Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2005, 15:46   #31
God Member

Re: Kylie's breast cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I think that healthcare should be paid for. Members of the medical profession have to study for years to get their qualifications; why shouldn't they be rewarded for it. Lawyers are, and you normally have to pay for their services as well.
Until comparatively recently, medical students - as with all other students - did not have to pay tuition fees. They were paid direct plus students got a nice grant to cover their upkeep. I don't think doctors are now badly paid & certainly with the new NHS contracts coming into force the average GP salary will be above 100K with limited out-of-hours work.

However, it is quite true to say that if you supply anything free at the point of delivery you will never be able to satisfy demand and hence clinical care will be rationed by the queue. That is a simple, undeniable fact, no matter what resources you throw at the problem. That every other western country understands this simple piece of common sense yet we do not is simply due to politicall dogma on the part of all the parties. Yet because of this dogma we are saddled with one of the worse health care systems in the west.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 17-05-2005 at 16:02.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2005, 16:26   #32
g78

Well having been a target of cancer myself I wish her all the best and a speedy recovery.

Cancer doesn't care who it strikes, when or where either. I was 19 when I had my encounter and it's not the greatest of things to happen.

Whether you are male of female you should always check yourself for lumps, and if you do discover any then do not be afraid to see your doctor, no matter how embarrassing it may feel.

Always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 17-05-2005, 16:44   #33
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Tealeaf is right about the free healthcare being unable to meet demand. The NHS was set up to provide lifesaving emergency care to all in this country and was the envy of the world at one time. Unfortunately due to advances in science and medical research many treatments are now available which are given routinely but are not necessarily life saving, yet they are still free. Money-wise, the NHS is a bottomless pit and new treatments have to be paid for by somebody. It has now come to pass that one shot at IVF is now available on the NHS due to the recent NICE guidelines. This is mega-expensive treatment, not necessarily life saving but some may argue that for people desperate for children of their own it would improve quality of life.
It is high time that the government and the public realised that the NHS cannot be all things to all people and that non-lifesaving treatments should be paid for. It's also high time that people took responsibility for their own health. I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of missed appointments at GP's and hospital clinics by people who just can't be bothered to turn up. Not only could someone else have been seen in their place but it costs millions in wasted man hours, letters sent to the patients and follow up. Don't even get me started on the illegal immigrants free healthcare situation, as we have had some recently who have failed their appeals but have still been treated for free. Where's the fairness in that?

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 16:44   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Who is this Kylie Minogue?
Isn't she a Fly-half for London Wasps?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 16:54   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Tealeaf is right about the free healthcare being unable to meet demand....... Where's the fairness in that?
Thank you, Lettie. When it comes to matters of the NHS, then I shall bow before the master (or should I say mistress?)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:03   #36
Give, give, give member

Thank you all who contribute to my 'free' health care. Current cost of which for the drugs on the open market is over £70 per week, multiplied by say 40 years is an awful lot of money, even in affluent Tunbridge Wells.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:07   #37
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Thank you all who contribute to my 'free' health care. Current cost of which for the drugs on the open market is over £70 per week, multiplied by say 40 years is an awful lot of money, even in affluent Tunbridge Wells.
in the let it said you can pick them up for less than ten bob?how many do you take garinda....lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 17:19   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
in the let it said you can pick them up for less than ten bob?how many do you take garinda....lol
You know me Staggers, everything to excess!!!!!!!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 19:39   #39
Beacon of light

Routine breast screening does not start until you get to 50.......then it is every three years until you are 64, when it is suspended unless you specifically ask for it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 19:51   #40
Beacon of light

All girls in school should be taught self examination of the breasts......and encouraged to practice it every month of their lives.......and they should be encouraged to seek help immediately they find anything unusual.

If this was common practice then it is possible that problems would be identified early and lives could be saved.
There is anecdotal evidence that more younger women are being affected by this disease......and men out there...don't look so smug......1% of breast cancers are found in men. OK......so it's not a great amount but it is still possible for it to happen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 21:21   #41

I've had two friends - both under 50 - who have had breast cancer. Strikes me that the guidelines of starting screening after the age of 50 should be revised. Fortunately, both friends now treated and recovered because they were vigilant themselves but some people aren't that aware and aren't that lucky.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 22:14   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Who says Tunbridge Wells is affluent?

Don't let the preceding 'Royal' fool you...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 08:34   #43
Senior Member+

Saw in the news this morning that the reason why the news was released so soon was because she had tour dates later this week.

They did say that it is normally kept quiet for a while, but it was not possible on this occasion because of her tour.

Feeding a 'nauseating publicity machine'? Don't think so.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 08:40   #44
Senior Member+

People always think that cancer only happens to other people;if Kylie's case raises awareness in younger women then it's worth the publicity.She is a year younger than me and I was shocked when I read about it yesterday.
Old 22-05-2005, 23:27   #45

my wife works in the ayrshire hospice. as some of u have said the big C does'nt care.they have had patients from early twenties plus.some of the stories she tells me would bring a tear to your eye.young lasses of only early twenties with a young un's of about two year's old. never to see there third birthday.
folly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..