Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2009, 21:55   #166
God Member

Re: Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
I wouldnt brag about learning somthing from the EU lol

isnt it them lot that demanded bannas not be aloowed to be sold if too curved or somthing ?
We are part of 'them lot'...

Wasn't the banana issue something to do with identifying where bananas originated from and something about import tax?

Anyway, it was in jest that I mentioned that the EU taught me that. I'm studying a lot of it at the moment and it amuses me when I see an opportunity to throw it into real life. The EU does a great lot of good though. I'd never be able to say otherwise after studying it. Plus I have a job thanks to the EU at the moment. No bad things about the EU come out of my mouth. Not often anyway.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2009, 22:23   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Disrepair is already regulated by the law as well, so it'd perhaps be better that either this was made even tighter or it was actually enforced better.
The problem in Hyndburn is that there is no will by the controlling group
for enforcement. There is one landlord, who owns many properties in Hyndburn, many in a bad state of repair and on the list of 'blighted sites' who should be prosecuted by HBC but isn't. if he was prosecuted it might send out a message that delibrately leaving a property in a bad condition will no longer be tolerated.

Last edited by claytonender; 22-08-2009 at 22:24. Reason: Spelling
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 03:06   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
The problem in Hyndburn is that there is no will by the controlling group
for enforcement. There is one landlord, who owns many properties in Hyndburn, many in a bad state of repair and on the list of 'blighted sites' who should be prosecuted by HBC but isn't. if he was prosecuted it might send out a message that delibrately leaving a property in a bad condition will no longer be tolerated.
Realistically, there just is no incentive for anyone accrington to care what happens to the people in it. Where is the hope for people from Accrington? Where is the goal that is to be achieved?

I remember on my 20th birthday thinking 'I will never be a teenage mother now' with relief. Not because it's a bad thing necessarily, or because I think it's a disgrace or anything like that, but because I just wanted to try for something more. But I have to admit that it's hard to be optimistic, particularly in this climate. I've no idea what I will do when my degree is over. Do I take out a loan for £10,000 for the LPC, and more for living costs, or do I continue studying, or do I go to a completely different profession altogether.

There are no guarantees of anything, but I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are no real opportunities in Accrington, certainly not without qualifications behind you, and then there comes the question of why stay in Accrington when you can take your skills and knowledge elsewhere? Somewhere where there IS community spirit and there are shops and bustling streets that are alive.

I love Accrington, I love Oswaldtwistle even more and I never fail to mention the pear drop to every new person I meet. And Accy bricks... but I can't help feeling sad when I think of how much I can't stand being there and seeing so much potential being wasted on a lack of dreams and ambition.

And those dreams and ambitions HAVE to start with the council, because if they have no hope then why should anyone else? I'd love to be a part of that change, but I really don't think I have the strength to turn around all that apathy by myself when there are people in other places who are willing to change things. The people of Lancaster have been campaigning against developments in Lancaster that they feel will threaten their local independent businesses and their communities. They spend all day stood outside sharing their passion for lancaster with people and encouraging people to be a part of the voice.

I've never seen that in Accrington. It badly needs that. I think those that HAVE tried though have lost their voices amidst the apathy though. And unless the younger people decide to make a change, it'll soon be too late to reverse the damage.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:15   #169
God Member

Quote:
There are no guarantees of anything, but I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are no real opportunities in Accrington, certainly not without qualifications behind you,
Given the expertise and experience with which you post looks like everyone might as well clear off, last one out please turn off the lights.
Old 24-08-2009, 03:34   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Given the expertise and experience with which you post looks like everyone might as well clear off, last one out please turn off the lights.
I've actually had quite a number of jobs in Accrington and Blackburn as I used to work for a temping agency whilst I was at college.

I also have a great number of friends who are struggling to find jobs and several who have been made redundant.

I have to laugh though, one of my friends was complaining the other day about going for a job that had 30 other applicants going for it and all I could think of was the fact that graduate jobs have hundreds all over the country trying for them.

Not to mention I have two jobs at the moment whilst I study full time.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. What actually happens when a town does just become a deterrent to business and people have no jobs? Do people actually leave, or do they stay and suffer?

Accy town centre seems to have less people around than what I remember when I was younger. Are people moving to other places, or are they just shopping further afield? Or not going out at all?

I guess that would be a question for the ethnomethodologists.
Old 24-08-2009, 18:02   #171
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Not to mention I have two jobs at the moment whilst I study full time.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. What actually happens when a town does just become a deterrent to business and people have no jobs? Do people actually leave, or do they stay and suffer?
1. Are you trying to put the polish job stealers out of work.

2. Have a look at the mining towns that Thatcher closed down for an answer to your question.

Good post Blazey.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 20:54   #172
God Member

Quote:
It's not difficult to live in one town and work in a diiferent one

Are you referring to Accrington when talking about a town becoming a deterrent to business ?
Old 25-08-2009, 16:10   #173
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
1. Are you trying to put the polish job stealers out of work.

2. Have a look at the mining towns that Thatcher closed down for an answer to your question.

Good post Blazey.
Well, businesses failing isn't what ruins a town. Loss of community spirit does. In Lancaster there is a lovely town called Dolphinholme that used to be a mill town, but the mills closed and yet the place is beautiful. It attracts academics to its cottages and is a really nice place to go to.

And I only have jobs that are available to students so no Polish workers can have mine, but I did once refuse to take a job after the interviewer made remarks about me being the only british person to have applied. Judging the other interview candidates waiting in the job centre with me, they were older than me and probably would have appreciated the job much more. I don't care where they are from. I don't see why I should be offered a job on such narrow-minded reasoning. I knew it hadn't been a brilliant interview and yet I knew I was going to be offered the job. All she'd wanted to do was chat to me and not really ask me much about the job. It was a cleaning job by the way.

No, I'm happy with what I've got. I've applied for another job during term-time as one of my current jobs will end in a few weeks, so I'll hope I get it.

I think I've discovered the difference between Dolphinholme and other mining towns though... BBC NEWS | UK | England | Mining towns hit hard by heroin

Maybe it's a case of how much you feel sorry for yourself?

Also, in response to the question about going out of town to work, yes, obviously I know you can, I've done it myself, but when I speak to people my age they seem very unwilling to do this. They'd either hold out for a chance in Accrington or move away completely. I don't really understand it?! With a few of them I think the main problem is that they can't drive and public transport links aren't really that brilliant or reliable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..