

Cashman and myself spoke about this over a brew this afternoon.

The people who are suffering may live in the richest country in the world, but a lot of them aren't rich and have lost everything and will face weeks if not months before basic ammenities are restored.

All this plus the threat of disease, a tragedy, the people sheltering in the Super Bowl in unbearable heat and no sanitation was heartbreaking.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 15:58   #6

Quote:

Sam, you really need to start putting your brain into gear before setting your mouth in motion.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 16:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
weve all seen the devastation caused by sundays hurricane in the usa, what i can,t understand is when these disasters occur in the world,Britain, and other countries usually within 48 hrs announce that they are sending aid teams etc to assist= as in the tsunami in the far east, subs at the bottom of the sea etc, sofar i have not heard one country announce anything, WHY? is it cos the usa is the richest country in the world? cos if thats the reason something is sadly wrong in my view. AID means for anyone surely! these people in this catastrophe certainly are not all rich. plus its obvious to anyone watching the news although the usa government are doing all they can,the magnitude of whats happened is to much to deal with this as quickly as they would like, i always thought we were allies!
Actually Cashman, offers have come in from countries throughout the world and I'm sure the people of the northern Gulf Coast are very grateful for that. It really was a disaster of immense proportions and is said to be the greatest natural disaster ever in the USA. Your concern does you great credit, thank you.

JohnW
Old 01-09-2005, 16:02   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:

That's just plain sick, suffering is suffering wherever people live.

Your comments about friends is sadly starting to make sense.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 16:15   #9
Senior Member+

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

Maybe this will help him/her understand a bit more.

Old 01-09-2005, 16:18   #10
God Member

Katrina as junior Bush would say is an act of god and nothing to do with global warming (alledgedlly). Unfortunatley it is the poor and helpless who suffer which in the richest country is a disgrace. Less war and more money to stop this happening is a priority. Peoples life is the most valuable thing there is.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 16:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Cashman and myself spoke about this over a brew this afternoon.

The people who are suffering may live in the richest country in the world, but a lot of them aren't rich and have lost everything and will face weeks if not months before basic ammenities are restored.

All this plus the threat of disease, a tragedy, the people sheltering in the Super Bowl in unbearable heat and no sanitation was heartbreaking.
Your are quite right, about 28% of people who live in the New Orleans area are below the poverty line and although there was a mandatory evacuation of the city, many of these people had no real means to get out. The authorities would be well advised to fill the area in and build the city somewhere else, ie. not below sea level and not surrounded on three sides by bodies of water.

Two people actually died in the bowl where they were sheltering because, although the building was designed to withstand 200 mph winds, part of the roof came off. These poor souls are now being transferred by buses to a similar bowl in Houston, Texas in order to take them away from the obvious dangers of falling masonary and disease. It's a very sad state of affairs.

JohnW
Old 01-09-2005, 16:24   #12
God Member

Bazf, just of interest this is the biggest item of news here since the 7/7 bombings, so we are seeing lots of pictures.

On a slightly different note, us not forget that this is still only half way through the hurricane season & given the current high water temperature in the mid-west atlantic the probability of another one of these is very high. I know you and JohnW are right in the main path so best of luck!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 16:38   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Actually Cashman, offers have come in from countries throughout the world and I'm sure the people of the northern Gulf Coast are very grateful for that. It really was a disaster of immense proportions and is said to be the greatest natural disaster ever in the USA. Your concern does you great credit, thank you.
thats heartening to hear john, just havent heard anything on british tv about any aid offers,despite the immense coverage the disasters had. as weve been out there a couple of times since 9/11, we found the the southerns states people really friendly and helpful,and its really grieving us. and i can,t bring myself to respond in the thread to those stupid comments,cos if ido i will no doubt be banned from the site.
Old 01-09-2005, 16:44   #14
God Member

Charity begins at home regardless of who needs it. The media will only show what they think we want to see, selective amnisia would be the best discription. When a disaster happens we should all rally round as we could be next and how would we feel in that position.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 18:22   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Bazf, just of interest this is the biggest item of news here since the 7/7 bombings, so we are seeing lots of pictures.

On a slightly different note, us not forget that this is still only half way through the hurricane season & given the current high water temperature in the mid-west atlantic the probability of another one of these is very high. I know you and JohnW are right in the main path so best of luck!
Thanks for your thoughts T and yes if it had turned right while it was steaming up the Gulf of Mexico I may not be writing this now. I was just watching the news and they mentioned that the British were sending a team from International Rescue so people are rallying around.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..