Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2013, 15:26   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Are you blind to everything else on this site?

You want me and Jay to appear mortal enemies?

You ignore other conversations we have together agreeing and occasionally defending?

Of course I get at him, he attempts sometimes to get at me and IF we ignore the spelling sometimes he comes close.

The big but is....

Despite being ignorant of anything that isn't Tory, he is a friend, I have no problem with anyone's politics if they don't harm me and mine, Mags and hers did more harm than was needed to a large proportion of Our Country.

Now go forth spread your word but please don't consider me to be anything other than what I am.
Shouldn't that be what I is Less
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2013, 15:29   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Actually the Latin mistress(was it Florry, prominent front teeth?) had a soft spot for me so I never got beaten!

Result- the day of my last Latin lesson was the day I forgot the lot.
"Flossy" Fergusson, maybe? She was a sweetheart
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:29   #78
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Shouldn't that be what I is Less
Nope I passed my 11+ first time around, no need to be corrected I am part of the elite!

(Well I was until she who makes all dismayed appeared on the scene).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:34   #79
Senior Member+

So we should have kept the subsidised mines alive so they could produce coal which was still more expensive than we could buy abroad?

Well let's be fair and even handed then.

We should have kept all those shipyards open even though no-body was buying our ships, Korea Japan etc. were cheaper.
BL- we should have kept it alive, there were plenty of fields left to put the cars on which they couldn't sell(even to BL workers).
TV's,washing machines, fridges, clothes( even M&S clothes), shoes- we should have subsidised ALL these factories to keep ALL the workers in work? Even though the goods they produced were more expensive than we could buy from abroad?

Only one problem- 2+2=5 doesn't work. You run out of money. You can't have subsidised industries employing subsidised workers to produce subsidised goods which they can't afford to buy because their taxes rise to pay the subsidies to themselves and everyone else.

As the goods are more expensive than foreign stuff you can't export it. You're out of business!

We should have replaced our old industries which couldn't compete with modern hi-tech industry which the rising economies couldn't beat.
We didn't, we relied on banking, North Sea oil and gas to keep us afloat. It worked but only for a little while.
Lucysgirl and GEaston like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:39   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Big Jim taught me Latin
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:41   #81
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
So we should have kept the subsidised mines alive so they could produce coal which was still more expensive than we could buy abroad?

Well let's be fair and even handed then.

We should have kept all those shipyards open even though no-body was buying our ships, Korea Japan etc. were cheaper.
BL- we should have kept it alive, there were plenty of fields left to put the cars on which they couldn't sell(even to BL workers).
TV's,washing machines, fridges, clothes( even M&S clothes), shoes- we should have subsidised ALL these factories to keep ALL the workers in work? Even though the goods they produced were more expensive than we could buy from abroad?

Only one problem- 2+2=5 doesn't work. You run out of money. You can't have subsidised industries employing subsidised workers to produce subsidised goods which they can't afford to buy because their taxes rise to pay the subsidies to themselves and everyone else.

As the goods are more expensive than foreign stuff you can't export it. You're out of business!

We should have replaced our old industries which couldn't compete with modern hi-tech industry which the rising economies couldn't beat.
We didn't, we relied on banking, North Sea oil and gas to keep us afloat. It worked but only for a little while.
Old arguments with just as equally old rhetoric coming your way,

We have either in this thread or the Maggie one agreed that labour (you know labour? People working), and management were crap to each other during that time, but come on, to waste a whole industry?
The actions of a megalomaniac!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:57   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Big Jim taught me Latin
I remember him ... I think he also taught Greek to the sixth. Seemed like a harmless enough sort.
Old 13-04-2013, 16:01   #83
Senior Member+

Big Gentle Giant
Eric likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 16:22   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Tick tock the clock is ticking
Tick tock, tick to...........................whoops the springs broken.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 16:25   #85
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
We have either in this thread or the Maggie one agreed that labour (you know labour? People working), and management were crap to each other during that time, but come on, to waste a whole industry?
The actions of a megalomaniac!
It will always be a matter for argument Less, how much would have happened with any prime minister, and how much was down to Margaret?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 16:30   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Big Gentle Giant
That describes him to a "t" ... I remember Ben teaching German. We started each class with a little sing along ... always the same song. One that reflected how he saw his function as HEADMASTER.

Enough wandering ... time to go and buy cat food .... the little b's are eating me out of mouse and home.
Old 13-04-2013, 18:53   #87
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
It will always be a matter for argument Less, how much would have happened with any prime minister, and how much was down to Margaret?
Some figures here augmenting my suggestion that the mining industry was in terminal decline and even more jobs were lost before Thatcher came to power.
Around a million jobs vanished between 1920 and 1980.
More than 300,000 coal mining jobs disappeared during the period between the 1960's and 70's.
Margaret T was the coal industries most visible foe but not the one who lost it the most jobs.
Lucysgirl likes this.
Old 13-04-2013, 19:02   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
''Flossy'', that was it. She was a lovely lady.
I disliked German that much I don't even remember who taught me it. I could never imagine a boy and girl having a romantic conversation in German but I suppose they must have done or there wouldn't be any Germans.
''Froggy'', was it, the little German/Austrian who taught us French with a German accent?
Didn't he have to get out of Germany before WW2? I always felt sorry for him, a sad little man.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 19:07   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Time to debate dead industries, lets start with Coal...

It's himself, Phelan: Myths and the miners strike

Now I know there are many here with Rose tinted glasses, not to mention a few miners. I'm interested to hear the counter arguments as to how the above is factually wrong, and in particular why this industry should have been kept alive at the taxpayers gigantic expense?
Eh up old big heads backAnd the tax payer of course means him because he has paid considerably more tax than anyone else here,(apparently)

Last edited by walkinman221; 13-04-2013 at 19:12.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 19:22   #90
I am Banned

Quote:
Didn't he have to get out of Germany before WW2? I always felt sorry for him, a sad little man.
Remarkably prescient of him though

Sorry to interrupt this love in for the GSOB's

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..