Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2011, 20:24   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Lap Dance Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

If they bring money and jobs to the town, good luck to them.

But I'm afraid I won't be investing with them.
agree wi those two comments, also the detours,etc, as fer if its seen morally by anne, no idea, but does come across to me as a real moaning minny.
Old 18-09-2011, 20:35   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree wi those two comments, also the detours,etc, as fer if its seen morally by anne, no idea, but does come across to me as a real moaning minny.
I'm not a moaning minny at all, much more a grumpy old woman! I'm obviously portraying the wrong message, I would just like to see Accrington doing well and not going downhill as it seems to be doing, nothing more, and I can't see a lap dancing club taking it any more upmarket whatever the increase in employment (temporarily) might be!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 20:38   #108
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I'm not a moaning minny at all, much more a grumpy old woman! I'm obviously portraying the wrong message, I would just like to see Accrington doing well and not going downhill as it seems to be doing, nothing more, and I can't see a lap dancing club taking it any more upmarket whatever the increase in employment (temporarily) might be!
Quite right - Accy should be more upmarket. How about a Hooters bar?
Old 18-09-2011, 20:43   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Hate to disillusion you, but we're never going to be Stow-on-the-Wold.

You have to work with the demographics you're dealt.

I'm sure market forces would already have established chi-chi restaurants and wine bars, if such businesses were seen as economically viable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 20:43   #110

I give up, I'll stay out of the town centre and leave it to the riff raff with the lap dancers, hooters and whatever else!
Old 18-09-2011, 20:49   #111
Give, give, give member

Quote:
not going downhill as it seems to be doing, nothing more, and I can't see a lap dancing club taking it any more upmarket whatever the increase in employment (temporarily) might be!
'Downhill' is the countless empty properties in Accrington, and never ending list of local businesses closing down.

If this new business succeeds, paying tax into our council's coffers, and providing jobs for local people...good.

Old 18-09-2011, 20:53   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I give up, I'll stay out of the town centre and leave it to the riff raff with the lap dancers, hooters and whatever else!
God loves a tryer.

You're obviously not one.

Prefer to give in.

Moan people aren't giving their opinion, then throw a hissy, when people don't happen to share your own view.

Perseverance is a virtue.

Old 18-09-2011, 20:59   #113
Give, give, give member

Quote:

riff·raff (rfrf)n.
1. People regarded as disreputable or worthless.
2. Rubbish; trash

Care to expand on this description?

Perhaps you could explain how we differ from the folks in your own hometown, Blackburn?

Old 18-09-2011, 20:59   #114

Quote:
'Downhill' is the countless empty properties in Accrington, and never ending list of local businesses closing down.

If this new business succeeds, paying tax into our council's coffers, and providing jobs for local people...good.
I do agree with you, but perhaps the council should be making more effort to drum up more culturally acceptable custom - of course sex will always sell, but does it pay in the long run when only appealing to a particular section of the community? And also in the long run will it bring in more custom when as I said previously it is being done far better than some seedy backwater club above a restaurant in a small downmarket town in East Lancashire?
Old 18-09-2011, 21:06   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I do agree with you, but perhaps the council should be making more effort to drum up more culturally acceptable custom
Culturally acceptable to whom?

Sex has been important in every culture, both socially and economically, since monkeys decided to wear clothes.

I've worked in the centre of economically buoyant cities which have had these clubs, and never heard of any problems they have caused.

Your argument doesn't wash.

Old 18-09-2011, 21:08   #116
Beacon of light

Quote:
So what would be your prescription for getting Accrington up and running then?
I am sure people would be very glad to hear of your suggestions. You could even enlighten HBC so they know just who to allow into town to trade.

Many industrial towns in the North West are suffering the same fate.
There is a lack of investment because nobody has much money to invest.......No-one is spending, incase they don't have a job tomorrow.

I don't know if you have looked around lately but all the boozers are shutting up shop.......changing to Indian Restaurants(how many indian restaurants can a town support)...lots of shops are empty...and the ones who are doing the most business are either charity shops or cut price stores(pound shops).
You don't need shops selling posh frocks when there is nowhere to go to wear your posh frock.

Wetherspoons and the meander in the thread came up because Wetherspoons was likened to the Lap dancing venue....so it wasn't a major thread wander....it was still about establishments that are in the town centre......that bring in trade.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:10   #117
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do agree with you, but perhaps the council should be making more effort to drum up more culturally acceptable custom - of course sex will always sell, but does it pay in the long run when only appealing to a particular section of the community? And also in the long run will it bring in more custom when as I said previously it is being done far better than some seedy backwater club above a restaurant in a small downmarket town in East Lancashire?
Who decides what is and what isn't "culturally acceptable"? Why shouldn't something pay if it only appeals to one section of the community? Know your market and go for it is a tried-and-tested commercial principle.

You're not in league with that Godbothering bloke, are you?
Old 18-09-2011, 21:12   #118
Beacon of light

Do you mean Kev the Rev?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:13   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Your argument doesn't wash.
In fact your argument is pish poor.

You'd prefer something else.

Something more 'culturally acceptable', 'less down market', but haven't said what.

If you object to this business opening because you think it's immoral, at least have the guts to say so, instead of coming out with all this guff about riff-raff etc.

Old 18-09-2011, 21:13   #120
Super Moderator

Yep, that's the feller, Margaret.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..