Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 01:24   #31
God Member

Re: Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Not having the the ability to speak English "infuriates fair minded people"..I'd say it infuriates narrow minded people.. I know of Chinese bloke and his wife that have brought up a family here and the only English he knows is chinky curry rice fork and most English words that are banned on here... I also know Brits that have spent 20yyrs in Hong Kong and Singapore that will make no attempt to speak the local language..so by your reckoning they should take lessons ?.. no chance.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2010, 02:40   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
A further retreat from the English tradition of free speech and open debate.
behave..there has never been a form of free speech that has been uniqiue to England..and I hope there never is because free speech to some means death to others.

Last edited by Mancie; 06-03-2010 at 02:48.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:17   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Not having the the ability to speak English "infuriates fair minded people"..I'd say it infuriates narrow minded people.. I know of Chinese bloke and his wife that have brought up a family here and the only English he knows is chinky curry rice fork and most English words that are banned on here... I also know Brits that have spent 20yyrs in Hong Kong and Singapore that will make no attempt to speak the local language..so by your reckoning they should take lessons ?.. no chance.
That's not what I said.

I said people should get English lessons, rather than patronising, divisive people tripping over themselves to offer translation services for every offical form.

How many generations should be kept isolated from the wider community Mancie, by preventing them speaking English?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
free speech to some means death to others.
You are, of course, referring to the likes of Abu Hamza, Omar Bakri Mohammed and their love and tolerance of christianity and western society.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
You are, of course, referring to the likes of Abu Hamza, Omar Bakri Mohammed and their love and tolerance of christianity and western society.
Nice one yerself, took the words out of my mouth
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Besides it's hilarious, if it wasn't so frighteningly sad, that lily-livered politicans are too afraid to tackle extremists using religion as a weapon, for fear of being labelled as 'racist'.

Islam, like most other major religions, isn't a race, and has followers from all four corners of the Earth, of many differing nationalities, and racial backgrounds.

Namby-pamby idiots.

I had a letter last week from the NHS in Blackburn, regarding new medical record storage.

The letter was also available in Gujarati, Urdu, Manderin, Polish, French, Farsi and Spanish.

I'm all for everyone being able to access esential services, but this divisive, patronising attitude, isn't the way.

How much more do these translations cost?

What about the poor Romanians, do they not get a nice copy in their language, or the Lithuanians?

How many generations do we keep these divisions in society, by encouraging separation?

If people can't speak English they should get lessons.

These people might be able to read the form I got in their language, but you can bet your bottom dollar the vast majorities of receptionists and nurses in the NHS won't speak their language, so it's all a bit pointless until they can speak English.

This is the stupid attitude that comes down right from the upper reaches of government, which infuriates fair minded people, and allows the rise of right-wing extremism to flourish.

Namby-pamby idiots.
Holy crap ... and some over here bitch because we have two official languages
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30   #37
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
If you decide to live elsewhere, learning that Countries Language is a corner stone of integration, without it there is no assimilation & thus "Ghettoes" & "enclaves" of foreign speaking Nationals form. This then encourages resentment & mistrust from the indigenous Peoples.

I know this from my own experiences here in Germany, I chose to settle here after leaving the Forces, I have a German Wife, my Son was educated in the German School system & I worked in Germany for a civilian German Company. Had I insisted on speaking purely English in all my dealings I know I wouldn't have been anywhere near as settled as I am.

I learnt as I went along, initially my spoken German was poor, but because I made an effort, the people accepted my destroying their Language & didn't pass comment, in fact they aided were possible much to my gratitude. I now speak passably good German, can read it & on occasions make a foray into written Language, often with wry smiles from the recipients.

In short I've tried to become accepted & I think succeeded, due to my willingness to accept other peoples way of life, if more of the settlers to UK adopted this approach, the Country would not be seeing the internal turmoil & tensions it presently is. As to those who have no desire to integrate they should be repatriated immediately to a place where their views fit their tirades & let the rest of us live our lives together peaceably.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 06-03-2010 at 09:33.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32   #38
Resting in Peace

With all this doom and gloom about melting ice caps and rising sea levels I would have thought the Dutch had enough problems looking for higher ground.

Or at the very least spending what time they have left inventing an amphibious push bike.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39   #39
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
With all this doom and gloom about melting ice caps and rising sea levels I would have thought the Dutch had enough problems looking for higher ground.

Or at the very least spending what time they have left inventing an amphibious push bike.
No need they'll just produce bigger Dykes !!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:13   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
No need they'll just produce bigger Dykes !!
Would that be Geta from Amsterdam Dave
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Would that be Geta from Amsterdam Dave
Can usually be found down the Canal Re-treat

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

So you've sampled the delights & sights of Amsterdam then, you World weary travellers !!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So you've sampled the delights & sights of Amsterdam then, you World weary travellers !!
Only window shopping.

Old 06-03-2010, 13:38   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can usually be found down the Canal Re-treat
Know it well Beni, came across it in research
Old 06-03-2010, 13:40   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Only window shopping.
Did the curtains shut when you went in for souvenirs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..