Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2012, 06:34   #751
Beacon of light

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well Margaret according to this page there are 500 Paracetomol related deaths in England and Wales per year...

Impact of paracetamol pack size restrictions on poisoning from paracetamol in England and Wales: an observational study

There are probably less than 30 deaths linked to MDMA or Ecstasy - which in many cases today is not MDMA but cut with other more harmful drugs for reasons relating to the fact it is illegal!

Also people do become alcoholics and can attack and kill relatives, rob relatives and that is with a legal drug - alcohol. Gambling is legal and likewise people do crimes to support gambling habits.
And where did I say that paracetamol did not kill people?
It has long been the drug of choice for committing suicide...it is easily available, and cheap. It might not kill right away, but it does kill.

What I actually said was 'people do not commit a felony in order to get paracetamol'....there is a difference.

All drugs(even over the counter ones) have risks attached to them.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2012, 06:50   #752
Beacon of light

Quote:
Not you again It doesn't matter whether what purpose it's for - it's still 500 deaths over 30! I think the issue you have is that you don't like the fact of someone taking a drug for recreational purposes! YET THOUSDANDS OF PEOPLE TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS OUT OF HABIT AND A LOT ARE ADDICTED - society lets that go and pharmacutical companies are making Billions out of it!

If I want to take a drug currently illegal - I should be allowed to! What politician has the moral right to stop me?
I accept that some people are addicted to prescription drugs...but that does not give weight to your case to legalise illegal drugs. As for society letting it go....I think that is a misconception on your part. You can hardly blame the person who is addicted to prescription drugs - they did not choose to take the drugs for pleasure. They were prescribed the drugs by a doctor, legally, for a medical complaint. The doctor must take some responsibility for this, and there is help for these people.

Some people have addictive personalities and will become addicted to almost anything....tea, coffee, mints, coca-cola........but they won't go out and mug someone, or burglarise houses to get their fix......they won't killl someone so that they can get a cup of coffee.

Alcohol is different, in that it lower inhibitions and make people do things that they would not normally do. It is cheap, it is legal and it causes a heap of problems.
I'm sure that if it did not bring in so much revenue for the government it would be banned or at least severely restricted.......look at what they have done with tobacco.......made smokers into pariahs, made it so that people who smoke can do so only in their own home or in a lean to on the side of a pub

You are right about t he pharma companies.

I have never smoked, or taken drugs...other than the occasional paracetamol........I drink very little(an odd glass of wine with a meal if we go out - and I can take it or leave it)...life gives me all the 'highs' I need.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:01   #753
JFT96

Quote:
Not you again It doesn't matter whether what purpose it's for - it's still 500 deaths over 30! I think the issue you have is that you don't like the fact of someone taking a drug for recreational purposes! YET THOUSDANDS OF PEOPLE TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS OUT OF HABIT AND A LOT ARE ADDICTED - society lets that go and pharmacutical companies are making Billions out of it!

If I want to take a drug currently illegal - I should be allowed to! What politician has the moral right to stop me?
Seeing that the vast majority of people in the UK have Paracetamol in their home and only a small minority will have taken esctasy in the past year.
I would say your numbers are very skewed, seeing there are about 60,000,000 adults in the UK and only 2,000,000 have taken illegal drugs in the past twelve months.
You see when you do the numbers you see that far from being dangerous, Paracetamol has a death rate of 1 in 120,000. But illegal drugs has 1 in 66,000. Almost double the number.

Unfortunately you seem to be either: too thick, drugged up, insane*
To see any other side to this disscussion and are hell bent on making a real ass of yourself

*delete where appropriate

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:48   #754
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I suspect this was Tiotropium (one trade name of Spiriva).
Usually taken by patients with COPD for breathing problems. Obviously, a wise decision by the doctor as you appear to have this type of problem.

I cannot find any side effects as you describe on the internet... most reactions are mild with, of course, the usual, very rare ones.

It's your decision of course ....we have discussed many times ...always the risk value here.

Just keep well anyway ... x
Well that's one I've never heard of Kate neither trade or generic name
Old 23-02-2012, 08:53   #755
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Seeing that the vast majority of people in the UK have Paracetamol in their home and only a small minority will have taken esctasy in the past year.
I would say your numbers are very skewed, seeing there are about 60,000,000 adults in the UK and only 2,000,000 have taken illegal drugs in the past twelve months.
You see when you do the numbers you see that far from being dangerous, Paracetamol has a death rate of 1 in 120,000. But illegal drugs has 1 in 66,000. Almost double the number.

