Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23   #1
Give, give, give member

Kind Hearts and Coronets.

There is much controversy at the moment about the Home Office's decision to refuse entry to far-right Dutch politican Geert Wilders, on the grounds that his visit would 'threaten community harmony and therefore public security'.

He was invited to the country by Lord Pearson, who planned to screen Wilder's anti-Islamic film 'Fitna' in the House of Lords.

Since this Dutch politican's film has resulted in a fatwa ordering his murder, is it really wise for a member of the House of Lords to want to screen this film in the Houses of Parliament, and put our national security at risk?

If Lord Pearson is so desperate to see this film I'm sure it's available on DVD, and he could watch it in the comfort of his own home, rather than in our second chamber.

Far-right Dutch MP Geert Wilders barred from UK over anti-Islam film - Times Online

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Geert Wilders is being interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show Garinda after noon.

Seems he can just enter the country if flys into Heathrow ... baggage put on another flight, but he can leave the airport for interview ... or summat like that.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40   #3
Resting in Peace

We've enough Weirdos of our own that stir the pot without letting them in from other countries, me thinks twas a bit of poor judgement by the Noble Lord
Old 12-02-2009, 10:43   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Geert Wilders is being interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show Garinda after noon.
So I heard, moments after posting it.

I still think it's called the Jeremy Vine show though, not Garinda After Noon.

That show's on Radio 4.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:51   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
We've enough Weirdos of our own that stir the pot without letting them in from other countries
I thought our resident 'weirdos' were imports. Abu Hamza and his followers certainly weren't home-grown. If we are to give voice to the likes of Hamza and his cronies why not to this Dutchman? No matter how much you may disagree with him, we are after all the land of free speech and equal opportunity, aren't we?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59   #6
Give, give, give member

Blimey, this issue has even untited Peter Thatchell and the Daily Mail on this issue. That must be a first!

They both accuse Home Secretary Jacqui Smith of hypocrisy when it comes to whom she sees fit to enter Britain.

Although Wilder is very anti-Islam, he's apparently never threatened violence, unlike some people who are granted free entry to our shores.

EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: Peter Tatchell hits the nail on the head as he accuses Jacqui Smith of 'gross hypocrisy' | Mail Online

Old 12-02-2009, 16:28   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I thought our resident 'weirdos' were imports. Abu Hamza and his followers certainly weren't home-grown. If we are to give voice to the likes of Hamza and his cronies why not to this Dutchman? No matter how much you may disagree with him, we are after all the land of free speech and equal opportunity, aren't we?
I'm one of the people who think Captain Hook should have been sent back to whence he came but, this government won't do it, and whats more we're keeping his brood just to add insult to injury, if this guy doesn't like our way of life why have we allowed him to rip us of for years
Old 12-02-2009, 16:47   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'd go along with that i think. If he was critizising Christians or the Bible he'd have been welcomed..no problem!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:48   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm one of the people who think Captain Hook should have been sent back to whence he came but, this government won't do it, and whats more we're keeping his brood just to add insult to injury, if this guy doesn't like our way of life why have we allowed him to rip us of for years
I presume we are not talking about the Peter Pan character
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:51   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I presume we are not talking about the Peter Pan character
Sadly not.

Abu Hamza al-Masri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2009, 17:52   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I'd go along with that i think. If he was critizising Christians or the Bible he'd have been welcomed..no problem!

Best Regards - Taggy
Quote:
i'm in the two wrongs don't make a right camp, n happy they turned the guy back.
Old 12-02-2009, 18:14   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Kinda looks like the guy in the movie ... but I don't see the Croc
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 10:59   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Kinda looks like the guy in the movie ... but I don't see the Croc
Unfortunately Eric
Old 13-02-2009, 15:16   #14

A further retreat from the English tradition of free speech and open debate.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 16:12   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
From the wiki link above

Quote:
The Yemeni authorities have requested his arrest and extradition, claiming he is linked to plots to bomb targets there, but the British authorities have not complied claiming he will not get a fair trial. Not that the majority of Britons care about that. We just want this evil person removed from our shores.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..