Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 15:53   #1
Senior Member+

Laser Eye Treatment

Has anyone on here apart from entwisi had laser eye treatment? I had it done yesterday and cannot believe the results.

I went to bed for a couple of hours when I got home, got up at 6.30pm and could see, it's amazing, I would recommnd it to anyone.
buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 16:30   #2
I am Banned

Re: Laser Eye Treatment

thanx for the tip i will pass it on to my mate hes been having trouble with his glass eye lately

ok seriously my friend had it done and was impressed with the results i guess the idea of lazers in the eye scares some people away from having it done but from those i hear have had it done they all notice a great improvement

Last edited by Mick; 07-09-2005 at 16:38.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:26   #3
God Member

I'm slightly short sighted and wear contact lenses, I had considered laser but was advised not to unless my eyes deteriorate, would be interested to know the procedure, cost etc though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:48   #4
God Member

There are two main procedures. EPI LASEK and LASIK. The former involves the laser reshaping the ouside of your cornea to correct your vision. This is the cheapest (~£5-600/eye) but has the longest recovery time ~1 week and most discomfort. The LASIK procedure involves a machine cutting a thin slice from the front of the cornea. This flap is lifted and the laser burns the exposed surface. The flap is then repositioned. This has a very quick recovery time and the least discomfort. the procedure takes 15 minutes all in to do both eyes, the laser burning for approx 30-40 seconds only. There is no pain involved but is a 'bit weird'. You go home and go to bed. Wake up 2-3 hours later and you will be able to see. It gets better over the next 3-12 months but you will normally have good enough vision to drive the day after. LASIK costs ~£850 an eye. I have some vouchers for ~£500 off if you have both eyes done.

I would recommend it quite happily. Mine was done ~12 months ago and my vision is now 6-4 or 120% of 20/20.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:57   #5
God Member

Thanks for that Ian, I'm soo squeamish when it comes to eyes, the latter soundsthe best option to me but like I said I've been advised to wait, its good to know people who've had it done though.
Old 07-09-2005, 19:00   #6
God Member

Who advised you to wait? No offence but could it be that your optician is hoping to tie a deal up with one of the clinics and is hoping o get a slice of the fee? What prescription do you have? Try giving optimax a call and asking them what they think? After all they have done well over 100K people now so they should know what they are doing.

Ian
Old 07-09-2005, 19:13   #7
God Member

My optician has some involvement with the surgery I think, he didn't try to sell it though my prescription is only 1.25 both eyes and he felt that as I get older it may correct slightly as most people become long sighted, if that makes any sense, also I did sign up for monthly lenses
Old 07-09-2005, 19:42   #8
God Member

I have an imbalence but would only consider laser treatment if it became worse. Though people I work with have had it and would recomend it even with the high cost.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 20:01   #9
God Member

High cost? Working on ~£100 for a decent pair of glasses + another £70-100 for a set of prescription glasses or £150/year for lenses +again a set of prescription sunglasses and a set of normal sunglasses I reckon payback is less than 5 years.(I was lucky and got both eyes done for £850). Plus stuff liek not messing with glasses with my bike helmet or when playing squash or steaming up when walking into pubs etc make it far more convenient. Even stuff like getting a glass of water during the night is far less hassle when you don't have to find glasses etc to get to the tap.

I remarked to Julie how it is amazing that something that 100 years ago would have made our life unbearable can now be sorted for less than a months salary.
Old 07-09-2005, 20:26   #10
God Member

Your right there Ian, its cost me around £170 per year for my lenses, also I have a pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses, this year alone I've spent over £300, so payback for the laser wouldn't take that long.
Old 07-09-2005, 20:31   #11
Resident Waffler

In spite of the fact that I hate glasses sliding down my nose in the summer whe it's hot I still haven't got the nerve to look into if it's feasable for me. I've got glaucoma too and going for check-ups is a major drama. I hate anybody poking about in my eyes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 20:46   #12
I am Banned

i have had the natural lense in my right eye removed, and a replacement lense inserted. this is done under a local anesthetic via drops in your eye. they then use micro surgery and remove the natural lense via a small cut to the centre of your eye. the replacement is then inserted and thats it. drops 4 times a day for a month and your eye heals. totally painless.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14   #13
God Member

They even do implantable contact lenses for those with really bad eyesight. Eddie teh Eagle hasnow got rid of his trademark glasses this way. Its amazing really.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..