Unfortunately you seem to be either: too thick, drugged up, insane*
To see any other side to this disscussion and are hell bent on making a real ass of yourself

*delete where appropriate
Probably won't know what delete means BG
Old 23-02-2012, 09:01   #756
JFT96

True, he promised to delete his user name and stop with all this brain rot a few weeks ago, but he is still here!!

Old 23-02-2012, 09:26   #757
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
True, he promised to delete his user name and stop with all this brain rot a few weeks ago, but he is still here!!
Yes, he won't be lonely though, he does have a couple of like minded, (should I really refer to that pickled walnut he has between his ears as a mind?), to back him up, it seems they are attracted in a similar fashion to flies around the brown stuff.

One day he'll suprise us, he'll come on and post without the artificial aids he relies so heavily upon, we just won't recognise him.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:54   #758
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Never having taken drugs, I don't class any drug as recreational.

The dictionary definition of this is :- any drug which is taken voluntarily for pleasure.

While cannabis is natural....and therefore less likely to be adulterated, it still has it's dangers. It can be the trigger for lifelong mental illness.
The other angle is that some people will start on something which they see as fairly harmless(cannabis) but then move on to stronger drugs in search of a better 'high'.
As I have said in a previous post, those selling drugs of any description are not interested in you or your safety, they are only interested in making money,this money may go to fund further criminal activity.

If you want to take drugs then that is your lifestyle choice. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

I worked in the NHS for 30 years and saw first-hand the harm that drug dependency has on people and their families.
But I could argue that other legal substances including food additives could trigger illness or a bump on the head.

Move on from cannabis to get a better high, same could be said for Alcohol.

Those selling drugs, yeah of course they don't care, this is where better laws would help the user.

Funding Criminal Activity, buying bootleg, DVD, Tobacco ect probably helps with this also.

I have never worked for the NHS but agree Hard Drugs are very, very dangeress, I cannot though Include Cannabis as a hard drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I never saw anybodies eyes spin and left them with a stupid grim on their face smoking wild willie woodbine
I can say the same about cannabis.

My problem is people seem to know about drugs, but group them all under one banner. cannabis and E are completely different.
Old 23-02-2012, 13:18   #759
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

cannabis and E are completely different.
Of course they are, cannabis has six letters and E (doing it's best to assist dyslexic junkies), only has one.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 15:09   #760
Beacon of light

the only people who want to legalise illegal drugs are the users of these illegal drugs.

There is very little validity in legalising them...unless they were given to those used them free of charge. If they are to be legalised and sold, then there is the possibility that they would attract some sort of taxation......as with tobacco......this would still lead to a black market (people will do anything to avoid taxation).

I do know that cannabis has led on to the use of hard drugs(this is from my experience in the NHS). I would think that few people will go on to use alcohol to get a better high......but the reverse might be said......alcohol users may go on to try cannabis...then cocaine or heroin.
People are arrogant enough to believe that they will not become addicted to these substances.......it is just sad to see how wrong they can be, and see the lives shattered by this erroneous belief.
Old 23-02-2012, 15:16   #761
Beacon of light

Oh and I do know that there are different categories of drugs......and that Cannabis and E are different.......different they may be, but they still have the potential to ruin lives.
Old 23-02-2012, 15:21   #762
God Member

I don't understand the need to 'get high'.
I admit to having 'inhaled' natural 'grass' occasionally in the past.

If you do, it is a temporary escape only, followed by an extreme low.
If you feel the need to escape, change your life.

I prefer to be calm - it costs nowt and Zen buddhism techniques show you how to get it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 16:55   #763
Beacon of light

I'm with you Margaret.
I can escape by reading a book, looking at my thousands of pictures, watching a film.
All pleasurable pursuits that do not harm anyone, least of all myself.
Old 23-02-2012, 17:07   #764
JFT96

Funny that, Pablo Escobar, the Coumbian drug lord. Purveyor of only the finest in cocaine etc once said the same Marg. He did not use drugs, he found better ways to enjoy life, but he certainly helped the users in Coke etc...
Pablo Escobar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 23-02-2012, 17:35   #765
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

My problem is people seem to know about drugs, but group them all under one banner. cannabis and E are completely different.
And both used by numpties with a death wish

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..