Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 14:13   #1411
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Allow me a moment of a pedantic nature, it should be smilie face before dots except after rant. (though there are some that claim it isn't a true rant if you include a smilie face).
Pedantry noted & ignored Sir. I think you'll find decorum & etiquette dictate that said smiley face should follow elongated punctuation points to infer a pause prior to cheeky grin, denoting also non serious nature of reprimand, a virtual, genteel rap across the knuckles so to speak.

Still, if you're off your face, who gives a rodents rectum ?
Old 10-02-2013, 15:22   #1412
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Misspelling & the use of incorrect words are all part of life's rich tapestry, Plus it don't half give you a grin.
Excuse me. That should be "tapstery": the art of drawing strong drink.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52   #1413
Resting in Peace

I kinda like people who send you messages without signing them, as for birdbrain, if he carries on posting crap I'll keep telling him and that ain't abuse, unless the truth hurts that is, for the time being spin on it
Boeing Guy likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:48   #1414
JFT96

With ya Jay, no doubt we will be getting a flood of Red...
It is rather childish really, if I ever give any, there's always a first, I will sign it

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:12   #1415
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
One hell of a post BG, every word the truth, people clutching at straws trying to justify the use of illegal substances, especially use sugar as an example are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, probably somewhere he's been all his miserable drug addled life
Ha ha ha - ignorance!

This is one I made earlier...

kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:19   #1416
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I once tried going cold turkey in an attempt to cure my addiction for water.
The withdrawal symptoms were horrendous, I did find that diluting it with copious amounts of alcohol made me tolerant to it's effects.
Water is not harmful - the issue is that sugar does kill people but is slower at doing it than some drugs like heroin. However the point is very few can totally stop eating sugar - so it is a drug but we are so reliant on it we are prepared to ignore the damage it does.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:22   #1417
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Water is not harmful - the issue is that sugar does kill people but is slower at doing it than some drugs like heroin. However the point is very few can totally stop eating sugar - so it is a drug but we are so reliant on it we are prepared to ignore the damage it does.
Nope. Sugar is not a drug.
Old 11-02-2013, 19:29   #1418
Senior Member+

There is a lot of it about if you google it. People trying to get sugar listed as a drug due potential harm it can have on the body blahdeyblah
Old 11-02-2013, 19:46   #1419
JFT96

A drug is described as:
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

So while Caffeine is a drug, one I enjoy a lot in fresh coffee, I fail to see sugar as one. Even the highly refined stuff we have in our foods.

This doscussion has been going on for 95 pages now and we are still bickering, I have had enough, I will not post again on this topic.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:59   #1420
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
There is a lot of it about if you google it. People trying to get sugar listed as a drug due potential harm it can have on the body blahdeyblah
If one lists "sugar" as a drug, then why not sulphuric acid? Here we see a very broad definition of "drug": something that has the potential to cause harm. What a crock of horse manure!

In fact, this whole discussion is a complete waste of time, fit only to put on display some rather amusing prejudices. Most folks are arguing, not on the basis of some reasoned definition of what a "drug" is, but from idiotsyncratic prejudices which they assume, for some strange reason, are generally shared. Most seem to be approaching "drug" in the same way that the blind men did the elephant.

John Godfrey Saxe: The Blind Men and the Elephant
Old 11-02-2013, 20:19   #1421
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
A drug is described as:
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.
OK sugar isn't a drug? but it's certainly not benign - this sounds a bit like a drug to me:

A 2008 study noted that sugar affects opioids and dopamine in the brain, and thus might be expected to have addictive potential. It referenced bingeing, withdrawal, craving and cross-sensitization, and gave each of them operational definitions in order to demonstrate behaviorally that sugar bingeing is a reinforcer. These behaviors were said to be related to neurochemical changes in the brain that also occur during addiction to drugs. Neural adaptations included changes in dopamine and opioid receptor binding, enkephalin mRNA expression and dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens.

Avena NM, Rada P, Hoebel BG. Evidence for sugar addiction: behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2008;32(1):20-39. Epub 2007 May 18.
Old 11-02-2013, 20:21   #1422
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If one lists "sugar" as a drug, then why not sulphuric acid? Here we see a very broad definition of "drug": something that has the potential to cause harm. What a crock of horse manure!
OK they can both cause harm but that's not the definition of a drug.
Old 11-02-2013, 20:26   #1423
Senior Member+

Quote:
This doscussion
Best watch out. The police are watching!

Nah I agree. This thread has gone on too long. Though I find the discussion of sugar and its effects on the body interesting its entry in this thread is... well Its a debate not worth having anymore
Old 11-02-2013, 23:31   #1424
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
OK they can both cause harm but that's not the definition of a drug.
See #1418 ...That was what was on my mind.

And you might agree that a liking for fats and sugars constitutes a survival advantage; and has, therefore, more to do with evolution than it has with addiction. There again, you might not
Old 12-02-2013, 03:45   #1425
God Member

Quote:
A drug is described as:

So while Caffeine is a drug, one I enjoy a lot in fresh coffee, I fail to see sugar as one. Even the highly refined stuff we have in our foods.

This doscussion has been going on for 95 pages now and we are still bickering, I have had enough, I will not post again on this topic.
Yeah, I think I've had enough too. But I'll take one last kick at the cat, just for the halibut. Certain drugs, the "soft" ones, will be decrimminalized. Just a question of the law catching up with what's going on. I've seen a lot of changes in my life. I remember when the good ol' boys in the pointy white hats was a'lynchin niggas in Mississippi. I remember when homosexuality was illegal. And I live in a time when the President of the United States of America is a black man, and the Premier of Ontario is an openly gay woman, legally married to her partner. So, some significant modifications to overly restrictive and outdated drug laws that are becoming way too expensive to police are inevitable.

I remember being at a party one time. I was looking at the album cover for Peter Tosh's "Legalize It". Buddy of mine, even more stoned than I was, looked at it and said something like, "Legalize it hell, subsidize it" Ok. Maybe that's going way too far The times they are a'changin', folks. Perhaps not in ways that we expected, or that we would have hoped for. But the barriers against responsible use, subject to law, of drugs for recreational purposes will come down like the Berlin wall. And tell me that wasn't a shocker to those of us who grew up in the Cold War era.
MargaretR and Restless like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..