Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2016, 20:51   #46
JCB

Re: Labour Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Unfortunately yeh may be right on the mark wi that JCB Mind even though i never voted for him A.Davidson i didn't find a bad bloke at all. and he wasn't a local chap either.
Arthur Davidson was our Labour MP (1966-1983) , Cashman .

He was a barrister , and I know quite a few in Accrington who benefited from his skills as a barrister/MP .

He cut his political teeth working for Bessie Braddock in Liverpool .

Last time I saw him he was in the Willow Mount with Greg Pope who was putting up for election .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2016, 20:53   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Arthur Davidson was our Labour MP (1966-1983) , Cashman .

He was a barrister , and I know quite a few in Accrington who benefited from his skills as a barrister/MP .

He cut his political teeth working for Bessie Braddock in Liverpool .

Last time I saw him he was in the Willow Mount with Greg Pope who was putting up for election .
Yeh i know mate, i was part of a small deputation that went down the commons to lobby him, early 70s, found him a top geezer. he actually did take a bit of notice of his constituents.
JCB likes this.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:47   #48

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Our Graham has come in for some flak on twitter after claiming that Corbyn supporters were a mob...the young, pensioners, foster carers, his own constituents to name a few have been hammering him.

Of course he's claimed that he has a mandate of 9.5million voters (he loves to quote those two digits doesn't he?) whilst Corbyn only had a couple of hundred thousand.

Can I just say that using his logic he shouldn't even be in parliament because 57.9% of votes in Hyndburn were not for him

I got a hashtag for him

#Embarrassment
cashman likes this.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:59   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

He has brought it on himself, never supporting Corbyn and ignoring the Labour grass roots, also using his logic from his twitter comments, he dont know the meaning of Democracy not Corbyn.
Old 01-07-2016, 16:51   #50

Hi, I'm a local Labour party member and supporter of Jeremy Corbryn. I've just this afternoon been reading through this thread and your interesting discussion. It occurred to me that actually many people have only seen Jeremy through the lens of the Main Stream Media (MSM) which in my opinion is toxic towards people who speak out against the established political status quo. To put it mildly, if Jeremy mentioned he was looking forward to Christmas the MSM would headline as "Jeremy Corbryn Still Believes In Santa" and when they say he's unelectable what they mean is "he cant be bought". I've posted a link to a video of Jeremy that I think portrays him as he truly is and hope you take the time to watch it.

Very best wishes

Laa
cashman and JCB like this.
Laatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 17:56   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Our own M.P. should watch this, then go join the Tory party, were really he belongs,
JCB, Alan Varrechia and Laatab like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 18:33   #52
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laatab View Post
Hi, I'm a local Labour party member and supporter of Jeremy Corbryn. I've just this afternoon been reading through this thread and your interesting discussion. It occurred to me that actually many people have only seen Jeremy through the lens of the Main Stream Media (MSM) which in my opinion is toxic towards people who speak out against the established political status quo. To put it mildly, if Jeremy mentioned he was looking forward to Christmas the MSM would headline as "Jeremy Corbryn Still Believes In Santa" and when they say he's unelectable what they mean is "he cant be bought". I've posted a link to a video of Jeremy that I think portrays him as he truly is and hope you take the time to watch it.

Very best wishes

Laa
Please explain, at which point should I forgive him?

When he became 'the leader', I thought, at last back to grassroots, then (it's a big then), he lost me and several other ex supporters of the labour party by saying let's stay in. I would have followed him anywhere until his coat turned against all he had said, now he has proved himself to be nothing more than a politician, had he stuck to being out he perhaps could be the P.M. next time around, as it is, I want a P.M. of any party that will truly support the U.K. before all else.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 18:57   #53
Beacon of light

So he can't be bought.....but he can be turned.
He was never ever a supporter of the EU......and yet he was supposed to be leading the remain group of the Labour Party......he did this against his principles and it showed.
All the political parties are guilty of ignoring the views and concerns of the electorate.
The Labour Party presided over uncontrolled immigration in an aim to extend the voting base.....what a cynical ploy....and it has affected the fabric of this country, it has been one of the reasons why dyed in the wool supporters gave up on the party.

there has been a feeling in the country of political apathy.
Politicians have constantly lied to the electorate(all parties are guilty of this)....they have promised things in order to get votes and then done what they thought was best for us.
I don't believe everything I read in the papers, but I do know that Jeremy Corbyn has not been good for the Labour Party (he is not an effective leader....he can't keep his own MP's in line)and has not provided an effective opposition.
Less and hilleluk like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-07-2016 at 19:00.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 19:23   #54
Beacon of light

