Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2019, 20:29   #1
Full Member+

Local Elections

To be honest I couldn't be bothered to vote for either of the candidates on my local ward and I don't think I'm going to vote in the European elections later this month, as we should have been out of Europe and hence should have been no need for them.
Old 02-05-2019, 21:19   #2

Re: Local Elections

I took my dogs for a late walk, got to the polling station at 9:57.
asked who was standing (only conservative and labour) and walked home without entering.

Maybe Ill stand next year, for another party.
IS the raving loony party still going? lol
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 21:21   #3
Beacon of light

Well, I actually went down to the polling station....I got my ballot paper....put a very large cross troughboth names and wrote 'politics = disillusion.
So my vote will not count.
I will go to the polling station for the European elections and will very likely do something similar.
My husband did not vote, neither did my son in law....they both feel that voting serves no useful purpose if the vote can b disregarded as easily as out vote to leave the EU has been disregarded.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:36   #4

Well, if you really want to put the cat among the pigeons in the European elections.
Vote for Tommy Robinson

That will upset them all.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:53   #5
God Member

Down here we only had the usual Three Stooges Parties so, for the first time ever, we spoilt our ballot papers, writing “none of these parties” across the names.
One thing that probably won’t get mentioned in the me-jah, but could be interesting, is the % of spoiled ballot papers. Suspect it will be a big increase.
Bring on the Eurine elections!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:39   #6
Beacon of light

We only had two candidates on our ballot paper. Neither of whom I could vote for....so I wrote my message on my paper.
It seems that there have been a lot of spoiled papers....reportedly 800 in Ipswich.
The number of spoiled ballot slips have delayed the results because apparently the spoiled papers have to be verified by a count supervisor.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:01   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why do they not disclose how many "Spoilt" Ballot Papers have been submitted? at each polling station,
Old 03-05-2019, 13:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Why do they not disclose how many "Spoilt" Ballot Papers have been submitted? at each polling station,
I have a feeling that they do, Cashy, but it’s rarely reported and/or readily admitted by the parties.
Old 03-05-2019, 14:14   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I have a feeling that they do, Cashy, but it’s rarely reported and/or readily admitted by the parties.
Possibly but they certainly do not disclose or report them. would be very interesting to know do yeh not think?
Old 03-05-2019, 16:00   #10
God Member

Cashy,
If this link works, you should be able to see quite a comprehensive breakdown of ‘rejected’ ballot papers in Hyndburn.
Will listen out to see if anyone analyses the % of spoiled ballot papers, nationally, compared with previous years.

https://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downlo...V3mZ2sHbksWdLu
Old 03-05-2019, 17:26   #11
Beacon of light

Thank you for that link.
The turnout was abysmal.
Even though my vote did not count, I DID take myself off to the polling station(which I do regardless of the type of election....local or general) I would hate to think that anyone considered me too idle/apathetic to drop my paper in the box.
Old 03-05-2019, 17:44   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Cashy,
If this link works, you should be able to see quite a comprehensive breakdown of ‘rejected’ ballot papers in Hyndburn.
Will listen out to see if anyone analyses the % of spoiled ballot papers, nationally, compared with previous years.

https://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downlo...V3mZ2sHbksWdLu
Cheers mate i was one of the 70 odd lol seems to me most people didn't bother full stop.
Old 03-05-2019, 19:24   #13
Full Member+

I think most of the votes are now in, except Northern Ireland. Biggest losers Conservatives, the biggest winners seem to be the small parties like the Lib Dems, Green and Independents.

Party Councillors Change +/-
Conservative 3549 -1327
Labour 2009 -77
Liberal Democrat 1339 +695
Green 264 +193
UKIP 31 -144
Others 1165 +658
Old 03-05-2019, 20:20   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well, like so many I have to admit I just couldn't bring myself to go to the polls, probably like me a large amount of people are sick to the back teeth with claims before an election of how we and our votes matter.
But then after the votes are counted whosoever gets the majority promptly discounts any of our wishes.
Come the next general election however I will be casting my vote hopefully so will all the other non voters I just hope it brings us a different M.P., someone that tells us before the election that they think a brace of miniscule but broad beams has more chance of understanding the EU than I have.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:47   #15
Full Member+

It beats me why party politics plays any part in local councils. Our representatives on the council need to be able to fight for local issues on behalf of the voters.

Come to think of it, by the same argument, I don't know why party politics plays any part in general elections, MPs should represent their constituencies, not the party line.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..