Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree129Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2015, 09:19   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Labour Leadership Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Incidentally, if he is elected leader, I can't wait until he announces his views on immigration. We'll see how his disciples on here react to them!
And what about the other 3 *******? are they likely to win n election? I think not.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40   #47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
And what about the other 3 *******? are they likely to win n election? I think not.
Probably not, but Corbyn isn't going to win it for 'em, just as Michael Foot didn't in the 80's! As I say, let's see if Comrade Corbyn's elected leader, what his views are on immigration, positive discrimination, law and order and all sorts of other topics. Personally, I reckon he'll launch the sort of policies that would see him castigated as a "bleeding heart liberal do-gooder" on here, but what do I know? I'm just "brainwashed" by the press!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 01-09-2015 at 09:43.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:51   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well i am beginning to wonder.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 19:47   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Don' think Balls-Cooper is serious about getting the job really, especially as she's bumping her gums about the UK should take 10,000 of these "Asylum seekers" (and that'll be just for starters). Not so long back she was saying labour got it wrong on immigration & now she's crapping on the same doorstep again!

Unbelievable! Stupid woman.
Barrie Yates and maxthecollie like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 23:56   #50
Super Moderator

Jeremy's view on the present refugee crisis. Personally, I think he makes some fair points, but that's the bleeding heart liberal in me. I very much doubt that his fan club on here would agree.
Our leaders lack courage in this refugee crisis. We are shamed by our European neighbours - Voices - The Independent
Old 04-09-2015, 15:27   #51
Beacon of light

The article is right in the observation that our leaders lack courage, but they also lack foresight too.
As for being shamed by other European countries, how can this be so...we give more money than any of these European countries....that fact that it is not making a difference is down to how it is being used(or abused).
Refugees who think that they can storm trains, camp outside Railway stations because they do now wish to go to the countries which will take them (preferring to go to a country of their choice), show that they do not respect rules.
True refugees should claim asylum in the country where they first land...not want to make off to a country where they feel they will be more prosperous.

The picture of the little children who were drowned is tragic, but their parents put them in this position.(and the media are using these pictures to elicit an emotional response...a bit of emotional blackmail)....I do not feel in any way responsible for these people......and I am suspicious of where they come from...any one of them could in the future turn upon the country they have adopted and blow it to smithereens.

Maybe there will be those who consider this response heartless and cruel...but what we cannot give to our own needy, we cannot give to the worlds needy.
We cannot take in all the waifs and strays of the world.
Already I feel a stranger in my own land. I walked from my mothers today and along the way passed six or seven people...none of whom were speaking English.
This is not racism or xenophobia, I am just stating a non PC fact.
Guinness, yerself, cashman and 4 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 17:45   #52
Senior Member+

Very true words Margaret.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 18:00   #53
Beacon of light

Thank you Frank....I was expecting lots of the red stuff.

I do not think we can afford to led by our emotions on this issue.
What really needs to be done is stabilisation of the situation by stopping these migrants before they reach other countries. There needs to be a military presence off the coasts of departure......the boats have to be turned back before anymore unfortunate children are drowned, the people who exploit these unfortunate people at the tune of 2000 euro per person need to be caught......the unsafe boats that they are using need to be holed and put right out of action.
The money that is being given by the british government(ie...our money) needs to be spent on refugee camps with better facilities....it is no paltry sum...it is 1 billion pounds.
If it had not been for lily livered politicians and the short sighted EU and the Schengen agreement, then the situation would not be what it is.
If these so called refugees cannot accept that there have to be rules, it is unlikely that they will want to abide by the rules in whatever country they end up in.......they expect the rules to be fashioned to accommodate their needs and desires, and we have seen where that leads.

Accept more refugees and more will set sail knowing that they will be taken in.......and where do you draw the line?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 22:07   #54

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Jeremy's view on the present refugee crisis. Personally, I think he makes some fair points, but that's the bleeding heart liberal in me. I very much doubt that his fan club on here would agree.
Our leaders lack courage in this refugee crisis. We are shamed by our European neighbours - Voices - The Independent
Weird ain’t it….that a few days after a heart rending photograph…Cameron is now doing exactly what ‘Jeremy’ is banging on about in the piece that you quote…because, suddenly, it’s no longer ultra left wing rhetoric, it’s political expediency.

Then again Cameron is kinda screwed here, because his ‘austerity’ and ‘big society’ policies, which have seen a 40% cut in county council budgets with another 40% scheduled by 2020, (that’s £2 to spend on the aged, disabled, sick and needy where there used to be £10). Where our councils are battling with our NHS over who should fund those in need because of funding cuts and unrealistic targets. All of which has left our social infrastructure totally unable to deal with a further influx of people demanding services and jobs…

But hey..this is the Prime Minister who promotes the guy who claims for moat cleaning on his (tax payer paid) expenses to the House of Lords (on a £300 a day plus expenses wage).

