Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2017, 12:14   #46
Full Member+

Re: load of mischief/ hare and hounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Well, I thought my eyes were playing tricks, because I lived at number 19 Blackburn Rd, Clayton, where the house used to be a Police Station and after that it was a fish & chip shop. we moved 1969. The bus stop outside The Load, was A Ribble stop to Blackburn, on the opposite corner, it was Hodsons furniture shop. There was the Load of Mischief pub, then west's Gararge, then the Cinema, first the Star, then the Carlton, Star Ally ran down the side, then there was a butchers shop, a green grocers, & a Dry cleaners, then Clayton St. I can go onto the next block, and so on . By the way there was a large stone set in number 19, with Police Station & the coat of arms on it. the bus from Accrington stoped outside the Coop Butchers, on the other side of the lights on Whalley Road.
The butchers next to the star was Joe Simpsons the grocers Irene Stanworths cant remember the name of the person from the dry cleaners just remember she was a nice blond women.Also remember the butchers over the road where the bus stopped was run by big Vinney (Vincent) before the coop.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2017, 12:33   #47
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
I think they knocked it down in the early seventies. I used to go to Night School in Rishton and we'd changed buses at that corner. Then catch the bus to go into Accy.
I think it came down late 70s early 80s. Just before the motorway opened 82ish they had a 10k road race from Burnley which was won by a friend of mine, also in that race was a guy from Burnley Tommy? who ran with a bag of cement on his back.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 19:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Well, I thought my eyes were playing tricks, because I lived at number 19 Blackburn Rd, Clayton, where the house used to be a Police Station and after that it was a fish & chip shop. we moved 1969. The bus stop outside The Load, was A Ribble stop to Blackburn, on the opposite corner, it was Hodsons furniture shop. There was the Load of Mischief pub, then west's Gararge, then the Cinema, first the Star, then the Carlton, Star Ally ran down the side, then there was a butchers shop, a green grocers, & a Dry cleaners, then Clayton St. I can go onto the next block, and so on . By the way there was a large stone set in number 19, with Police Station & the coat of arms on it. the bus from Accrington stoped outside the Coop Butchers, on the other side of the lights on Whalley Road.
You mentioned west's garage. I have been trying to find information on that.
My wifes uncle was a owner / mechanic in the early days, also reported as running the first taxi in clayton.
any ideas on history
pwho is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..