Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2009, 17:40   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Kind Hearts and Coronets.

It all seems a bit stupid now, seeing that the film was still viewed anyway but all of 30 odd people (odd probably in more than one way! Lol!) This was just a statement by the Government to appease certain sections in the community. All they've done now is given him even more publicity, another bullet in the foot for the Government me thinks.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2009, 17:51   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
A further retreat from the English tradition of free speech and open debate.
I totally agree.

I don't agree with what Mr. Wilders says, but I've yet to read anything he's said that breaks any British laws, as distasteful as his views might be.

Meanwhile we allow, and pay for those whose preaching does break our laws, to remain at liberty, and that's besides the rappers welcomed to our shores who glorify hate killing in their songs.

This government have a very narrow view about who is, and who isn't, allowed freedom of speech.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37   #18
God Member

He's overturned the ban and is on his way as a guest of Lord Pearson, the leader of UKIP.

The Press Association: Wilders overturns ban on visiting UK

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
He's overturned the ban and is on his way as a guest of Lord Pearson, the leader of UKIP.

The Press Association: Wilders overturns ban on visiting UK
No doubt rent a mob will be out in force to greet him
Old 05-03-2010, 16:09   #20
God Member

Didn't the courts (European?) order that the Home Secretary was acting illegally in barring Wilders from entry. That aside, how would any government react if, as is expected, Wilders becomes the new Dutch Prime Minister???
Old 05-03-2010, 18:40   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Didn't the courts (European?) order that the Home Secretary was acting illegally in barring Wilders from entry. That aside, how would any government react if, as is expected, Wilders becomes the new Dutch Prime Minister???
Good point ... then he will be not an individual but an expression of the will of the Dutch people ... even if he doesn't win a majority he will still represent a significant proportion of the electorate ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 21:35   #22
God Member

from all the different races and creeds I have met over the years I would say the Dutch are the most similar to the English , one or two irritating traits but on the whole have a similar outlook on life and a not too different sense of humour . That being said , if this Wilders chap does become the elected Dutch PM it should be seen as a 'red flag' to British politicians as to what the British population is also thinking , will they take note , doubtfull .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 22:19   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
from all the different races and creeds I have met over the years I would say the Dutch are the most similar to the English , one or two irritating traits but on the whole have a similar outlook on life and a not too different sense of humour . That being said , if this Wilders chap does become the elected Dutch PM it should be seen as a 'red flag' to British politicians as to what the British population is also thinking , will they take note , doubtfull .
If, as you say, the British population think the same as Herr Wilders, then BNP will gain at least 100 seats at the next election and I don't think that will happen.
Having seen the interview of Wilders on newsnight he was forthright about his anti-muslim proposals but at least he didn't bring race and colour into his argument.

Last edited by Mancie; 05-03-2010 at 22:24.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 22:34   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It shouldn't be just the British who should sit up & take note, pretty much all of Western Europe should be looking in. As the Dutch Nation are probably the most liberal in Europe & are tending more towards ruffled feathers as things develop further concerning the rise & militancy in some sectors of the Muslim populace, it should surely have a wake up effect on its neighbours.

And since we are supposedly a united Europe, what are the MEP's of the EU doing to alleviate their peoples fears & concerns in respect of the issues being raised ? Or are they to preoccupied with other more pressing concerns ? such as their levels of pay ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 23:27   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
from all the different races and creeds I have met over the years I would say the Dutch are the most similar to the English
I've got lots of Dutch friends, and I see what you're saying, and if forced to pick a similar nation, I'd probably chose them too.

They're way more liberal than us, of course, and at the same time puritanically restrained.

They do like a good knees up, and a laugh....which is fairly uncommon amongst some of our other near neighbours.

Old 05-03-2010, 23:54   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I've got lots of Dutch friends, and I see what you're saying, and if forced to pick a similar nation, I'd probably chose them too.

They're way more liberal than us, of course, and at the same time puritanically restrained.

They do like a good knees up, and a laugh....which is fairly uncommon amongst some of our other near neighbours.

Then do your Dutch friends have the same views as Wilders?... such as banning the Koran?.. I ain't picking but the bloke made it clear the Koran would be banned if he had the power to do it.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 23:56   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
If, as you say, the British population think the same as Herr Wilders, then BNP will gain at least 100 seats at the next election and I don't think that will happen.
Having seen the interview of Wilders on newsnight he was forthright about his anti-muslim proposals but at least he didn't bring race and colour into his argument.
Not sure but I think the Dutch have a proportional voting system which by its nature allows smaller parties a voice , no way under the British first past the post system would the BNP get 100 seats , but under a proportional vote I'm thinking the number of seats they could gain would be an eye opener ........

my favourite word in Dutch ..... kippernercker , just rolls off the tongue
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 00:07   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Then do your Dutch friends have the same views as Wilders?... such as banning the Koran?.. I ain't picking but the bloke made it clear the Koran would be banned if he had the power to do it.
No. My friends are way too liberal to support him.

There is a ground fear of an errosion of the Dutch way of life, wherever that threat comes from, and when the threat threatens to take away the liberties and liberalism, of which they are justly proud.

I've said many times on here that mainstream political parties refusal to tackle head on the vast majority of people's fears of their way of life being changed so quickly, is a very frightening prospect, and especially so when we see the continued support for extremist organisations such as the B.N.P. The bend over backwards, for fear of being labelled racist, by the pandering P.C. sycophants is divisive, and ultimately dangerous.

Let's not forget that just two decades before Hitler came to power Germany was one of the most politically liberal, and socially enlightend countries the world had ever seen.

Things can change in a relative flash.

Old 06-03-2010, 00:13   #29
Give, give, give member

Liberalism is east to crush, and overthrow.

Mainly because they're liberal, and allow you the freedom to do it.

When liberals, such as the Dutch, feel threatened, and start to fight back, to hold on to their freedoms, it's time to start worrying.

Old 06-03-2010, 00:52   #30
Give, give, give member

Besides it's hilarious, if it wasn't so frighteningly sad, that lily-livered politicans are too afraid to tackle extremists using religion as a weapon, for fear of being labelled as 'racist'.

Islam, like most other major religions, isn't a race, and has followers from all four corners of the Earth, of many differing nationalities, and racial backgrounds.

Namby-pamby idiots.

I had a letter last week from the NHS in Blackburn, regarding new medical record storage.

The letter was also available in Gujarati, Urdu, Manderin, Polish, French, Farsi and Spanish.

I'm all for everyone being able to access esential services, but this divisive, patronising attitude, isn't the way.

How much more do these translations cost?

What about the poor Romanians, do they not get a nice copy in their language, or the Lithuanians?

How many generations do we keep these divisions in society, by encouraging separation?

If people can't speak English they should get lessons.

These people might be able to read the form I got in their language, but you can bet your bottom dollar the vast majorities of receptionists and nurses in the NHS won't speak their language, so it's all a bit pointless until they can speak English.

This is the stupid attitude that comes down right from the upper reaches of government, which infuriates fair minded people, and allows the rise of right-wing extremism to flourish.

Namby-pamby idiots.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..