Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26   #1
Resting in Peace

Knife crime

The Prime Minister was meeting police chiefs this morning to discuss charging under 18s who are caught carrying a knife, at the moment anyone under 18 is let off with just a caution, but could know end up with a criminal record. Of course the bleeding heart brigade are saying that these young people shouldn't be brought into the criminal justise system at such a young age, my answer is they shouldn't be carrying a knife at a young age either. Something has to be done about juvenile knife crime, and this could be a start.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Knife crime

If they are old enough to stab someone they are old enough to face the consequences of carrying an offensive weapon. Makes more sense than the twerp last week who said all pointed kitchen knives should be banned. The knife doesn't commit the crime. I need points on my kitchen knives.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with both of ya, but totally pointless cos blazey dont know anyone who would use a knife. so everyone is imagining this threat.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree with both of ya, but totally pointless cos blazey dont know anyone who would use a knife. so everyone is imagining this threat.
Ah well thats settled it then cashy, we'll just carry on as we are then
Old 05-06-2008, 12:02   #5
God Member

If they think they are old enough and big enough to carry/use it, then they should be punished accordingly
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11   #6
Beacon of light

While I think this is a start, there are some stabbings that have been done with shards of a broken bottle......the little boy Damilola Taylor springs to mind.
We have to change the mindset of the youngsters who think that violence is glamourous, and we have to somehow replace the 'gang culture' with something more acceptable(both to the youngsters and society in general)...don't ask me how you would achieve it......I plain don't know....other than parents being more involved.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11   #7
Senior Member+

Simple, catch them with a knife, cut their hands off, they'll not do it again...............
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:13   #8
Beacon of light

Emzy, you are right , but the 'bleeding heart brigade' certainly won't wear that one!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:31   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Emzy, you are right , but the 'bleeding heart brigade' certainly won't wear that one!
Think thay all need to see sense and stop thinking about the youths "rights". In many cases a youth has lost their rights after one of these attacks so why should the offender have any, they're rights to me become meaningless when they commit such a crime
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:09   #10

Heard on the radio that most of young people carry knives to protect themsleves. If someone really wanted to attck you they could just wrestle your knife off you and stab you with it!
Old 05-06-2008, 16:23   #11

Would a carrying swiss army knife being illegal ? Just thought about it haha i've had one on key ring for years now bottle opener, tweezers etc useful to carry around but if it's classed as a knife I can't carry it can I ?
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:27   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Heard on the radio that most of young people carry knives to protect themselves. If someone really wanted to attck you they could just wrestle your knife off you and stab you with it!
you will learn different moon as you grow older, aint being nasty just tellin ya fact, i was once stabbed mid 60s n its a whole different ball game to the one you are imagining.
Old 05-06-2008, 17:25   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

LMFAO!!!!! ...... Oh what it's like to be blinkered

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 00:05   #14
God Member

Interesting .... just heard today that a private members bill is being introduced in our House of Commons to set minimum sentences for knife crimes, similar to the ones we already have for gun crimes. Our most recent multiple murder was commited with a knife; fortunately the killer had the decency to off himself with the knife he used to kill his boarder, his wife, and two of his young daughters. Evidently he could't bring himself to kill his baby. However, the law if passed will apply only to adults.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:25   #15
God Member

If anyone wants to carry a knife, or any other weapon around, they should be locked up, I would view carrying a weapon in the same light as 'going equipped' (carrying tools for break ins during the night), the view should be taken, that, if you are carrying a weapon, you are prepared to use it, so if you are carrying, and prepared to use it, you go to prison (or worse, but dont want to upset the hug a hoodie brigade again, hehe).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..