Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 20:54   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Life’s Little Annoyances!

I solved the squishy toothpaste tube problem ages ago. The answer is a large bulldog clip, fold the tube up from the bottom then fasten the clip on. Be careful to get your fingers out of the way first as trapping them can produce a nasty blood-blister and a few choice expletives.

My pet annoyance is sqeezy bottles of Fairy liquid that, when empty to the point that no more will come out, still have a thick film of detergent round the inside of the bottle - enough to wash up after a banquet. As the cap is, by now, glued on with dried out Fairy gunge the only way to use this detergent is to trickle enough water from the trap down the half centimeter hole in the top. This can result in an impromptu shower/shampoo and a lot of bubbles floating in the air. These bubbles have a direction-finder aimed at the eyes or, in my case the glasses, which temporarily blinds you either by stinging or lens-coating. This leads to you dropping the bottle on the floor and then the detergent will come out - oh yes - everywhere.

It is for the above reasons that, 4 years ago, I bought a dish-washer.
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2007, 21:06   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Life’s Little Annoyances!

I use Fairy liquid for washing up but once in a while I wipe the top clean of gunge.

Then when the liquid is getting down to a few millimetres I close the cap and stand it upside down.

To use, carefully hold the bottle sideways, flick the cap open squeeze some out and replace cap and stand upside down again.

It works for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 22:13   #18
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=jambutty;378062][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
Incidentally Billcat our phrase is “scraping the barrel” meaning the same thing.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3/QUOTE]

Not quite Jambutty, 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' has always, meant to me', accepting less than what you really wanted; the least desirable. .
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 22:19   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Landlubber!

Scrapping the barrel originated in the old sailing ships of many years gone by to mean getting the last item out of the barrel.
Old 01-02-2007, 22:26   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I use Fairy liquid for washing up but once in a while I wipe the top clean of gunge.

Then when the liquid is getting down to a few millimetres I close the cap and stand it upside down.

To use, carefully hold the bottle sideways, flick the cap open squeeze some out and replace cap and stand upside down again.

It works for me.

Life's too short!...... I'll stick with the dishwasher.
Old 01-02-2007, 22:27   #21
white rabbits

Going back to tomato ketchup and even H.P. sauce,,, try a little viniger instead of water ,it dosent weaken the taste,,
Old 01-02-2007, 23:05   #22
Resident Waffler

It's irritating when people stop to chat in bunches in the middle of what we've got left of a market now. You can't get past or get to the stalls.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Life’s Little Annoyances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's irritating when people stop to chat in bunches in the middle of what we've got left of a market now. You can't get past or get to the stalls.
It’s even worse when they see that you want to get past, look straight at you and then turn away carrying on nattering and don’t move out of the way.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23   #24
God Member

Trying to open a packet of biscuits ) particularly Ginger Nuts for some reason, without breaking the first few into smithereens!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:51   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

I use a sharp knife to slice off the top.

It works for me.
Old 02-02-2007, 13:03   #26
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I seem to remember jambutty posting about over 65s practicing this just to annoy the younger end, apologies if i'm wrong jambutty.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 13:29   #27
God Member

I hate it when people slag you off on another website, probably thinking that you wouldn't look there in the first place!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 13:36   #28
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I seem to remember jambutty posting about over 65s practicing this just to annoy the younger end, apologies if i'm wrong jambutty.
oooh i would never do that.....
Old 02-02-2007, 16:32   #29
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I hate it when people slag you off on another website, probably thinking that you wouldn't look there in the first place!
Oooh who? what? where?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 16:38   #30
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Actually Ianto.W. it wasn’t stopping and chatting it was walking slowly and swerving from side to side in a supermarket aisle. The same as practicing standing at my front door waving a stick and shouting at kids playing in the street. Tongue in cheek!

I am the epitome of good manners in a supermarket. I look over my shoulder before moving off with my trolley and I don’t gaze at the shelves and carry on walking like many women do and in doing so they generally try to break my legs. When I approach a bottleneck and there is someone coming the other way I wave them through. This action does seem to upset anyone behind me though. I have my money ready to pay at the checkout, although it is not unknown for me to tease the checkout lady a little but it doesn’t hold things up. One of these days when the checkout girl ends our encounter with “see you later” I’m going to reply something like, “Ok! Where and when?”

I know that I can’t walk as fast as other people so I keep my trolley and me close into the side to allow others to pass me without hindrance.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..