Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2006, 18:22   #1
Resting in Peace

Light Pollution

Just heard something today on Radio about this ? Seems becoming some sort of law and can be find up to £5,000. The discussion was aimed mainly at security lights.

Some people aim them up to the sky using 850 w and, as was commented, is only effective if you are expecting an alien invasion from Mars. Some aim them not only at their own garden, but their neighbours and causes rude awakenings in the night.

Not guilty myself as bulb gone and need ladder to get up there, and after small extension, boiler ventilater now under it and heat causes it to go on and off all the time ... it also beeps inside so drove me insane.

Just one I know of near me at the t-junction, house facing down my avenue and nearly blinds me if it is on.

Have you lot thought if you may be annoying some of your neighbours with this facility ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2006, 19:30   #2
I am Banned

Re: Light Pollution

i have 2 examples of this pesky lights for you katex

1: if you go to bolton through darwen and over the tops just before you get to the tops there is a house on the corner with one of those security lights that have montion detectors

the stupid ba**tards have put it up so that when cars are coming toward the bend it almost blinds teh drivers

2: across from my house there is or should i say was a similar light that shone into my bedroom if somthing like a cat went into their back yard but when they moved out i smashed it off their wall before the new people moved in
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 19:41   #3

Grrrrr i got one of them flippin lights too across from me! if ya sneeze it comes on and lights half of ossy up!!! J
Old 21-03-2006, 21:53   #4
I am Banned

security lights

annoying? i hope so.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 22:19   #5
God Member

You can complain to enviromental health about that, they should tell em to move them.
All the new street lights are anti light pollution and have been for a while, I actually thought this law was already in infact. All the lights with a glass globe on top, the sort supermarkets use, now have the top half of the globe blacked out so the light doesn't shine up.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 22:29   #6
Resident Waffler

We have a motion sensative light outside our shed as part of our 'keep the burglars out' campaign since Busman had his bike nicked, but it isn't one of those nasty glaring things. It's only a 60w bulb but it annoys me sometimes when the flippin washing line sets it off.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 06:26   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The large 500w floodlights are over powered for a lot of security applications, especially if we are only talking about a smallish back yard. You should find that the smaller 150w halogens flood lights are ample for that. My back yard is an 'L' shape so I have 2 150w halogens with PIR's at about 7 feet high with the lamps pointing low. This gives ample light without annoying the nieghbours. Set the on time to only a couple of minutes and you will save a lot of electricity compared to the 500w halogens with long on times, like most are set.
Old 22-03-2006, 07:39   #8

yea i have one accross the bk from me tis well annoying especially when your trying to sleep and it comes on all of a sudden at 23.00. it sometimes detects us moving down stairs when the curtains are shut to...................
Old 22-03-2006, 07:43   #9
mez
God Member

mine annoys the neighbours acrtoss the back & theres annoys me so its quits .......when i told them i'd had my car broken into 5 times on the back parking area ....they did agree ....... my cam is set up as well .
Old 22-03-2006, 11:20   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
sometimes detects us moving down stairs when the curtains are shut to...................
No it doesn't, thats just coincidence. PIR's can't see through curtains or windows for that matter. If they did my house alarm would go off every time the window cleaner cleaned the windows.

Mez if your car keeps being broken into you need to get yourself a security Tinkerbelle. Have a look here
Old 22-03-2006, 13:04   #11
Resting in peace

I know they can be annoying, but that's usually because they are set wrongly and/or overpowered. My next-door neighbour has one that covers the access to our back door as well, so I don't need one. They are a very good deterrent to intruders, though, and I would certainly have one if I found it necessary. It's an even better deterrent if, every time it comes on, the neighbours come to their windows and look out!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 17:30   #12
Resting in Peace

Just wondering what is now going to happen at Christmas ... are the jealous neighbours now going to complain. Would be sad, love these house lights.

Mine (when working) lights up me bathroom .. problem is getting out of shower, you can't resist the urge to go downstairs and take a peek dripping wet !! Only ever seemed to be the ducks on my lawn, Thought these were cold blooded animals ??

Chav: Found yer own way of dealing with this nuisance I see; don't go givin folks ideas now.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 17:34   #13
land of hope and glory

very interesting this thread! and i thought light pollution was a babys botty burp
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 04:43   #14
God Member

Speaking of light pollution, and the use of electricity and the gas required to generate it and the governments committment to reducing carbon emissions, isn't it time that we looked at the profligate waste of electricity committed by LCC who operate lighting on Motorways?

Why is it that some sections of motoway are not lit at all - the M55 - and that is not deemed to be unsafe, while other sections - M6 - have so many lights that it is positively painfully bright.
According to one county council in the southeast, it costs £38 per year to run one street lamp. I cannot begin to imagine what the electricity bill must be like for LCC but I can imagine that if every other Motorway light was turned off the savings would be enormous and their part of the council tax would be significantly lower.
Old 23-03-2006, 04:48   #15
I am Banned

under the railway bridge in accy the lighst come on as a car approaches , wouldnt it be a good idea for motorway lights to do the same to save electricity
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..