Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Let's Webcast Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I think the cost answer is a red herring. The cost would be paying a member of staff a few hours overtime, plus the cost of a decent camera, which these days isn't expensive.

We aren't looking for something to be nominated in the category of best documentary at the Academy Awards. Just someone who can point the camera at whoever is speaking.

Fylde BC have been doing it for years. The only negative is that it makes the meetings look so mind-numbingly boring. And as the old saying goes, the camera cannot lie! Take it from one who knows!

Well at least I can agree with Cllr Moss on one thing council meetings are mind numbingly boring, that is for suresitting in front of a computer screen watching a council meeting isn't ever going to hit the heights is it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14   #92
Senior Member+

I remember one Chief Officer (long since retired) who used to take the Committee through EVERY report word by word, even though they had received the reports days before. He would stop at the end of each sentence with words of explanation. His philosophy (which he never admitted to) was to grind everyone down to such a degree of boredom that they would agree anything at the end of it, just to get away.

The standing order that all meetings had to finish by 10pm was a godsend, otherwise they would have gone on until the wee small hours.

I now see my retirement pension as payback time for all those hours over many years spent in total, utter and complete boredom!

gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I now see my retirement pension as payback time for all those hours over many years spent in total, utter and complete boredom!
...and yet you were suprised that there were no members of the public at the recent overview and scrutiny committee meeting regarding budgets.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and yet you were suprised that there were no members of the public at the recent overview and scrutiny committee meeting regarding budgets.
Things have changed a bit since my day. In all the years I was there, we never had anything like the cuts that the Council has to impose this year, and the only thing to look forward to at budget time was how much George Slynn would find for his latest pet schemes.

Nowadays, there are wholesale redundancies and service cuts which SHOULD be of concern.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Things have changed a bit since my day. In all the years I was there, we never had anything like the cuts that the Council has to impose this year, and the only thing to look forward to at budget time was how much George Slynn would find for his latest pet schemes.

Nowadays, there are wholesale redundancies and service cuts which SHOULD be of concern.
I've little doubt that people ARE concerned about the cuts.

However, passively witnessing the overview and scrutiny committee mull over the various proposals put forward by the parties involved, might be seen as a rather passive waste of time.

Seeing as their presence will make not one iota of difference to proceedings.

Perhaps members of the public would prefer to use their time more usefully, whilst still having a keen interest in budget cuts, by gathering any relevant information from other sources.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39   #96
Give, give, give member

Besides, I'm not too sure if it was a morning, or evening meeting, but I believe some people in Hyndburn have to actually work for a living, at both those times.

Making it difficult to attend, as well as their attendance having no impact on the discussion.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49   #97
God Member

Are we all sure that this is such a good idea? Remember what happened to Hyndburn Lite and what that cost. We all know that whatever the council does ends up costing much more than they originally envisaged and more than somebody else can do the same job for.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55   #98
God Member

Plus...don't we run the risk of certain councillors turning into more of a prima-donna than they already are?

The reason that Prime Minister's Questions is such a pantomime now, is purely down to the presence of cameras.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Are we all sure that this is such a good idea? Remember what happened to Hyndburn Lite and what that cost. We all know that whatever the council does ends up costing much more than they originally envisaged and more than somebody else can do the same job for.

You mean like when Hyndburn B.C. were given £591,000,00, to set up a community website, to rival Accy Web?

Costly website a ?desperate failure? | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

I'm sure they could make another half million pounds in cuts, in order to have a stab, and fund this.

Old 05-03-2012, 13:10   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Plus...don't we run the risk of certain councillors turning into more of a prima-donna than they already are?

The reason that Prime Minister's Questions is such a pantomime now, is purely down to the presence of cameras.
To make sure it's a crowd puller they could bring in guest stars.

Who could then keep our own prima-donnas under control

The pixie who was inside R2-D2, Corrie's Martin Plat, that celebrity chef chap, Dildo something or other, the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.

Perhaps even a big Hollywood star!

Well we are now a big player of the world stage.

Old 05-03-2012, 13:21   #101
God Member

Quote:
Well we are now a big player of the world stage.

I hadn't thought of that, maybe we could offer to host the peace conference at the Dunkenhalgh
Old 05-03-2012, 13:36   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that, maybe we could offer to host the peace conference at the Dunkenhalgh
Now we're Hyndburn International, if meetings are to be filmed, because we're rated a council of 'excellence', I'm expecting big things.

Sundance Film Festival.

A Palme d'Or at Cannes.

Perhaps even an Oscar, for Best Foriegn Film.

Dust off your muffs, and mirkins, and get your glad rags dry-cleaned.

Hyndburn International councillors could soon be heading for the red carpet.

Old 05-03-2012, 13:38   #103
God Member

Quote:

have you ever bought a drink there the prices woudl start ww3

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 13:42   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Might be better, being more central, to host any peace conference in the Crocheted Gonk Suite, at the Old Market Hall Arts Centre.

Old 05-03-2012, 14:12   #105
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Might be better, being more central, to host any peace conference in the Crocheted Gonk Suite, at the Old Market Hall Arts Centre.
Nope, so we cause the minimum of offence it will have to be Kentucky Fried, it's Hal al so that's o.k. for everybody, (except the mediators, (but they don't count)), and we'd never talk the Indians into going anywhere near Blackburn Road.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..