Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2010, 12:57   #31
God Member

Re: Let's Webcast Council

Has there been any progress from any of the parties on this? It's not like it's costly or hard to implement.
Old 30-03-2010, 13:11   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Has there been any progress from any of the parties on this? It's not like it's costly or hard to implement.
Twitter / Stuart Pike: #HBC Clare Pritchard asks ...

"Clare Pritchard asks if meetings could be filmed on web cam."

The wonders of mobile internet technology for checking Accyweb in the council chamber, or just a massive coincidence?
Old 30-03-2010, 17:25   #33
Common Sense Member

I had the pleasure of watching that question asked during Leader's Question Time from the public gallery as it was something I had brought up with Clare. At the mention of my name, Cllr Britcliffe gave an 'interesting' reaction so it's nice to know that my reputation preceded me.

The question wasn't actually answered in any definite way but if council meetings ever are webcast they will make gripping viewing. The cost would be ridiculously small so there really isn't a concrete excuse why not.

It was a jolly fun afternoon out, must do it again sometime.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:06   #34
Senior Member+

I think its a fantastic idea to film the meetings on a web cam, open and honest thats how all council meeting should be. Is someone going to start a petition?
Old 30-03-2010, 19:08   #35
God Member

I`m not but i`d sign one...................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:59   #36
Give, give, give member

I'm not sure my aesthetic sensibilities could take the battering.

Perhaps I'll just tune in to the audio, and gaze at my H.B.C. calendar, whilst listening in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 20:10   #37
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm not sure my aesthetic sensibilities could take the battering.

Perhaps I'll just tune in to the audio, and gaze at my H.B.C. calendar, whilst listening in.
You've still got yours, then? Mine went in the recycling bag as soon as it graced my doorstep.

Total waste of taxpayers' money, particularly when the splendid recycling calendar is not only of much higher quality but more informative and runs for two years.

Old 30-03-2010, 20:35   #38
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Twitter / Stuart Pike: #HBC Clare Pritchard asks ...

"Clare Pritchard asks if meetings could be filmed on web cam."

The wonders of mobile internet technology for checking Accyweb in the council chamber, or just a massive coincidence?
If you've never been to the public gallery, I'd advise you to go next time there's a full council meeting. It's a real eye-opener.

I wonder if you'll be as staunchly true blue afterwards.

Old 30-03-2010, 22:39   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If you've never been to the public gallery, I'd advise you to go next time there's a full council meeting. It's a real eye-opener.

I've been before. If I'd have been dressed I'd have gone today. It's a shame I didn't go and get to meet you.

What was the reply then? I think somebody who supports it should just take a webcam.
Old 30-03-2010, 22:42   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Dont wonder that Ken! ya can't put sense where there is none.
Old 30-03-2010, 23:51   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You've still got yours, then?
Still got them?

Of course. They're collector's items, especially the first edition, with twelve glorious, full colour pictures of Il Duce. Which I have kept in pristine condition, because it's been laminated, and is now easily wiped clean.

Though my own favourite is the one I thought was my 'Toby Jug Collectors Monthly', when it first landed on my mat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tobyjug.jpg (341.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 30-03-2010, 23:55   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Total waste of taxpayers' money, particularly when the splendid recycling calendar is not only of much higher quality but more informative and runs for two years.
I happen to agree, and it's mentioned in this thread, which sadly grows longe and longer each year, with the arrival of the next installment of the calendar.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...hly-18823.html

Old 31-03-2010, 05:09   #43
God Member

call me cynical but whats teh point all that would happen is that once they knew they were on camera been watched all the things they dont want us to know or think we wont like will be discussed in teh corridoors out of camera shot before or after the meeting.

a bit like parliament if you will

edit:

besides if they manage to blow thousands of our pounds on a website that never worked properly how much of our money do you think they would waste setting a poxy webcam up

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 31-03-2010 at 05:12.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:23   #44
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I've been before. If I'd have been dressed I'd have gone today. It's a shame I didn't go and get to meet you.

What was the reply then? I think somebody who supports it should just take a webcam.
I've just been given a preliminary figure and it's more than I thought but in line with what every other council in the North West pays. There are much, much cheaper ways of recording council sessions and it's something I'm going to pursue.

The answer was along the lines of 'Maybe council meetings should be webcast so that the public can see the antics of the opposition' and then he sat down. Those are not Cllr Britcliffe's words verbatim but (and I'm open to correction) I don't recall a direct 'yes' or 'no' or even 'we can look into it'.

Most of yesterday's session revolved around cheap political jibes and I was surprised at the Council Leader's behaviour, to be honest. Even the presentation by Cllr Marlene Haworth on the refurbishment of Accrington Market Hall descended into petty political point-scoring. It was concise and well-presented, picture boards showed clearly what was being done and questions from the opposition were given straight answers but Cllr Britcliffe undermined the whole thing by summing up with an attack on the opposition.

He also brought up that Labour had allowed the tax office to close in Accrington while 'certain people were peeping on about private banks'. I will remember those ill-chosen words, particularly in view of the fact that he personally endorsed our little campaign to save the Rishton branch of HSBC by making an eleventh hour appearance on The Bee.

Old 31-03-2010, 07:37   #45
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
call me cynical but whats teh point all that would happen is that once they knew they were on camera been watched all the things they dont want us to know or think we wont like will be discussed in teh corridoors out of camera shot before or after the meeting.

a bit like parliament if you will

edit:

besides if they manage to blow thousands of our pounds on a website that never worked properly how much of our money do you think they would waste setting a poxy webcam up
If yesterday is anything to go by, it may calm proceedings down and focus the debates somewhat.

More public awareness is required and if people can get their facts straight from the horse's mouth rather than filtered through the media then they will be able to make more informed decisions come election times.

The reporters in Hyndburn seem to be respectable and respectful but there's still no substitute for hearing your councillors speak directly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..