Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2020, 07:48   #46
God Member

Re: Let's Reminisce.

any of you lot used to go down to the local gas works with your mam with an old pram filling it up with coke in winter. if it had been snowing your sledge was used in place of the pram. funny how going smokeless coincided with the vast amount of time it then took to get warm if you were frozen.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2020, 09:11   #47

Monkey Hanger, my dad swore by Sloan's Liniment for all his aches and pains, but he wasn't very happy the day my mum was rubbing some on his back and it went right down and under....I hadn't realised how well he could dance about until that day. We couldn't help laughing - he was not amused.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:38   #48
God Member

[QUOTE=dotti34;1242595]Monkey Hanger, my dad swore by Sloan's Liniment for all his aches and pains,

wonder if we are related dotti. with my fathers reputation there is a real possibility. can still smell that sloans stuff, actually i quite liked it like all stuff like detol and TCP.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:37   #49
Beacon of light

The pink wadding was called Thermogene.....and there was Scott's emulsion.....worm cakes, these looked like big chocolate buttons with hundreds and thousands on them....the chocolate was not real chocolate, but a cousin of ex-lax.....and made you poo.
Bile beans, Indian brandee, this was something I really wanted to try.....I faked a belly ache and was give a tablespoon of the stuff.....nasty, really nasty.

You used to be able to buy 12 little liver pills for a penny(I think).
When you bought them they were wrapped up in a twist of paper.
One day my dad was feeling ropey(not from beer I hasten to add).
I was sent to the shop for a pennysworth of little liver pills.
They looked like small white sweets....I popped one into my mouth and sucked it.....once the sugar coating was sucked off it tasted horrible and I spat it down a grate.
When I got home my dad countedthe pills and said I had been 'jewed' and he made me go back with the twist of paper for the one that was missing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:38   #50

[QUOTE=dotti34;1242576]More things that come to mind. Liberty bodices (don’t ask!), camphor square hung round neck, Fennings Fever Cure, Malt and Cod Liver Oil, Cod Liver Oil on its own – yuk!, thick pink square of some sort of padding (can’t remember what it was called) held against chest by the liberty bodice, so many things to ward off colds – but I still got them……

The pad or thick rag that you refer to was smeared thickly with hot "Kaolin" clay,
the whole cabodle,(not spelt right, I know),was known as a kaolin Poultice, I suffered many of them as a youngster.
Malt extract I used to love.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:40   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
any of you lot used to go down to the local gas works with your mam with an old pram filling it up with coke in winter. if it had been snowing your sledge was used in place of the pram. funny how going smokeless coincided with the vast amount of time it then took to get warm if you were frozen.
No but I was sent with a push chair along Nuttall street to Bob Wilkinsons Hardware shop for a gallon of paraffin and two packs of coal bricks.
This was because the coal man would not come up the hill unless there were a few people getting coal.
Old 31-07-2020, 10:43   #52

Thermogene does ring a bell but I tend to think that my mum used cotton rags that she brought home from the mill, these were boiled and the Kaolin smeared on as hot as you could stand it.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:29   #53
Beacon of light

Taddy you are right about the kaolin poultice..we used those for patients who had wound infections and those who had pneumonia...the heat soothed the discomfort at the base of the lungs.
A bit like a hot water bottle with no risk of spillage.
We were told that even a cold Kaolin poultice would draw out infection, but I liked to use the hot.

We also used a Nelsons inhaler to give Friars Balsam (tincture of Benzoin)inhalations for chest infections....old fashioned but very effective.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-07-2020 at 11:33.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No but I was sent with a push chair along Nuttall street to Bob Wilkinsons Hardware shop for a gallon of paraffin and two packs of coal bricks.
This was because the coal man would not come up the hill unless there were a few people getting coal.
If I remember rightly, the hardware shop that you mention, used to sell Fishing baskets, laundry baskets etc. I have mentioned in earlier posts that I think that my father could well have been one of, if not the last (tradesman trained) basket makers in Lancashire. I do know that he carried on his trade after getting a job at Huncoat Pit and he made many for a shop on Nuttall Street. that shop plus other outlets for his wares kept him in beer money for years.
They say that you shouldn't look back on life but I do regret not taking up his offer to teach me his art and it was an art, anything from shopping baskets to baby's cribs and antique wickerwork chairs.I fact anything made from Cane or Willow.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:33   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Taddy that is a kaolin poultice....we used those for patients who had wound infections and those who had pneumonia...the heat soothed the discomfort at the base of the lungs.
A bit like a hot water bottle with no risk of spillage.
We were told that even a cold Kaolin poultice would draw out infection, but I liked to use the hot.
Yes, I did call it a Poultice in an earlier post.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:34   #56
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Yes, I did call it a Poultice in an earlier post.
Not spotted until I posted...now edited to reflect that.
taddy likes this.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:37   #57
Beacon of light

Yes you are right about Bob Wilinson selling wicker baskets....and fishing baskets.....they used to hang high up on the ceiling.....and the large laundry baskets were in the back of his shop....many of these were used as a first bed for a new baby,suitably padded of course.

The co-op smelled of coffee and cheese....Bob Wilies smelled of Lamp oil, firelights and coal dust(which is what the coal bricks were made of).
Old 31-07-2020, 11:50   #58

Hazels Aunty Ethel lived at number 63 Nuttall Street for 30/40 years maybe, her married name was Yates.
Old 31-07-2020, 14:48   #59
Full Member+

The clough at the end of Richmond Road was called Nelson's Clough and Cocker Lumb (as we always called it) was up Green Haworth and could be got to going up Broadfield to Benjamins Row and then down to the river in the bottom, usually we followed the river down to Hoyle Bottom and then up Pt House Lane back to Broadfield.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:58   #60
Full Member+

Dotti your story about your dad and Sloan's Liniment made me laugh and reminded me that many years ago I was up Peel Park with me dad and a player went down injured and lay there for some time, one of the blokes in the crowd shouted "Put some Sloan's down crack of his a**e he'll get up" everybody round about burst out laughing but I didn't know what they were laughing at until several years later when I had a similar incident to your dad - and like him I wasn't amused.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote

« No Chat. | R.i.p »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..