Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2009, 20:05   #31
God Member

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's reassuring to know patronising and sexist attitudes are alive and well in Nu-Tory Lite.

No councillor, regardless of gender, should be forced to stay anywhere they are at risk.

There's no evidence that anyone would be more 'at risk' in a reasonably priced hotel than they would be at the Ritz.
It's not like you to skip a post and jump at a chance to miss a point. It's not sexist to point out that female councillors may feel unsafe where male ones don't, as a lady earlier in this thread and a female councillor expressed, without being jumped on by anybody, from any side.
Old 22-01-2009, 20:07   #32
God Member

I know he's put a few pounds on over the years, but you surely can't be referring to our esteemed leader, Councillor Britcliffe, as 'the fat of the land' can you?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 23:07   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
'Course, one way of cutting this expense down is to go in twos and share a room, as most hotels now only charge per room ....
Who'd want to share a room with Britcliffe.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 23:14   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I know he's put a few pounds on over the years, but you surely can't be referring to our esteemed leader, Councillor Britcliffe, as 'the fat of the land' can you?
thats very unfair yerself, leave "Bunter" alone.
Old 23-01-2009, 02:31   #35
Junior Member+

Question Re: Living off the fat of the land.

I reckon that all politicians should go on minimum wage for a year
MRWOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 10:33   #36
Senior Member+

he can go and get a happy meal from macdonalds for £2, its a meal (alledgedly) its less than a tenner... in fact for a tenner he can have 5 ! yaaaay me!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 17:57   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
he can go and get a happy meal from macdonalds for £2, its a meal (alledgedly) its less than a tenner... in fact for a tenner he can have 5 ! yaaaay me!
There's also a KFC just round the corner from Whitehall, on the Strand, where you can eat in.

He could sit in there and guzzle a full family bucket for only £9.95.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 18:37   #38
Senior Member+

i'm interested to know what they class as a meal.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 01:38   #39
God Member

Glad to see your no party allegiance stance has sparked you into condemning the double standards within the opposing party on expenses too Garinda.
Old 27-01-2009, 07:40   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

This is LCC allowances I found on their website, it would appear they don't have a limit as such as anything over the allowance can be claimed on production of receipts.

Quote:
Overnight Accommodation

Where the nature of the duties being undertaken result in a councillor or
co-opted member being absent from his/her usual place of residence,
overnight accommodation will be booked and paid directly by the County
Council.
In exceptional circumstances where it is not possible for the County
Council to make a direct booking on behalf of a councillor or co-opted
member, the actual receipted cost of accommodation, including breakfast,
will be reimbursed to the councillor or co-opted member. Such
reimbursement will be subject to a maximum allowance per night of £129
for London and £113 elsewhere in the UK.

Day Subsistence

A councillor or co-opted member may claim up to the following maximum
amounts when absent for the periods stated below from their normal place
of residence:
(a) a period less than 4 hours - £5.65
(b) a period between 4 and 8 hours - £11.25
(c) a period between 8 and 12 hours - £22.50
(d) a period in excess of 12 hours - £33.75
Actual expenditure in excess of £33.75 may be reimbursed subject to the
production of receipts.

Last edited by Neil; 27-01-2009 at 07:45.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 08:00   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Glad to see your no party allegiance stance has sparked you into condemning the double standards within the opposing party on expenses too Garinda.
You'll just have to accept the fact, that unlike yourself, being a member of the Conservatives as you are, that I have no hidden agenda to push, and no party line to follow.

This leaves me free to say what I actually think about any given issue, and either praise or criticise as I see fit, as witnessed by my recent negative comments about the present government in the Lordy Lordy thread.

Freedom from wearing political blinkers is a wonderful thing. I feel sorry that you can't enjoy it too.

Old 27-01-2009, 10:15   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You'll just have to accept the fact, that unlike yourself, being a member of the Conservatives as you are, that I have no hidden agenda to push, and no party line to follow.

This leaves me free to say what I actually think about any given issue, and either praise or criticise as I see fit, as witnessed by my recent negative comments about the present government in the Lordy Lordy thread.

Freedom from wearing political blinkers is a wonderful thing. I feel sorry that you can't enjoy it too.
Perhaps you should have some real independent convictions then, and come down hard on Labour for expenses hypocrisy too. You're somewhat similar to a oiled worm , slipping your way out of situations, with an argument we both know is not an entirely sensible one to repeat. You're a stuck record, so I'll give my stuck response; everybody has 'blinkers', because everyone has opinions. You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs. One belief I have in this thread, is that Labour have been entirely hypocritical on expenses, which is down right shameful. Perhaps you don't share it, perhaps you should defend them, perhaps you'll even continue giving this response of avoidance. I must inform you though, this isn't an application for the Daily Mail, no doubt your current logic would work wonders though.
Old 27-01-2009, 10:43   #43
Give, give, give member

[quote=andrewb;672821] You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs.[quote]

Most close to?

You are an active member of the Conservative party.

I've never found any one party whose policies mirror my own, therefore I choose not to affiliate myself to any party by joining their ranks.

If you can manage to see past your blinkers you'd understand that my comparing this government with the morally corrupt one of John Major's, in relation to the latest scandals, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

I shall continue commenting on things I think are important from my non-partisan position.

You are free to continue pushing your one party agenda.

Most of us realise that your viewpoint is somewhat skewed by this, and make allowances for you.

Old 27-01-2009, 11:08   #44
Resting in Peace

[quote=garinda;672829][quote=andrewb;672821] You're aware I'm most close to the Conservative party, because they most closely share my beliefs.
Quote:

Most close to?

You are an active member of the Conservative party.

I've never found any one party whose policies mirror my own, therefore I choose not to affiliate myself to any party by joining their ranks.

If you can manage to see past your blinkers you'd understand that my comparing this government with the morally corrupt one of John Major's, in relation to the latest scandals, isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

I shall continue commenting on things I think are important from my non-partisan position.

You are free to continue pushing your one party agenda.

Most of us realise that your viewpoint is somewhat skewed by this, and make allowances for you.
I don't
Old 27-01-2009, 11:35   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
You're a stuck record
Personally the only time my needle seems stuck is when I've said something the Tory clique on Accy Web don't want to hear.

Then I have to repeat myself again and again, and give examples, of both praise and criticism I've made of both ends of the political spectrum, thus proving my impartial stand.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..