As for the video...all he is doing is parroting politician speak(it wasn't our fault your honour).
He is chewing over what has been chewed over many times in the past and spat out as being pap.
The Labour party were in power for a damn long time...did they make life better for the ordinary man in the street?
The presided over the unmitigated disaster that was open door immigration( they did not listen to the concerns of the electorate),they spent money they did not have, they increased the dependence of those on welfare(I guess they figured that if someone was on benefits they were likely to vote for those that gave them those benefits).
Tony Blair said something like 'tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime'.....they tried to bamboozle the electorate into thinking this strategy worked when all they had actually done was fudge the statistics(changing the way crimes were reported made it look as though crime had fallen).
So when the coalition government came to power there was a joke left in a Palace of Westmisnster drawer...it said 'there is no money'.......some joke that was.
It could be argued that no -one could make a worse fist of it than Ed Milliband...yet Jeremy Corbyn has. He has not united the Labour Party...in fact he has probably done more damage than any other politician I can bring to mind.
Ah, you say it isn't him...it is his unsupportive MP's.
A leader should have the wherewithal to bring MP's in the party into line.......he has been unable to get the majority of the MP's on his side.......and I know that in a general election it isn't the MP's who are voting...it is the electorate...but would you have confidence to elect a leader who cannot keep his own Mp's in order?
Because I surely could not!
Less and hilleluk like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-07-2016 at 19:25.
Old 01-07-2016, 19:53   #55

Wow!
Old 01-07-2016, 19:55   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The majority of M.P.s were never behind corbyn from the start, the reason being he spoke up for the working people, like Labour was supposed to do, ok i say he aint done a good job, but please explain how anyone can bring torys in labour clothing into line, by going against him yer going against all Labour ever used to stand for imho. siding with the vipers and the London based media is very sad imho.
hilleluk and Laatab like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 20:05   #57
Beacon of light

I really don't know Cashy, but leaders have to be capable of leading.....they have to have the gravitas that underlines their authority......and he hasn't got that skill.

If you know that you have taken on something which is far bigger than you have the ability to cope with then you do the moral thing and make way for someone who can do what you can't.

It may seem like betraying those Labour Party members which voted him into this post, but surely that is better than watching the party implode......with all the consequences that such an action has.
His holding on, makes the party unelectable. It makes it look ridiculous.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 01-07-2016, 20:27   #58

We have often talked on here about how M.P.s of any party tow the line rather than look to what their constituents desire them to do.
Maybe we should start our own group, (notice, not party) a group that is prepared to welcome folk from any background that are prepared to listen to all members of the U.K. prepared to stand for us all before any form of party allegiances, a group that supports the people, to move us all forward no matter which way we voted in the referendum, a group able to say this is what the people we represent wants therefore this is what we will support.
No longer voting in one direction because a parties leaders say you must or else.
Yes I know, it won't happen but a

A group for the United Kingdom before all others, however allowing all others ie all across the channel to work just as hard for their own way of life without them ruining ours.
KiTChener and hilleluk like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 20:59   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I really don't know Cashy, but leaders have to be capable of leading.....they have to have the gravitas that underlines their authority......and he hasn't got that skill.

If you know that you have taken on something which is far bigger than you have the ability to cope with then you do the moral thing and make way for someone who can do what you can't.

It may seem like betraying those Labour Party members which voted him into this post, but surely that is better than watching the party implode......with all the consequences that such an action has.
His holding on, makes the party unelectable. It makes it look ridiculous.
Whats ridiculous to me is Corbyn was democratically elected and the simple fact these VIPERS would not accept the fact, I honestly think that fact he would be accepted is beyond question, the fact he was from the left of the party, the left who always looked towards the ordinary people is unacceptable to scum like them, the vested interests of Vipers has come first, it seems to me people are not grasping that fact, the grass roots voted him in i believe NOT because of what the London Based press said, but cos ordinary people were sick to the back teeth of em, personally i would rather Labour be un-electable than this scum represent me.
Laatab likes this.
Old 01-07-2016, 21:34   #60

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

There is some real tripe being posted here..

Tony Blair did NOT represent grass roots labour supporters. He's a damn war criminal, so is Jack Straw who our own MP constantly retweets becauseof his anti Corbyn stance.

Isn't it a national trait of the English to stand up against bullies, no matter how many of them there are? Isn't that what Corbyn is doing? Standing up to the 172 'jobs for the boys labour MP's' who are now quaking in their boots and dithering over asking for another leadership election, in case they end up with egg on their face.

Corbyn has not made a fist of anything...he's done no different than our own MP who is on record as stating 'I'm voting remain, but I really want to leave', neither did I see the Jones boy out campaigning on the streets for remain....funny I don't see anyone in the national media or the PLP calling for his head

People on this site have been calling for an overhaul of political parties for years..this is a chance to stick it to people like Jones who put their own career above the people who voted him in
Laatab likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..