Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2022, 22:40   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Local elections

It never ceases to amaze me that people vote for/against local politicians based on the policies or personalities of national elections.

There is no doubt that our PM has got it wrong numerous times, for example with partygate, with the £350 million NHS slogan, with trusting his right hand man but he’s got it right with Ukraine, right with dealing with Merkel, Macron and Van der Leyden, right with Covid and currently trying to get it right with the criminal gangs working between Calais and the south coast.

There are also quite a few numpties on the conservative benches…but then again there are the equivalent number of numpties on the other side and also in the middle.

But with regard to our local council elections……

I’ve yet to see one single post on social media from ANY local Labour politician telling me what they intend to do for my area,

NOT A SINGLE ONE!.

I have seen numerous posts from our ex MP claiming to be ‘on the knock’ and that people are angry at Boris etc.. but without a SINGLE mention of what his party are offering to the local electorate.

NOT ONE SINGLE POST!! NOT ONE SINGLE PROPOSITION THAT WOULD BENEFIT HYNDBURN!!!

I’m seeing the local Labour party in total disarray, with allegations of bullying, threats of libel against anyone who speaks out, alleged attempts at rigging by offering independents high profile positions, mass resignations of long standing Labour councillors, concerns about planning, bankrupt labour councillors, retired labour councillors dragged out of said retirement standing in other wards to make the numbers up for the Putinesque power grab.

Oswaldtwistle cemetery, Huncoat garden village, Highams , King Georges , Town Centre, Market Hall, Redcap, Amazing Accrington, SDA etc..etc..

But yeah…Boris went to a party so vote for your clueless puppet councillor and sod Hyndburn!
Old 15-04-2022, 07:50   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Local elections

One of the fail safes for me is that whilst our ex MP is still involved with the local labour party, then labour will never again get my vote, (in fact if they were to lock him away in a sanatorium and throw away the key, I wouldn't vote for labour ever again because the whole party seems built on his type of attitude).

So, if the only alternative While I'm on This one way trip to hell would be a guy that likes his party to party a little, I think I can live with that far more easily than labours attempts at dicktatorship.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 09:56   #3
Beacon of light

If you go back over the years….I have said that when voting at local elections you should look at who will represent YOUR local area and the issues of concern in that area.
National party politics should never influence this vote if you want what is best for you locally.
In fact it would please me greatly if the political party banners were ditched for local politics.
You need to suspend your party dogmas when looking at local needs.

Guinness you are spot on in what you say….but you have to remember that the ex-MP is ex for a reason…..he failed us….and did it in epic fashion.
If he comes knocking on my door….we’ll just don’t would be my advice

Oh and as for Partygate…it is a witch hunt….a distraction and the sooner the media move on from this the better.
I really DO NOT CARE about what went on last June…I am more concerned with what is going on in the world NOW.
nicola68 and taddy like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-04-2022 at 09:59.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 10:18   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

graham jones used to stand with our crowd when he came up stanley since he called people thick in the local press for voting BREXIT he aint been near us up yon,that could well be what i said back to it in the local media i dont know, but thats the favourite in my book,i had voted Labour all my life but never since that.and never wil again.
Old 17-04-2022, 22:42   #5

Face book has been a fun watch tonight

A prospective labour councillor 'on the knock', has 'allegedly' caused a video to be removed from you tube under threat of legal action. Scuttlebut is prospective councillor 'allegedly' told a porkie, dont know if thats true or not but no smoke without fire is kicking in with me.

Meanwhile within an hour GJ has finally posted about the bullying within the labour party and apparently has been throwing the ban hammer around at anyone who challenges his version of events. Smokescreen anyone?

Posts have been removed right, left and centre (well maybe right and left )..

All the tories need to do is sit watching Netflix as the local labour party under the current guidance sinks into the mariana trench
Old 18-04-2022, 19:44   #6

Graham Jones on Facebook last night was like reading Vlad the Impaler`s account of how he nurtured the Ottoman`s and looked after the peasants as well.
Excruciatingly naive,self centered and back stabbing of the highest order.
I suspect his post was removed when posts turned to highlight the oversize warehouse development at Knuzden and the inexplicable lack from GJ of any objection to the proposed Muslim cemetery at West End.
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 21:02   #7
Beacon of light

He did zero for the town as our MP….so nothing new there.
I am not interested in what he did for people in the Yemen….it was not in his remit….and for him to promote his saintly work is a joke.
I wonder if this man can walk on water too
Oh how we were duped!
Old 19-04-2022, 14:05   #8

[
Oh and as for Partygate…it is a witch hunt….a distraction and the sooner the media move on from this the better.
I really DO NOT CARE about what went on last June…I am more concerned with what is going on in the world NOW.[/QUOTE]

