Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2016, 17:05   #361
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Labour Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There are moderates in all parties Less, but the really right wing and left wing of any party are not usually what the electorate choose to follow.
The Labour Party was irreparably damaged by Tony Blair. The moves to make it different have not improved its appeal.
Another thing is that people have become disaffected with politics in general(I am one of these disaffected....I really struggle to find anything that I can identify with in the major parties....This is because they have become too similar).
Politicians have treated the electorate in an appalling way. In many ways this might have something to do with them seeing themselves as our 'betters' rather than our equals.....and our servants.
Too many of them have little experience of actually working for a living. They have no experience of real life. They are career politicians. In it for the money rather than making a difference to the lives of ordinary folk.
Jeremy Corbyn may be a man of principles, but he is still from a very privileged background.
I can consider myself a 'moderate' in my views on life, politics and race, however I often meet other 'moderates' that don't share my point of view conflict begins when either I, or they, insist that our own 'moderate' points of view are the ones everyone else should follow.
That, is extreme, none of us are either right or wrong all the time, but the evangelistic fury used by some 'moderates' should be viewed with suspicion (by at least 95% of us).

Last edited by Less; 24-09-2016 at 17:08.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2016, 17:08   #362
Beacon of light

Less that is because being a ' moderate' is very subjective.
The term means different things to different people......it is very elastic, but not quite 'a one size fits all'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 17:22   #363

Quote:
Less that is because being a ' moderate' is very subjective.
The term means different things to different people......it is very elastic, but not quite 'a one size fits all'.
Thus & a touch of therefore you are agreeing with my earlier statement, no such thing as a moderate.
Making several of your recent posts, irrelevant?

Good job I've got my moderate head on otherwise who knows what arguments we could have had.
Old 24-09-2016, 17:29   #364
Beacon of light

No Less, I don't argue with you.....we have a productive discussion of ideas.
Old 24-09-2016, 17:35   #365

Quote:
Wow that's a bit of an extreme statement!

Are you sure you're a 'moderate'?
Old 24-09-2016, 17:43   #366

Quote:
By the way, I did state arguments we could have had, not arguments we are having.
Old 24-09-2016, 17:46   #367
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Wow that's a bit of an extreme statement!

Are you sure you're a 'moderate'?
I'm not sure Less.(perhaps I'm not moderate after all) There will be someone out there who will let me know.
Old 24-09-2016, 17:54   #368
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
By the way, I did state arguments we could have had, not arguments we are having.
It is not an argument....just a discussion.....and it wouldn't be a argument we could have had, but a discussion we could have had.

Maybe I am moderate after all, as I am happy to listen to your views, even if they do not exactly match mine. I respect your right to have those views.
Old 24-09-2016, 18:14   #369
Senior Member+

I had a letter a few weeks ago from the Union of which I am a member.
It advised me to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.
I have a mind of my own and didn't like being almost told who to vote for.
I have been a member of the same branch since 1970 and chairman for twenty years until I retired.
Today I cancelled my membership.
Old 24-09-2016, 22:34   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have been a member of the same branch since 1970 and chairman for twenty years until I retired.
Good for you mate, you obviously know your own mind!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 02:55   #371
Super Moderator

Cheeky sods. Who the hell are they to start dispensing "advice" as if their members are children who have to be guided in the right direction? Not surprised you resigned.
Less and Gremlin like this.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:11   #372
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Understand why yeh quit, but this sorta thing is nothing new,I recall many many years ago getting a similar letter advising me to vote for a certain Trade Union Leader,which annoyed me greatly no question,i decided after thought to remain and ignore this advice,cos end of the day i represented the lads at work, not the big guns, its a pity those scumbag M.P.s that dont believe in democracy dont do the same and sod off into the nether.
Old 25-09-2016, 09:33   #373
Beacon of light

So are those MP's who were so scathing about the leader now getting in line to follow him...or are they still defiant......or is it too early to say what the turncoats will do???

Would you trust a bunch of MP's who had stabbed you in the back, the front, and the sides?

As to the unions telling you who to vote for in such an election...this has always gone on.
Some folk would be daft enough to follow thatdirective. I would vote for who I wanted and tell the union to mind their own beeswax.
Old 25-09-2016, 10:11   #374
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
So are those MP's who were so scathing about the leader now getting in line to follow him...or are they still defiant......or is it too early to say what the turncoats will do???

Would you trust a bunch of MP's who had stabbed you in the back, the front, and the sides?

As to the unions telling you who to vote for in such an election...this has always gone on.
Some folk would be daft enough to follow thatdirective. I would vote for who I wanted and tell the union to mind their own beeswax.
Personally i wouldn't trust em. but to me thats for their local parties to decide after all they are the people that selected em, i'm well aware in unions its always gone on, thats exactly my point, i decided to remain,very annoyed as i was, cos of the good lads i worked with.
Old 25-09-2016, 15:44   #375

I stopped paying into a union back in the 70's which was the, Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunications and Plumbing Union, I paid I attended meetings, then they came up with this marvellous idea, electronics is the future so, any electrician wanting a free course to gain qualifications in electronics could apply.

I suggested that as the electricians were getting a free course could I and other electronics engineers have a free course to gain the qualifications to do the electricians work?

We'll get back to you, was the reply.

A month later I was told there aren't enough electronics engineers to warrant me gaining such qualifications within the union, I argued the point that we are all equal we all pay in the same amount, whats good for one must surely be good for another?
Nope, not enough of you, there will be even less of us if the electricians are given a free ride to qualifications, how can my union, be prejudiced against my livelihood?
Ah well a sign of the times was the reply, that was the last time I paid into a union or attended a meeting.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..