Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2003, 22:16   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Link removed from Hyndburn BC website.

Quote:
I have a little request for you when you have the meetings with Hyndburn Councillors... Could you ask them why this site is deemed not good for Hyndburn and why they have removed the link from the hynburn council website! Also if you could spread the word about this website in your meetings as well!!  Cheers!   Roy

hmmm.

Well I know that HBC are soon supposed to be putting together a Community Portal site, rather like the Blackburn one Beonline Also that a moderated forum is supposed to be part of that. so maybe that's why. ???

**edit - this thread moved from here

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2003, 05:54   #2

Post Re: Hyndburn Youth Council

Could also be because the vast majority of the postings are obviously done by children.
Just a thought.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003, 19:14   #3

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Got to agree with the old fella, the moderators appear to be asleep. Almost every single topic on every board has degenerated into stupidity about jam, despite there being a board especially set aside for these moronic comments. People try to sell stuff and are ridiculed or misquoted purposely. Maybe the xmas party should be held at MacDonalds, more age appropriate I think.

(cue.. another unfunny response by the jam fraternity)

(apologies to Youth Worker for Hijacking the thread)
Old 21-11-2003, 20:43   #4
Caz
God Member

Another apology for highjacking this thread!
But it had to be said somewhere, and seeing as one post has already had to be deleted from this thread, it's as good a place as any.

I would have thought somebody would have put reports in by now, but it would appear not, as nothing is being done.

Anyone think there is a connection between ridiculous hijacking of threads in one form or another, be it jam, nasty replies, or otherwise, and the fact that the forum has been very quiet of late?
Even when we have a lot of people logged in, not many are posting. I wonder why ???

This is supposed to be an adult forum, or so  I thought. But even so, we were given a place to play in!
But as Guinness says, that doesn't seem to be enough.

Most people would like to come on and read or write interesting, informative, or entertaining posts. And for the threads to be kept reasonably on topic.

But once again its not happening.

I can only moderate the sections my user name are on, and they did seem to be reasonably in order. But it's getting so as I think what is the point!

I don't come on that often now, and it seems that if it carries on this way, more and more people are going to do the same, and there will be hardly any  sensible threads left.
People who do make them often tend to have their comments ridiculed or abused rather than answered in a sensible fashion.
Whether we agree with a person's opinions or not, there is a reasonable  way to go about stating such, without being nasty or silly.

We are  representing our town on here, in a way, so let's give people something reasonable to look at when they Google "Accrington" and find "Accringtonweb.com"

- Oscar Wilde
Old 21-11-2003, 21:09   #5
Roy
Administrator

[quote author=Guinness link=board=new;num=1069250825;start=0#4 date=11/21/03 at 20:14:53]Got to agree with the old fella, the moderators appear to be asleep. [/quote]

Agree people, but the moderators are not asleep. I have a life and have a lot on as well as this website, thats not to say I don't care and don't put a lot of time and effort into this website but users do not press the report button. Am I supposed to read through every single comment and find the dodgy ones myself? A little help from everyone by reporting posts that are unhelpful would go a long way to solving problems.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003, 21:16   #6
Resting in Peace

i have to agree with roy NO body is reporting i have not had a report for monthes
so if you think a post is in the wrong area PLEASE REPORT IT

As Cazzer has pointed out we can only moderate in our own areas of the board if we see anything wrong in other areas we have to report it to roy BUT this means we have to read all the posts which we sometimes just have no time to do
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 06:06   #7

With the greatest respect Mick, you have been one of the Jam Butty Brigade.
Old 22-11-2003, 09:24   #8
Resting in Peace

[quote author=Owd_Bert link=board=new;num=1069250825;start=0#8 date=11/22/03 at 07:06:11]With the greatest respect Mick, you have been one of the Jam Butty Brigade.[/quote]
SORRY Bert all the posts i have made about jam ARE in anything goes that is what its there for to have fun in and leave the more serious sections alone.
i have just gone through all the topics (since the board was alterd )and cant find a post i made that is not in anything goes but if there is one i appolagise but nobody REPORTED IT to me .
i admit i did post BEFORE THE RULES BUT NOT AFTER
Old 22-11-2003, 10:48   #9
Caz
God Member

Mmmm! Check again mick!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 22-11-2003, 11:14   #10
Resting in Peace