For every stupid or unsavoury thing that you can dredge up damning Corbyn, I can double with Cameron and his cronies, when you ask about his policies, I can point you to lack of policy and broken pledges from this government…unfortunately I don’t have the readership of the Tory loving media

Last edited by Guinness; 04-09-2015 at 22:14.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 22:31   #55

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Meanwhile our 'labour' MP takes photos of clouds on Hambledon Hill and complains about online betting sites *sigh*
Old 04-09-2015, 23:12   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Weird ain’t it….that a few days after a heart rending photograph…Cameron is now doing exactly what ‘Jeremy’ is banging on about in the piece that you quote…because, suddenly, it’s no longer ultra left wing rhetoric, it’s political expediency.

Then again Cameron is kinda screwed here, because his ‘austerity’ and ‘big society’ policies, which have seen a 40% cut in county council budgets with another 40% scheduled by 2020, (that’s £2 to spend on the aged, disabled, sick and needy where there used to be £10). Where our councils are battling with our NHS over who should fund those in need because of funding cuts and unrealistic targets. All of which has left our social infrastructure totally unable to deal with a further influx of people demanding services and jobs…

But hey..this is the Prime Minister who promotes the guy who claims for moat cleaning on his (tax payer paid) expenses to the House of Lords (on a £300 a day plus expenses wage).

For every stupid or unsavoury thing that you can dredge up damning Corbyn, I can double with Cameron and his cronies, when you ask about his policies, I can point you to lack of policy and broken pledges from this government…unfortunately I don’t have the readership of the Tory loving media
Quite right, and if Corbin is elected Labour leader, Cameron and his cronies are going to have the freedom to carry right on with their "lack of policy and broken pledges", for at least the next ten years because there's no way Labour are going to achieve power in 2020 with Corbin at the helm. By 2025, it'll probably be too late anyway, the NHS and the welfare state will have been largely dismantled and there'll be very little left to save. The Labour party really needs to wake up and smell the coffee by coming up with a potential leader who's electable. Alan Johnson would be my choice, but if doesn't want to, who knows?
Old 05-09-2015, 07:11   #57
JCB

A poet , she was born in Kenya in 1988 to Somali parents, Warsan Shire was raised and still lives in London......this is one of her poems......

no one leaves home unless
home is the mouth of a shark
you only run for the border
when you see the whole city running as well

your neighbours running faster than you
breath bloody in their throats
the boy you went to school with
who kissed you dizzy behind the old tin factory
is holding a gun bigger than his body
you only leave home
when home won’t let you stay.

no one leaves home unless home chases you
fire under feet
hot blood in your belly
it’s not something you ever thought of doing
until the blade burnt threats into
your neck
and even then you carried the anthem under
your breath
only tearing up your passport in an airport toilets
sobbing as each mouthful of paper
made it clear that you wouldn’t be going back.

you have to understand,
that no one puts their children in a boat
unless the water is safer than the land
no one burns their palms
under trains
beneath carriages
no one spends days and nights in the stomach of a truck
feeding on newspaper unless the miles travelled
means something more than journey.
no one crawls under fences
no one wants to be beaten
pitied

no one chooses refugee camps
or strip searches where your
body is left aching
or prison,
because prison is safer
than a city of fire
and one prison guard
in the night
is better than a truckload
of men who look like your father
no one could take it
no one could stomach it
no one skin would be tough enough

the
go home blacks
refugees
dirty immigrants
asylum seekers
sucking our country dry
niggers with their hands out
they smell strange
savage
messed up their country and now they want
to mess ours up
how do the words
the dirty looks
roll off your backs
maybe because the blow is softer
than a limb torn off

or the words are more tender
than fourteen men between
your legs
or the insults are easier
to swallow
than rubble
than bone
than your child body
in pieces.
i want to go home,
but home is the mouth of a shark
home is the barrel of the gun
and no one would leave home
unless home chased you to the shore
unless home told you
to quicken your legs
leave your clothes behind
crawl through the desert
wade through the oceans
drown
save
be hunger
beg
forget pride
your survival is more important

no one leaves home until home is a sweaty voice in your ear
saying-
leave,
run away from me now
i dont know what i’ve become
but i know that anywhere
is safer than here
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:08   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
A poet , she was born in Kenya in 1988 to Somali parents, Warsan Shire was raised and still lives in London....
Kenya has been independent since Dec 1963, so the wicked English can't be blamed for her "persecution" on this one. Added to that, she was raised in & around London, so how much actual experience does she have of the tribulations she's espousing?

I'm sorry mate, but my sympathy mode has been jerked around & pished about with so much, that my empathy levels are flat lining for the worlds poor, needy & desperate.

That aside, getting back to Corbyn, he may be popular with those of a certain leaning, but in the end it's same old, same old, tedious self serving politicoes looking out for themselves.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:22   #59
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

That aside, getting back to Corbyn, he may be popular with those of a certain leaning, but in the end it's same old, same old, tedious self serving politicoes looking out for themselves.
So Jeremy Corbyn is a same old , tedious , self-serving politico looking out for himself ?

So were there ever any politicians who were not the same , old , tedious , self-serving politicoes looking out for themselves ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:01   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

So were there ever any politicians who were not the same , old , tedious , self-serving politicoes looking out for themselves ?
Yep i could name some n no doubt you could, few n far between,granted, but many people, including me, get to a stage were they can all get stuffed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..