Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2005, 12:53   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Kylie's breast cancer.

I just hope they caught it in time

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2005, 12:55   #17
God Member

Who is this Kylie Minogue? Is she a member of the Accy Web? Is she a local resident? Or is she that third-rate antipodean soap actress turned popular music performer whose only talent appears to be to wiggle her semi-clad bottom in a highly provocative manner?

I suspect it is the latter and as such I am surprised that this should be of concern to fellow board members. I have no doubt that Miss Minogue has the funds to purchase the best possible treatment wherever she may choose, so good luck to her.

Surely a more contentious discussion should be about the level of oncological care and facilities available within the NHS, as compared to the levels available in Europe, the US or Australia? The fact is that we have the lowest cancer survival rates of all the western economies. But not only that; there is a huge disparity within the NHS in the health resources provided for the treatment of (female) breast cancer and (male) prostate cancer. Quite simply, us guys are getting a very raw deal.

I shall shred no tears for Kylie.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 13:00   #18
Senior Member+

If you want any decent healthcare, pay for it. They do in other countries. It's no good comparing facilities between here and the countries that pay for their health care.

Don't rely on freebies.

And the reason she is getting the media attention is because she has quite a large fan base, not just in Accrington (or Tunbridge Wells, for that matter), but all over the world.

You would expect to see the same attention for anyone who is, or has been, in the public eye.

Old 17-05-2005, 13:04   #19
white rabbits

it said she is in the very early stages ,so she should be allright ....but as tealeaf said she can afford the best treatment.....its a shame that poorer mortals have to wait much longer for treatment,but BEST WISHES to her and anyone else in the same situation..
Old 17-05-2005, 13:12   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
You would expect to see the same attention for anyone who is, or has been, in the public eye.
Absolute rubbish. There used to be standards in public life whereby anyone afflicted with this disease would have the decorum and the dignity to keep it to themselves, certainly in its early (and hopefully treatable) stages.

"Celebrities" did not go shouting their mouth off after every unwelcome doctor's diagnosis. This is now a very recent phenomena, and in Miss Minogues case the single reason it has been done is to feed her own nauseating publicity machine.
Old 17-05-2005, 13:37   #21
Senior Member+

I think it is actually to people's benefit that this has been made public.

She is extremely young to get breast cancer, and it therefore puts out a warning to people of her age that it can be picked up before the age of 40.

The fact that she is famous helps to spread the message.

It is not always to 'feed peoples' nauseating publicity machines' as you put it, and just because you dislike her does not make her a bad person, which you appear to imply.

Old 17-05-2005, 14:08   #22
God Member

What sort of person she is, I absolutely have no idea. I do know her so-called music is complete drivel and so if this episode means that we are going to be spared this racket then I am not going to lose any sleepless nights.

I will be most upset however, if I cannot get an appointment with my local GP simply because the surgery has suddenly become overwhelmed with hords of hysterical teenage brats all wanting an examination or an oncology referral.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 17-05-2005 at 14:16.
Old 17-05-2005, 14:32   #23
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Breast screening is automatic in this country after the age of 50 unless there is a strong family history (mother, sisters etc). It is still relatively unusual for breast cancer to be diagnosed earlier than that. The treatment for breast cancer is improving steadily and women continue to push for improvement due to high profile campaigns and high profile cases such as Kylie.

There is a discrepancy in cancer care in this country where men seem to come off the worst. Unless you push for treatment and ask for second opinions and generally make a nuisance of yourself to your doctor, especially if you are young, then you may get fobbed off. Men may act like they are on their death beds when faced with a common cold but unfortunately when seriously ill they tend not to make much fuss. That was my experience of looking after men on a surgical ward where many would come in with cancers so advanced that they were literally an 'open and shut' case.

The media have been trying to redress the balance by informing young men about how to self examine for cancers, especially testicular. Mags like FHM often contain these kind of health pages, you just have to leaf through pages of semi-clad women and motorbikes to find them.

