Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2010, 09:45   #46
God Member

Re: Let's Webcast Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've just been given a preliminary figure and it's more than I thought but in line with what every other council in the North West pays. There are much, much cheaper ways of recording council sessions and it's something I'm going to pursue.

The answer was along the lines of 'Maybe council meetings should be webcast so that the public can see the antics of the opposition' and then he sat down. Those are not Cllr Britcliffe's words verbatim but (and I'm open to correction) I don't recall a direct 'yes' or 'no' or even 'we can look into it'.

Most of yesterday's session revolved around cheap political jibes and I was surprised at the Council Leader's behaviour, to be honest. Even the presentation by Cllr Marlene Haworth on the refurbishment of Accrington Market Hall descended into petty political point-scoring. It was concise and well-presented, picture boards showed clearly what was being done and questions from the opposition were given straight answers but Cllr Britcliffe undermined the whole thing by summing up with an attack on the opposition.

He also brought up that Labour had allowed the tax office to close in Accrington while 'certain people were peeping on about private banks'. I will remember those ill-chosen words, particularly in view of the fact that he personally endorsed our little campaign to save the Rishton branch of HSBC by making an eleventh hour appearance on The Bee.
Must say when I've been they've both been just as bad as each other. Is there wifi in the building? I know other councils all use some set system.. but it's quite easy to do it relatively cheaply if the council just do it themselves. You can use things like Qik | Record and share video live from your mobile phone, you'd just need a decent camera and a connection to the internet.

Edit: Err actually I dunno if Qik is just for mobiles, but there are plenty of free streaming sites like http://www.ustream.tv/ was my point.
Old 31-03-2010, 09:57   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Must say when I've been they've both been just as bad as each other.
Perhaps now Graham is a PPC he has calmed down a bit. He hasn't called me a pillock in a while..
Old 31-03-2010, 11:21   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Perhaps now Graham is a PPC he has calmed down a bit. He hasn't called me a pillock in a while..
Perhaps he feels there's no need, and the informaton's eventually sunk in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 11:58   #49
Give, give, give member

It will be interesting to see if the person who vilely labeled Graham Jone's newly born baby daughter 'the spawn of Satan', would be quite as vocal, if council meetings are broadcast live.

Perhaps someone as loathsome as that, would still be as viciously crass, but instead they'd just do it off cam.

Old 31-03-2010, 14:43   #50
Senior Member+

does anyone know the time and date of the next meeting open to the public?
Old 31-03-2010, 14:50   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweiy View Post
does anyone know the time and date of the next meeting open to the public?
The next full council is not until the 18th May after the elections..

There might be area councils near you before then, have a look at http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/site/sc...0&pageNumber=1
Old 31-03-2010, 15:01   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
The next full council is not until the 18th May after the elections..

There might be area councils near you before then, have a look at Council Meetings, Minutes and Agendas - Hyndburn Borough Council Meetings, Minutes and Agendas
That is not the date if The Tories lose power. There will need to be a fresh look at what an incoming Council would want to do.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 15:19   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
That is not the date if The Tories lose power. There will need to be a fresh look at what an incoming Council would want to do.
The meeting will be on the 18th of May then
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35   #54
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Some council meetings in other councils are broadcast on their website, and can be played back after the event. Wouldn't it be great for transparency and openness if we could her things from the horses mouth without needing to attend every council meeting.
Don't tell anyone, but a large migratory bird, told me a certain authority has approached him with a similar idea, he might not take the job on because he hasn't got a technical mod' to look after such a section & he may have to refuse because of other work commitments.

Last edited by Less; 01-04-2010 at 07:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Don't tell anyone, but a large migratory bird, told me a certain authority has approached him with a similar idea, he might not take the job on because he hasn't got a technical mod' to look after such a section & he may have to refuse because of other work commitments.

Wouldn't that certain authority have in their employ media technologists, who already run their websites etc, and who could facilitate the broadcasts for the bird's forum?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47   #56
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Wouldn't that certain authority have in their employ media technologists, who already run their websites etc, and who could facilitate the broadcasts for the bird's forum?

Can only tell you what he told me, am seeing him later today, no doubt further details will be forthcoming, watch this space...

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59   #57
Give, give, give member

If Accy Web does become involved with the broadcasts from council chambers, even though I'm retired, I would be very willing to help the performers with styling tips, and advice on costumes, in order to achieve the most flattering coverage possible.

References can be supplied, as to the quality of my work, from American Presidents, various Royal Houses, and political heavyweights such as Mike Tyson and David Beckham.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:02   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

All the posts about hyndburnlife have been moved to one of the more recent hyndburnlife threads. Please can we discuss that in the thread below and leave this thread for the webcast topic?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-it-51360.html
Old 01-04-2010, 12:44   #59
Give, give, give member

Besides tuning in for the novelty value, the first time it happens, will anyone regularly tune in to watch?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:55   #60
Common Sense Member

Possibly not at 1.00pm, it clashes with Doctors.

However, a more sensible slot of 6.00pm might get better viewing figures and a digital archive which could be accessed when convenient would be the best option.

Film recording is probably much easier and cheaper and since that's my line of work I'll do you all a special deal - £200 per session to film, edit to format and upload online.

How does that grab you?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..