Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 10:11   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: lock your windows in huncoat village

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You need to be careful what you say people or they'll come & get you !

NewsNow: Loading story...
They can stuff, the lucky heather and pegs too Dave
Old 10-02-2011, 19:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Each borough is supposed to make provision for 'travellers' (as we're now obliged to call them) and Hyndburn has set aside far more land than it needed to. Other boroughs have little or none
What name would you prefer to call these people ? I hope not the insulting one that the thread started with.

As for how much land should be set aside, surely that should be decided independently of the amount other boroughs have decided on. It should be "How much is right?" not "How little can we get away with".
ExistenceIsSuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 18:43   #33
Senior Member+

Or they can just set up camp behind the Health Centre on Blackburn Road, as they have already done....
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickler View Post
just to inform you all in the knwo that huncoat has the lowest crime figures in the whole of hyndburn so if you prefer to live in church or ossy your choice but huncoat has a good reputation for anti social behaviour and burgulary so before you start slagging huncoat check your facts TEALEAF (apt name)
Huncoats crime figures are low because they dont steal from their neighbours they steal from other areas. Plus it's harder to steal from a house with boarded up windows
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 22:34   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well have to say yeh were correct in yer introductory post......... i will probably learn to ignore yeh at least. though its a great shame yer stuck here.
Mmmm spot on Cashy, think alot of people will agree.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 07:42   #36
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceIsSuffering View Post
"Gypo" and "*****" are offensive words, not just colourful local colloquialisms. The fact that worse words can be used doesn't excuse using these words. As a councillor I would have expected you to realise this. You don't think <the shortening of the word "Pakistan"> and "nigger" are just slang, do you?
I'd have chosen my own argument rather better as I think you'll find that 'nigger' is perfectly acceptable as a greeting between black people, it simply becomes unacceptable when used by anyone else.

Becoming a councillor hasn't suddenly rendered me devoid of my own thoughts or left me in some sort of politically correct nightmare where I question everything I say for fear of upsetting someone. Context, as I've said so often previously, is a wonderful thing for taking things out of.

If Existence really Is Suffering for you then I think that calling someone a 'gypo' is the least of your worries.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:57   #37

Quote:
If Existence really Is Suffering for you then I think that calling someone a 'gypo' is the least of your worries.
It's just a forum nickname and it's not the topic of this conversation. Have you really not advanced since the playground where when someone is losing an argument they go off on a tangent and make fun of the other person's name?
Old 27-02-2011, 09:45   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's just a forum nickname and it's not the topic of this conversation. Have you really not advanced since the playground where when someone is losing an argument they go off on a tangent and make fun of the other person's name?
You use a name like that you can expect to get stick on a site like this
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48   #39

Angry Re: lock your windows in huncoat village

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Do you have a little book, with politically correct words listed, that Accy Web members can possibly use?

For years people have been struggling on here, so as not to upset the fragile.

The only member who won't need your list happens to be a gypsy. Who said he didn't care what daft names people wanted to label him with, because he has self-confidence in who he is.

You're trying to turn this around so that I'm somehow "fragile" and sensitive, and you're even saying that any gypsy who is offended by the terms doesn't have self-confidence.

It's astounding. All I'm saying is please don't use offensive, racist terms and yet a whole bunch of you on here are threatening to ignore me because of it and we even have a councillor who seems to think the words "gypo" and "*****" are ok.

Well, they aren't. They are racist and offensive IN THE EYES OF THE LAW. People can and have been found guilty in court for using these words. Please read the article below:

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | How offensive is the word '*****'?

Now, if using words like "*****" is a racist offensive, punishable by law, how can anyone on this forum dare to tell me that I'm being over-sensitive and that they'll ignore me in future? I'm the sane one here, and the law of the land agrees with me.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You're trying to turn this around so that I'm somehow "fragile" and sensitive, and you're even saying that any gypsy who is offended by the terms doesn't have self-confidence.

It's astounding. All I'm saying is please don't use offensive, racist terms and yet a whole bunch of you on here are threatening to ignore me because of it and we even have a councillor who seems to think the words "gypo" and "*****" are ok.

Well, they aren't. They are racist and offensive IN THE EYES OF THE LAW. People can and have been found guilty in court for using these words. Please read the article below:

Now, if using words like "*****" is a racist offensive, punishable by law, how can anyone on this forum dare to tell me that I'm being over-sensitive and that they'll ignore me in future? I'm the sane one here, and the law of the land agrees with me.
Ok dear, you've got that off your chest.

Now calm down, before you give yourself a nasty turn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39   #41
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ok dear, you've got that off your chest.

Now calm down, before you give yourself a nasty turn.

It seems that Accyweb has its fair share of infrequent posters who pop on occasionally to give the proverbial a good stir to try and leg people up and trick them into saying something which they'll regret.

The fact that none of them have a v-card makes you wonder just who is creating the profiles.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:

The Oxford History of English notes that young people who use chav or ***** to identify a contemporary style of dress or general demeanour suggests an aimless "street" lifestyle, unaware of the Romany origin, of the first or of connotation with "gypsy".

It states that it refers to itinerant people of all kinds, and been used by travelling people to refer to those of low caste.

Scally, a corresponding label originating in the North West of England was taken up by the media and several websites, only to be superseded by the term chav.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg *****.jpg (4.9 KB, 0 views)

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh well, that's me. A moaner. I wasn't born here, I've only been here 10 years so I'm like a moaning invader, coming over here, stealing your rain, moaning about your homeland.

You'll probably learn to ignore me or tune me out somehow.
Fingers crossed.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It seems that Accyweb has its fair share of infrequent posters

The fact that none of them have a v-card makes you wonder just who is creating the profiles.
Perhaps there hoping to attain one of those lovely medals, with yellow ribbon? which i reckon the ribbon color would be very apt.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It seems that Accyweb has its fair share of infrequent posters who pop on occasionally to give the proverbial a good stir to try and leg people up and trick them into saying something which they'll regret.

Ya Ken very strange that, it appears that these sort of people are very savvy with the workings of these sites as the v-card can trip up people who say they are something they are not, something which as happened on here before

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..