I would agree that someone's medical problems are private and confidential no matter who they are, but it is only through publicising such issues that awareness is raised. I would advise anyone young or old not to panic and be rushing off to the GP in hysterics. Be sensible, check yourself for unusual lumps and bumps as part of a routine (including fellas) and get to know your own body. If you are worried then contact your doc.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 15:05   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If you want any decent healthcare, pay for it. They do in other countries. It's no good comparing facilities between here and the countries that pay for their health care.

Don't rely on freebies.

And the reason she is getting the media attention is because she has quite a large fan base, not just in Accrington (or Tunbridge Wells, for that matter), but all over the world.

Free health care?
Who pays for it the fairies?
Hope you're never ill in America with no money!

Last edited by garinda; 17-05-2005 at 15:18. Reason: Quoted from Tea's wrong post- you get drift tho!
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 15:14   #25
Give, give, give member

Oopsie!

Didn't realise we could only post about things directly related to Hyndburn! I once met her at a post fashion show party, and being drunk on a free bar told her she was as small as a very small doll. I am in Ossy. Does this then qualify said bottom wiggler's health to be discused here?

Cancer has probably touched everyone of us on here in some way, and raising awareness surely can't be wrong? And boys, like Tealeaf said prostrate cancer is on the increase in young men, so as well as your two veg also check your hidden walnut.

Last edited by garinda; 17-05-2005 at 15:21.
Old 17-05-2005, 15:21   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Free health care?
Who pays for it the fairies?
Hope you're never ill in America with no money!
Where the healthcare is not free it is accepted that it has to be paid for.

If I was ill in America with no money I'd get a job, same as anyone else who needs money.

If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere and ran out of petrol, would you expect someone to come along and give you a few free gallons? Of course not! Even if you are a member of the AA/RAC, you still have to pay for the stuff.

I think that healthcare should be paid for. Members of the medical profession have to study for years to get their qualifications; why shouldn't they be rewarded for it. Lawyers are, and you normally have to pay for their services as well.

Old 17-05-2005, 15:25   #27
Filthy / Gorgeous

Healthcare is not free in this country. We all contribute to the cost of healthcare via our salary deductions. This buys us all the same service with the NHS. If you want a different service then you pay extra.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 17-05-2005, 15:32   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Where the healthcare is not free it is accepted that it has to be paid for.

If I was ill in America with no money I'd get a job, same as anyone else who needs money.

If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere and ran out of petrol, would you expect someone to come along and give you a few free gallons? Of course not! Even if you are a member of the AA/RAC, you still have to pay for the stuff.

I think that healthcare should be paid for. Members of the medical profession have to study for years to get their qualifications; why shouldn't they be rewarded for it. Lawyers are, and you normally have to pay for their services as well.
OK, I'll use myself as an example:-
Age 40. Worked since graduating aged 21. Last year diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. Aged 39, told I will never work again because of said degenerative incurrable disease. If l was in America, unless l had enough money for treatment for the rest of my life, or a very inclusive health insurance [most aren't for long term diseases, check the small print,] I would be up the proverbial creek.

Doctor's trained in this country do have tha choice to work in the private sector, so that point is -pointless!

Wishing l could go and get a job, and wishing you many years of good health Vorlon24.

Old 17-05-2005, 15:33   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
This buys us all the same service with the NHS.
As long as you live in the right postcode area

Old 17-05-2005, 15:45   #30
Filthy / Gorgeous

The so-called postcode lottery is unfair, but all users of the NHS have the right to go anywhere in the country for their treatment. People very often aren't informed of this but they should be. It is up to the individual to research their own condition, find out where offers the best treatment and then ask to go there. Sometimes GP's won't refer to these places because it may come off their budget and be expensive.

As an example, at Blackburn we will often refer our ladies for nuchal translucency screening at Leeds. This is deemed an essential test in pregnancy if you are considered at high risk of producing a child with Down's Syndrome for instance. The test will not be available in B'burn until 2007. If you are at high risk then the test is free in Leeds, if you are low risk but want the test anyway then you have to pay. The women at high risk are informed of this test, the women at low risk are not yet informed, but will often use other sources ie internet to find out that the test is available.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..