Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2005, 11:26   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: London Alert

It must be a nightmare.

From a purely selfish point of view, l travelled into the westend everyday for seventeen years on the Northern and Victoria lines, both of which have now been closed again. According to the news a suspected terrorist has been shot at Stockwell tube station which is the interchange station of the two lines.

When the Tube used to go on strike, not having the infrastructure in place that allows millions of people to go about their daily lives, used to result in chaos. It once took six hours for what should have been a 40 minute journey. You can't even walk as all the pavements are jam packed. This is worse though because if you do get on to some form of transport, you have other fears.

We all hoped the other week was a terrible one off attack, apparently not. All sides of the community need to help the police with any information, and after what happened the other week and the terrorists coming from Yorkshire, that includes us all nationwide.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2005, 15:29   #32
Resting in Peace

Garinda well said about letting police know ANY information and that members of ALL the coumminties have got to be open to the police when giving information.

I know that we're away from the Capital but it could still affect this area if some people take it into their own hands to "settle scores". These people will also have to be stopped as the coumminties are both upset over what has happened.

RE shoot to kill I think that if the police are faced with a sucide bomber that person is willing to die so why should they be allowed to take innocent people with them. The officers will have to live with the fact that they took someones life but at the end of the day it may have resulted in saving loads of passengers and fellow police officers.

Let us hope and pray that this is the end of these attacks (I doubt it) and that they dont start to bomb elsewhere!!!!
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:14   #33
God Member

Re: Gotcha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
... I wonder now how long it will be before the civil liberties mob start screamng about a "shoot-to-kill " policy?
Oh dear. That quote was this morning. This was the BBC this afternoon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4707781.stm

I can't wait to read the Guardian & the Independant tomorrow...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:25   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whilst agreeing with the policy if thats what it is,i would also agree with the muslem spokesperson in tealeafs link, that to allay fears of the muslem community the policy should be clearly defined so that eveyone knows the score. its a dangerous road to go down with it not being made clear.
Old 22-07-2005, 16:29   #35
Give, give, give member

I agree with Cashman, and not from a wooly liberal point of view. The police need to make clear what their policy is, it could inflame an already tinder dry situation.

Not really a time for cheap political point scoring.

Old 22-07-2005, 16:36   #36
God Member

So you think the police,the public and this terrorists should have a clearly defined set of rules to follow? Good Idea.Why not have a referee while we're at it...he can stand on the tube platform and tell the suicide bomber when he can press the button and he can tell the police when they can pull the trigger. A little bit like a western...everybody count to ten, then press or squeeze.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 22-07-2005 at 16:37.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 16:49   #37
Give, give, give member

No Tealeaf l don't think that, but given the situation were there are 900,000 Muslims apparently in London, nearly a tenth of the population, l think police guide lines need to be clear as far as a shoot to kill policy is concearned of 'alleged' suicide bombers, so we don't have more of a backlash.

It is only a little over ten years ago that the Balkan states had a civil war, were neighbour fought neighbour over religious differences and idealologies. We musn't let anything like that happen here.

Your use of 'civil liberties mob..........screaming' in this case seemed unnecessary, that's all.

Last edited by garinda; 22-07-2005 at 16:50.
Old 22-07-2005, 16:59   #38
Member.

What is it that’s not clear here, why are people whimpering, if you are acting within the law you will be safe no matter what your colour, religion or culture. I don’t know what nationality this unfortunate person who died today, but I am sure that if he hadn’t run he would be breathing now. Shoot to Kill Polices are use for one specific reason. It keeps the public safe at times of doubt. Run you get shoot, stay still and do as your told you will live. Its quite clear. If you want ****ing Human Rights speak to those who died on the 7th July.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 17:06   #39
Give, give, give member

Apparently the man was Asian.

If he was a suicide bomber l'm glad he's dead don't get me wrong. l just think that because these so called young Muslims apparently feel threatened, the police should release as much information as is possible without putting at risk enquires and on going surveillance.

Old 22-07-2005, 17:19   #40
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Apparently the man was Asian.

If he was a suicide bomber l'm glad he's dead don't get me wrong. l just think that because these so called young Muslims apparently feel threatened, the police should release as much information as is possible without putting at risk enquires and on going surveillance.
I think a lot of people in and around London feel threatened. I think the authorities should say nothing unless enquires are completed. Yesterday Crispin Black disclosed the fact that these bombs didn’t go off because of decay of the materials used. Perhaps yesterday the murders might not have understood that fact. Tomorrow they will and tomorrow many more will die……This is a situation that the people of this country didn’t ask for. The less information we provide these people the quicker this will end.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-07-2005, 19:27   #41
Give, give, give member

Sorry, but l still think a clear statement about a shoot to kill policy would alleviate some fears of people living in the areas affected so far.

This man apperantly didn't respond to requests made by the police [some of whom were undercover,] to stop.

Like l said, for nearly half my life l interchanged at Stockwell tube station. Like everyone else, l feel sorry for what people had to witness today whilst going about their daily business.

Old 22-07-2005, 20:15   #42
Member.

Yesterday they might have witnessed worse; tomorrow they may just witness a scene that will never leave them. I don’t normally condone violence of any nature, but many solders and police officers died on the streets of Ireland because they tried to affect an arrest and were killed by Gunmen or by bombs left half way down the road and detonate from a distance by those they were trying to apprehend. I think the British Government and the Security Forces should make themselves absolutely clear. If you stop and cooperate all will be well, don’t and we will assume that you wish to put lives at risk and You Will Be Shot. Shoot to Kill means just that and it includes empting the chamber or magazine into the victim to ensure that innocent people don’t die needless deaths. It is harsh and regretful, but it’s time we grew some bollocks and stood up in this world, giving a clear statement that we are no longer a soft option.

For all those I have offended I will apologise to now. But the first time someone get through because we considered the human rights of a potential murder and didn’t shoot, I will take it back.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 22-07-2005 at 20:58.
Old 22-07-2005, 20:38   #43
God Member

A thorny moral dilemma. I wonder how the European Court would apply the relevant legislation in a case where the question was; whose human rights were more important, those of the bomber or those of his intended victims?

Would they decide for the bomber or the victims or would they just simply sit on the fence and uphold the legal principle that rights are inalienable irrespective of the situation?

Some pretty chilling observations there Doug.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 22-07-2005 at 20:42.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 21:02   #44
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
A thorny moral dilemma. I wonder how the European Court would apply the relevant legislation in a case where the question was; whose human rights were more important, those of the bomber or those of his intended victims?

Would they decide for the bomber or the victims or would they just simply sit on the fence and uphold the legal principle that rights are inalienable irrespective of the situation?

Some pretty chilling observations there Doug.
Not something I feel proud of Bob. I’m fearful that this is not over and I have a very unsettling feeling that things are going to get worse and I don’t think this will be contained to London.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 22-07-2005, 22:31   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its not about human rights of the evil sods doug its about a clearly defined policy.i.e.stop or we shoot to kill,which i happen to agree with if that is declared or something similar-fine,what part of that do you and tealeaf not get? then nobody would be under any illusions.also the human rights brigade etc could bleat to high heavan,people have been warned.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..