WHERE ??? ???
Old 22-11-2003, 20:09   #11
Accy Goddess

I will say sorry to Hyndburn Youth Council before I start.
The introduce your self section is not the place for this.
It's not very often I have a great deal to say for my self outside of the anything goes section but needs must and all that.
Guiness
I'm not sure if your drunk or just out to stir things up. If the latter it worked.
Owd bert.
Your right Mick is one of the Jam butty bigade has you put it.
Cazzer.
What are you on?
Take a chill pill.
Before the ban and Harry H saying what he had to say. you were has bad has the rest of us.
Now it seems you just have to see a piccy of a jam jar or Jam product and you break out in sweat.
Bet you an Harry both sit there seething. I cant see why the jam thing gets on your nerves all of a sudden.
A bit of harmless FUN never hurt anyone. I have gone through the threads an it took me ages.
I came across one posting on the 18th November that Mick did in the General section that made a reference to jam.
Like wow an hanging offence i'm sure.
There is a couple of refrences to jam in the buy and swap.
Myself and Happyone guilty as charged there but not an inapropriate refrence, considering.
There was an appropriate mention of jam in the party section.
Cazzer it's time you got a life girl if your nit picking about such petty things.
While i'm at it I might has well carry on and just get it all over and done with.
Guiness for your information you to Cazzer we have been through and in quite some depth the fact that there is nothing to say this is an adult only site.
We are all either childish or child like at some time or other and I for one wouldn't mind the xmas party being held in Mcdonalds.
The serious threads are left alone so just let the anything goes people or what did Owd Bert call us the Jam butty Brigade.
Join in you never know you just might have FUN...
Go on you know ya wanna.
It's Wee oops naughty. [smiley=evil.gif]
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 22:47   #12
Caz
God Member

Well yes, the introduce yourself section isn’t the place, that’s the main point isn’t it? But needs must as you say.

OK!

Yes I was a member of the silly fraternity for a while, back in the days when we hadn’t considered what the forum would look like to outsiders, or especially to those members using the previous posts lists. None of us lot really used those at the time, so hadn’t considered this. I realized the problem and stopped posting in silly threads out of consideration to other users.

(By the way some people do have the forum set so that they get an email alert when someone replies to their topics, so it must be doubly annoying to get an off topic reply).

Because Roy’s plea to keep things on topic, especially in serious threads, still went largely unheeded he then altered the forum, and gave us the anything goes section to do what we liked in.
Whether or not I post in there or not, is a matter of personal choice. Does that mean because mostly I don’t, now, that I need to “get a life”? That’s your opinion Anne.

Quote:
Now it seems you just have to see a piccy of a jam jar or Jam product and you break out in sweat.
Bet you an Harry both sit there seething. I cant see why the jam thing gets on your nerves all of a sudden

A bit over the top wouldn’t you say Anne? Seeing as I never mentioned it until Guinness and Owd Bert did!

Yes they gave their opinions, that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? Why is someone giving an opinion stirring things up?

Yes there are a few jam references, but lets not go into that, maybe we don’t see the same things!

But it’s actually not just jam we’re on about is it? Just that you picked up on that part of it.
Why just that? We’re also on about people not being taken seriously, people being ridiculed, people completely changing topics on threads, people being abusive or nasty. Any objection to that?

As you say, there is no mention of this being an adult site, but I thought we went into that issue when we were talking about the new forum and the 12 year old. I thought the general consensus was that kids and forums were not a good idea. But that’s a bit off the point don’t you think?

What I meant was that we seem to be in the main, adults, and a lot of people would like to come on and read something of interest.

The fact that there is a silent majority out there who won’t say anything about it should be of concern to us all, if we want to keep this forum going.
Would you rather they just didn’t bother to come back to the forum because they are fed up with it?

How many forums have closed down because of this, because people aren’t seeing what they want to see when they log on? They just go somewhere else instead. As I said have you noticed how quiet the forum’s been lately?

Roy developed this forum for the whole community in Accy. for discussion, to share opinions & information etc, as well as having a laugh.
He works hard on it, we don't want this one go the same way.

Hey, I like a joke as much as anyone Anne, I’ve posted quite a few. I love a laugh!
And the fact that you ask me "what I’m on",  tell me to “take a chill pill” and to “get a life” just because I’m not into posting about jam and such, I find insulting , and quite ridiculous.

And I wouldn’t have said that to you on the forum, even if I thought it!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 23-11-2003, 06:10   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

@Anne. I'm not out to stir things up, just pointing out some facts, and if you'd care to actually check some of the threads in the 'serious ' sections you would see that my statement holds true. It seems that everyone except you posting in this thread appears to agree, including the creator of the site.

I am not without a sense of humour and if I saw anything remotely amusing about making a post containing only the word 'dodgers' or 'jam' then I would. If you find it amusing then post away, but keep it to the anything goes section.

Join in with the Grown-Ups, you just might have something to contribute.
Go on, You know you wanna
Old 23-11-2003, 06:31   #14

This thread got under way because Roy was concerned as to why the Link had been severed.

May I respectfully suggest that those that find Jam in any form, boobs, profane language, sexual innuendo etc etc fun, co-operate and start their own Web Site.

If they did I would be one of the first to join the site ( maybe for the boobs !! -- age is no barrier to an appreciative eye )

But -- let`s clean up this Site.
Old 23-11-2003, 22:12   #15

where do u see the  language  bert please tell us  
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..