Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 21:25   #1441
Resting in Peace

Re: Legalise "Illegal" Drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

There really is no need to keep calling him a druggie. He has said he is no longer a drug user more than once.
while he keeps justify the taking of illegal substances for kicks and carries on trying to prove his point by using clap trap so be it, like they say an alcoholic is only one drink away from rejoining the ranks same goes for drugs
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2013, 21:34   #1442

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
while he keeps justify the taking of illegal substances for kicks and carries on trying to prove his point by using clap trap so be it, like they say an alcoholic is only one drink away from rejoining the ranks same goes for drugs
I used to smoke. Using your argument, am I still a smoker?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 22:02   #1443
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He talks of past experiences and yeah he has some off the wall opinions and ideas about drugs and IMO weak arguments for the use of them. I have suggested again and again that this subject should be moved to 18+ if the "this is a family forum" is to be applied. I also agree that kesx should restrain himself a little (like the I drove on acid comment) and think of the idea that this is a family forum.

I don't know much much about alcohol addiction, but it was my understanding that they are always one drink away from becoming an alcoholic again because of the damage it has taken on the body. Damage that a person can never be fully recovered? I have never looked that much into it but if what I believe is to be true then it cannot be applied to drugs on a whole. How can you suggest that all addictions are the same as that of alcohol. Physically and mentally ?

Last edited by Restless; 12-02-2013 at 22:05.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 08:08   #1444
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Stick one in your mouth Michael and it will probably undo all the good work you did by stopping
Restless likes this.
Old 13-02-2013, 08:20   #1445
Resting in Peace

Quote:
He talks of past experiences and yeah he has some off the wall opinions and ideas about drugs and IMO weak arguments for the use of them. I have suggested again and again that this subject should be moved to 18+ if the "this is a family forum" is to be applied. I also agree that kesx should restrain himself a little (like the I drove on acid comment) and think of the idea that this is a family forum.

I don't know much much about alcohol addiction, but it was my understanding that they are always one drink away from becoming an alcoholic again because of the damage it has taken on the body. Damage that a person can never be fully recovered? I have never looked that much into it but if what I believe is to be true then it cannot be applied to drugs on a whole. How can you suggest that all addictions are the same as that of alcohol. Physically and mentally ?
Its called the University of life Rob, I've been around a long time and seen to many people in early graves through stupidity, I stopped smoking 35 years ago, if I hadn't I certainly wouldn't have been here today. You would never hear me saying I'm a onetime smoker but I recommend any body to try it, which is basically the theme of this thread from a onetime drug abuser, one of the mates I grew up with, went to his grave at the age of 42 because he couldn't say no to drink. The bottom line is I have no time for people who promote using illegal substances just for kicks, as I've said before I have a cupboard full prescribed drugs just to keep me alive, and some clown wants to promote illegal drugs just for kicks, especially when he uses comparisons like sugar to justify it, sorry its not on
Old 13-02-2013, 08:47   #1446
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
....There really is no need to keep calling him a druggie. He has said he is no longer a drug user more than once....
I agree it does appear a little unfair, would you be happy if we refer to him as a self confessed ex-drug user?
jaysay and mobertol like this.
Old 13-02-2013, 09:01   #1447
Senior Member+

Quote:
From my own experience, Michael, yes you are.
Your just not smoking at the moment. Good for you.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:10   #1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
From my own experience, Michael, yes you are.
Your just not smoking at the moment. Good for you.
I failed to say that I am addicted to nicotine chewing gum!
mobertol and Gordon Booth like this.
Old 13-02-2013, 10:12   #1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree it does appear a little unfair, would you be happy if we refer to him as a self confessed ex-drug user?
It's certainly politer than some of the names he has been called.
Old 13-02-2013, 10:13   #1450
Resting in Peace

Quote:
nice one Michael
Old 13-02-2013, 11:36   #1451
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
How the hell does someone drink 10 litres of coke a day? geeeeese
Easy, unscrew lid, pour into glass, drink, repeat .......... continuously until required amount is reached.
Restless likes this.
Old 13-02-2013, 13:03   #1452
God Member

Quote:
No, but you are very susceptible to nicotine! Ny husband gave up smoking in 2000 (he was on 25 Marlborough a day), we went through 2 years of hell with his withdrawal symptoms until it all seemingly calmed down. 7 years ago for a "joke" his boss gave him some chewing tobacco to try (I told him not to but of course he didn't listen...)and he's now been using that for 7 years. To my mind it is worse than smoking the stuff -pretty disgusting to be honest. My point is that like an ex-alcoholic you are are just one step away from being hooked again -so take care!

Didn't read through the thread to see about the nicorette gum!

You could try alternating with Wrigley's spearmint gum and slowly cut down to zero - you will be hell to live with throughout the process though -warn those who know you! Nicotine affects exactly the same areas of the brain which heroin does...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 13-02-2013 at 13:09.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:09   #1453
Senior Member+

Quote:
I packed up smoking 4 years ago in May and I used a hypnosis tape and nicotine chewing gum to cut down and get onto rolling tobacco then gave that up. I never have cravings for a smoke.

I am not addicted to the gum though - it did help me cut down over several years.

Most likely you could say I am addicted to tea, coffee and sugar as I probably couldn't go a day without them, also possibly chocolate.

Last edited by kestrelx; 13-02-2013 at 16:14.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:32   #1454
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Neither.

Posts like jaysays last one is more preferable. Experience and insight more than sniping comments. The latter only brings this subject to go around in circles
Old 25-02-2013, 16:47   #1455
Senior Member+

Quote:
Neither.

Posts like jaysays last one is more preferable. Experience and insight more than sniping comments. The latter only brings this subject to go around in circles
There was a debate about this on the Wright Stuff today about should you discuss illegal drug taking with your kids or ignore it? There has been research done with conflicting conclusions. One woman said she shunned the issue with her son and he ended up dying of a drugs O.D another claimed he did openly discuss drugs with his son and the lad didn't have a problem with them, as the father did.

TV chef Gino D'Acampo admitted dabbling in drugs when he was younger and has discussed the issue with his sons! And his brains don't seem to have been fried!

Gino D'Acampo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by kestrelx; 25-02-2013 at 16:51.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..