Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 08:15   #1426
Resting in Peace

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Nope. Sugar is not a drug.
Quite right Eric and I haven't used it for years
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24   #1427
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
A drug is described as:
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

So while Caffeine is a drug, one I enjoy a lot in fresh coffee, I fail to see sugar as one. Even the highly refined stuff we have in our foods.

This doscussion has been going on for 95 pages now and we are still bickering, I have had enough, I will not post again on this topic.
I'm with you BG it won't be long before the usual suspects will be trying to tell us that eating cornflakes is addictive, and for heavens sake lay of the raspberry jam its the new heroine
Old 12-02-2013, 14:03   #1428
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
A drug is described as:
A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular.

So while Caffeine is a drug, one I enjoy a lot in fresh coffee, I fail to see sugar as one. Even the highly refined stuff we have in our foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm with you BG it won't be long before the usual suspects will be trying to tell us that eating cornflakes is addictive, and for heavens sake lay of the raspberry jam its the new heroine
Woman in NZ dies from drinking Coke after being addicted and drinking up to 10 litres a day...

The coroner calculated that drinking 10 litres (17.5 pints) of Coke amounted to more than 1kg (2.2lb) of sugar and 970mg of caffeine, Television New Zealand (TVNZ) reports.

This is twice the recommended safe limit of caffeine and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.

BBC News - Coca-Cola drinking 'linked to New Zealander's death'
Old 12-02-2013, 14:23   #1429
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Woman in NZ dies from drinking Coke after being addicted and drinking up to 10 litres a day...
Hardly what I'd call a typical or scientific example though is it?

More like tabloid sensationalism that some tend to use as poor examples for their weak arguments.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:08   #1430
Resting in Peace

Quote:

The coroner calculated that drinking 10 litres (17.5 pints) of Coke amounted to more than 1kg (2.2lb) of sugar and 970mg of caffeine, Television New Zealand (TVNZ) reports.

This is twice the recommended safe limit of caffeine and more than 11 times the recommended sugar intake.

BBC News - Coca-Cola drinking 'linked to New Zealander's death'
And so your point is, if you drink that amount of water a day you'll end up with the same result, death
Old 12-02-2013, 17:18   #1431
Resting In Peace

Quote:
And so your point is, if you drink that amount of water a day you'll end up with the same result, death
Errr no, that's your point.

I give up
Old 12-02-2013, 17:49   #1432
Senior Member+

Quote:

I give up
Susie, Google 'Death by water intoxication'.
One woman died after drinking 2x2litre bottles quickly.

So 10 litres of Coke- yes an excess of sugar and caffeine wouldn't help but neither would 10 litres of water.
An excess of anything can be harm full and kill but that doesn't make it a drug.
You need salt but try swallowing a packet or being shipwrecked and having to drink sea water and see where you end up.
jaysay likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:04   #1433
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I give up
Well I would, your certainly not winning any arguments by keep backing up a druggie with any clap trap that he tries to justify is predilections with

Last edited by jaysay; 12-02-2013 at 18:07.
Old 12-02-2013, 18:08   #1434
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Susie, Google 'Death by water intoxication'.
One woman died after drinking 2x2litre bottles quickly.

So 10 litres of Coke- yes an excess of sugar and caffeine wouldn't help but neither would 10 litres of water.
An excess of anything can be harm full and kill but that doesn't make it a drug.
You need salt but try swallowing a packet or being shipwrecked and having to drink sea water and see where you end up.
I did exactly that Gordon, that has been known about for yonks.

My frustration is with folks who don't see that things like sugar (not just sugar, note) have an effect on the body above and beyond their role (questionable in any case) in nutrition. The physiological effects can be hard to grasp from the scientific literature but yes I would go so far as to call them drugs.

Anyway as this thread is about illegal drugs I had better shut up or get back to that subject or who knows where I'll end up.
Old 12-02-2013, 18:19   #1435
Resting in Peace

Quote:

My frustration is with folks who don't see that things like sugar (not just sugar, note) have an effect on the body above and beyond their role (questionable in any case) in nutrition. The physiological effects can be hard to grasp from the scientific literature but yes I would go so far as to call them drugs.

Anyway as this thread is about illegal drugs I had better shut up or get back to that subject or who knows where I'll end up.
That as been the point all along, but as I said earlier, there are those who try and justify drug taking by linking other LEGAL SUBSTANCES
Old 12-02-2013, 18:23   #1436
Senior Member+

Quote:

Try eating 11 times your nutritional requirement of steak every day and see what that does to you. Try taking deep breaths 11 times as fast as you should and see how long before you pass out. Steak isn't a drug, neither is air.
If sugar is a drug how come people can cut it out and use sweeteners with no problems? I couldn't just stop smoking( although I could try sucking sweeteners instead?)

Quote:
Loosing?
jaysay likes this.

Last edited by Neil; 13-02-2013 at 08:44. Reason: fix quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:50   #1437
Resting In Peace

Quote:
..Try eating 11 times your nutritional requirement of steak every day and see what that does to you. Try taking deep breaths 11 times as fast as you should and see how long before you pass out. Steak isn't a drug, neither is air.
If sugar is a drug how come people can cut it out and use sweeteners with no problems?
Arrgghh!! this is getting silly. Of course I wouldn't say that steak is a drug but we're talking about effects on the body with things like sugar that go far deeper than nutrition as I said before. I'm not trying to brag or be a clever clogs but I do have a PhD in sugar chemistry so please grant me a little insight.

And we're talking here about the effects far above those seen with the recommended daily intake of such things.

BTW looking at some of the none too pretty sights wandering the streets I'm beginning to wonder if steak etc is not a drug for some folks!
MargaretR and Stevie R like this.
Old 12-02-2013, 18:57   #1438
Senior Member+

Quote:

BTW looking at some of the none too pretty sights wandering the streets I'm beginning to wonder if steak etc is not a drug for some folks!
It's not their fault, susie. They didn't know they were eating horse meat!
Old 12-02-2013, 18:59   #1439
Resting In Peace

Quote:
It's not their fault, susie. They didn't know they were eating horse meat!
Phew!! Thank you Gordon for that bit of light relief!
Old 12-02-2013, 20:15   #1440
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well I would, your certainly not winning any arguments by keep backing up a druggie with any clap trap that he tries to justify is predilections with
Susie has her own opinions. She ain't 'backing him up' and with her background she has more sensible things to input in a stupid bull**** thread such as this than most users seem to have. (see my posts for example)

There really is no need to keep calling him a druggie. He has said he is no longer a drug user more than once.

On a lighter note. How the hell does someone drink 10 litres of coke a day? geeeeese

Last edited by Restless; 12-02-2013 at 20:23. Reason: scrap this rubbish thread!!!
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..