Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 07:58   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Local Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
It beats me why party politics plays any part in local councils. Our representatives on the council need to be able to fight for local issues on behalf of the voters.

Come to think of it, by the same argument, I don't know why party politics plays any part in general elections, MPs should represent their constituencies, not the party line.
It shouldnt play any part, but it happens to be the only chance us oiks have of getting the arrogant gets to listen,
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
It beats me why party politics plays any part in local councils. Our representatives on the council need to be able to fight for local issues on behalf of the voters.

Come to think of it, by the same argument, I don't know why party politics plays any part in general elections, MPs should represent their constituencies, not the party line.
I have always said that party politics has no place in local government.
It is a totally different animal to national politics.
I never take any notice of which party the candidates are from....I judge them on their ability to do the job.
In that respect I like them to be a resident of the area that they are a candidate for....believing that they will want to make their environment safe, clean, pleasant and well supported by services.

I do not trust those who are parachuted in....because they are NOT going to have the best interests of their voters/residents at the centre of what they do....they are going to have their own political agenda....much like our own representative.

In general elections....I vote with my brains. I do not follow any specific party.
I look at what they are promising(knowing full well that promises are like pie crust...easy to break) and how these promises are going to be effected.
I have always felt that a local person who knows the difficulties and the concerns of the voters, the problems being faced in our locality, would perform better.
And that was where I went wrong last time.
Our current MP looks (on paper) to be the ideal candidate to fulfil these criteria....but experience has shown that he is not for the town...he is for himself and his own agenda.
I will not make this mistake again.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-05-2019 at 08:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:26   #18
God Member

Agree, Morecambe, and the disfunction of party politics is exemplified by the current nonsense where we have:
1. a rabid remainder Prime Minister pretending to the country and her party that she’s delivering a deal to leave the EUSSR, and
2. the leader of the opposition, a life-long leaver, pretending to the country and his party that he doesn’t want to leave.
So much for principles in politics.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30   #19
Beacon of light

Cashy, it looks like something in the region of Thirty nine thousand voters spoiled their paper in disgust at politics.
cashman likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:38   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
So much for principles in politics.
I am sorry to say that the idea of morals, ethics and principles in politics is long dead.
A bit like manners and democracy.
Jeremy Corbyn is just an opportunistic politician....he jumps on whatever bandwagon the youth of the country are hooked up to.
Right now it is climate change that is the current flavour of the month.
He does this to capture the votes of those who are idealistic and gullible(because they have very little real life experience).
A bit like the promise he made to abolish University tuition fees(anyone with half a brain would be asking where the cash to do this, was coming from).
Old 04-05-2019, 08:45   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sorry to say that the idea of morals, ethics and principles in politics is long dead.
A bit like manners and democracy.
Jeremy Corbyn is just an opportunistic politician....he jumps on whatever bandwagon the youth of the country are hooked up to.
Right now it is climate change that is the current flavour of the month.
He does this to capture the votes of those who are idealistic and gullible(because they have very little real life experience).
A bit like the promise he made to abolish University tuition fees(anyone with half a brain would be asking where the cash to do this, was coming from).
True and that just goes to show how gullible many of these so called students are!!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:17   #22
Beacon of light

They just have not got the experience to see through him...or to question what he says.
You do not make the poor richer by making the rich poorer.
Those with money have the choices of where to take it....and many of those 'rich' are politicians.
Not that they would see it that way...and that is where the problems lie.
Our politicians do not live the lives that the electorate live...so they can appreciate none of the difficulties.
Health care, education, social deprivation....those things are just soundbites to them.
They mean nothing in real terms.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-05-2019 at 09:20.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47   #23
God Member

Quote:
Our politicians do not live the lives that the electorate live...so they can appreciate none of the difficulties.
Health care, education, social deprivation....those things are just soundbites to them.
They mean nothing in real terms.
they never have and never will and thats why they spout a lot of rubbish which most do not agree with but still get votes because they belong to a party that a person has always voted for. any idiot could get voted in as long as they are a labour candidate in places like barnsley and hartlepool .
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 17:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
they never have and never will and thats why they spout a lot of rubbish which most do not agree with but still get votes because they belong to a party that a person has always voted for. any idiot could get voted in as long as they are a labour candidate in places like barnsley and hartlepool .
Did a monkey not once stand as a candidate for Hartlepool. hence your monicker? Or was that Hull?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 18:19   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Did a monkey not once stand as a candidate for Hartlepool. hence your monicker? Or was that Hull?
The successful mayoral candidate in the 2002 local elections, Stuart Drummond, campaigned dressed in the costume of H’Angus the Monkey, using the election slogan “free bananas for schoolchildren”, a promise he was unfortunately unable to keep. However this appears not to have dented his popularity, as he went on to be re-elected two more times.

Whatever the truth, the legend of Hartlepool and the hanged monkey has endured for over 200 years.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 13-05-2019, 17:32   #26
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post

I believe it was during the napoleonic wars a Monkey was washed ashore from a shipwreck, the locals not understanding "Monkey" assumed he was a French spy & hung the unfortunate creature.

Or so the legend/myth runs.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 13-05-2019, 17:35   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I believe it was during the napoleonic wars a Monkey was washed ashore from a shipwreck, the locals not understanding "Monkey" assumed he was a French spy & hung the unfortunate creature.

Or so the legend/myth runs.
That’s what I’ve always understood how the legend came about.
Old 13-05-2019, 17:49   #28
Beacon of light

I would think a monkey would be far more handsome than any Frenchie.
Poor blooming monkey!
Old 30-05-2019, 02:00   #29

Quote:
I would think a monkey would be far more handsome than any Frenchie.
Poor blooming monkey!
What would Macron think?
harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 07:04   #30
Beacon of light

Are you trying to tell me that Macron actually has the power of critical thought?

I would trust the monkey before him....but then that goes for a lot of our own politicians too.
Especially our own elected representative.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..