I will second both of those comments Marge.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 14:16   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The media will NOT move on taddy most of them support the SCUM thats destroyed the LABOUR.
Old 19-04-2022, 14:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
graham jones used to stand with our crowd when he came up stanley since he called people thick in the local press for voting BREXIT he aint been near us up yon,that could well be what i said back to it in the local media i dont know, but thats the favourite in my book,i had voted Labour all my life but never since that.and never wil again.
After "trying" to maintain and repair Materials Handling equipment,(a fancy name for fork lift trucks and the like)and also being a staunch trade unionist when Derek Hatton and his cronies held industry in a strangle hold throughout Liverpool, St Helens, etc and have not improved over the years, I stopped voting Labour and when Butcher Blair and Commie Corben took the party to new lows I have no intention of ever putting my cross on an election paper for anyone who ever says that they stand/crouch/sit or lie, for the Labour, AKA, communist thinking party ever again. (Rant Over, Time to calm down with a couple or three pints of Hobgoblin.
Old 19-04-2022, 15:08   #11
Beacon of light

I have never voted for just a single party.
I look at what they are putting forward as their aims for us….the electorate.
I vote for the party that I think will best serve the electorate…..and I give them some leeway because ALL parties will promise you the moon on a stick and a bag to put it in….just to get your X in their box
My biggest mistake was voting for GJones….believing that he had the interests of his hometown at the heart of his aims.
I thought that he would be more honest than he was…I did not apply my usual rules.
Won’t do that again…he won’t fool me twice.

Labour ceased being the working persons party a long time ago….and that man Blair made the party almost as close to Tory as you could be without actually calling yourself Tory.
He knew nothing of the difficulties of working people because he was a rich man.
He gave us sound bites, but not much substance and he opened the doors to all and sundry as a means of forcing multiculturalism on us.
It did not add to our quality of life and diluted our own culture ( to the detriment as far as I am concerned).
These are just my thoughts on the political fabric of this country.
taddy likes this.
Old 22-04-2022, 23:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I stopped voting Labour and when Butcher Blair and Commie Corben took the party to new lows I have no intention of ever putting my cross on an election paper for anyone who ever says that they stand/crouch/sit or lie, for the Labour, AKA, communist thinking party ever again. (Rant Over, Time to calm down with a couple or three pints of Hobgoblin.
Nail on the head my friend.. what these current buffoons fail to realise is that old gits like us, working class, former card carrying members were sold down the river, ignored and finally looked down upon by our previous MP who thought his opinion trumped his constituents and we will never put the old 'kiss' next to whatever mish mash of halfwits are proposed as candidates again.

Locally they seem to be in a nasty internal war about who should be nominated for the next candidate for MP. Sheesh! I wish I was a rocket scientist then I would be able to work out who was pulling the strings here and attempting to load the bases.

Nationally Labour are led by someone who is 'greyer' than John Major ever was, who, despite being a lawyer, is unable to define 'woman' out of fear of the wokes, Rayner (tory scum comment), Abbot (math genius), Cooper (property magnate) and who can forget Emily Thornberry who sneeringly tweeted a picture of a white van outside a house with England flags displayed ..when he was simply a working man supporting England during the Euros....and they are all millionaires....but yeah they have their finger on the pulse of the needs of their consituents, especially Thornberry, who is still stealing a living as an MP!

Politics aside there was a time when a local councillor actually lived in the area that they represented....the Springhill candidate lives in Baxenden, both candidates for Huncoat need a telescope and a satnav to even find the area, one guy up for Rishton lives in Clitheroe and two people from Blackburn are looking for a seat in Hyndburn....is there any wonder why there is apathy and less than 50% can be bothered?
Old 23-04-2022, 15:26   #13
Beacon of light

You talk about nails…head…hit.
Guinness, you never made a truer post…or if you did I missed it.
Well said that man. I endorse every word of it.
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 23-04-2022, 19:59   #14

And me.
Old 06-05-2022, 23:46   #15

Well...this has to be a loss for xMP (as he likes to style himself on twitter where his comments are always ignored by his former colleagues)

Despite his bestie 'old sleepy head' Dawson being dragged out of semi retirement, his significant other finally becoming a councillor after a couple of failed attempts in her own area, 'winning' (just about) in one of the safest Labour seats and the usual 'Trump type' voter fraud allegations that he makes pretty much every election, Hyndburn Labour party failed to gain a majority. (Probably helped by the candidate for Huncoat who managed to turn a massive majority into a massive loss after insulting her electorate on facebook before deleting her post which was promptly reposted as a screenshot for all to see)

My bet is that the incumbent independent councillors will give this council a tory majority for the timebeing.

First facebook post from failed Labour candidate Stewart Eaves wasn't a 'lets see if your bins are emptied on time, fly tipping will increase, planning will allow rockets to be built in back gardens or the town centre will become an even bigger wasteland'......nope...... it was 'serves you right if the cost of living bites you in the backside'.

This comment highlights what is intrinsically wrong with Hyndburn Labour, they are more focused on national than local issues, and do not have any local agenda.

Election leaflets about equality and diversity, as though us northern muppets needing educating (despite us having a labour female lady mayor almost 60 years ago and currently having a young female MP)

Working class does not mean thick! Carry on trying to teach your Grandma to suck eggs Hyndburn Labour

Last edited by Guinness; 06-05-2022 at 23:49.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..